Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Was poor this morning, but with the series in the bag, I'm not too concerned. As I've said in earlier comments, there's tinkering to be done, but we're not that far off. The makings of something very good is there, they just need to find the final parts of the jigsaw, and learn how to be ruthless. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rodders said:

just watching the T20 Aus - v India

Commentator goes "Warner will want to keep them to 170 or less which is 10 an over or so" :wacko:

India absolutely hammered them, a well deserved win. Virat Kohli is such a wonderful batsman to watch, and has been on fire on this tour... his scores in the 1-day series were 91, 59, 117, 106, 8 followed by last nights 90 not out.

Big Bash final the other night too, great game. Superb innings (and tournaments) from both KP and from Khawaja, although looks like neither will be in their country's T20 World Cup squad. Madness.

Edited by MrDuck

12 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Was poor this morning, but with the series in the bag, I'm not too concerned. As I've said in earlier comments, there's tinkering to be done, but we're not that far off. The makings of something very good is there, they just need to find the final parts of the jigsaw, and learn how to be ruthless. 

I agree. I'd like to see a change or two. Maybe Vince in the middle order and I'd like someone like the young Curran (he's the left armer right?) being brought in early.

22 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

KP and from Khawaja, although looks like neither will be in their country's T20 World Cup squad. Madness.

I'm glad that Pietersen isn't anywhere near any England squad.

• Like 1

I hate the Mankad "controversy" that people moan about that is apparently not in the spirit of the game. well stay in your crease and follow the rules. West Indies are right for me in this instance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I hate the Mankad "controversy" that people moan about that is apparently not in the spirit of the game. well stay in your crease and follow the rules. West Indies are right for me in this instance

Unless I've read the wrong report, the batsman hadn't been warned and his bat was just on the line (i.e. he wasn't taking the piss).

Not just bad form but against the spirit of the game in my view. The spirit of the game is in the preamble to the laws of the game:

Cricket is a game that owes much of its unique appeal to the fact that it should be played not only within its Laws but also within the Spirit of the Game.

'Rules'? **** off.

• Like 2

On 3 February 2016 at 02:12, snowychap said:

Not just bad form but against the spirit of the game in my view.

This is a commonly held view, but it (that view) is IMO utter tosh. The spirit of the game is about "fair play" and respecting the participants and respecting the aspects of the laws which might not actually be documented, but are nevertheless implicit. For a non-striker to "sneak" yards while the bowler is running in, with the single purpose of gaining an advantage in making it easier to make his ground for a quick single (or more) - that's not "in the spirit of the game" - so for the bowler to first warn him, via stopping and making to break the wicket, or actually breaking the wicket but no appealing, and then if the batter does it again to actually break the wicket and appeal - that's all fair and above board to me. It's something, too that we were taught when I was learning to play, and which when I played club cricket was also the accepted norm. Though I confess I've never seen an actual mankading in a game I've played in or watched live. It's never got that far.  Basically I agree with Zatman - leave your bat grounded behind the crease and abide by the laws of the game. If you don't and get mankaded, tough.

I reckon it should be up to the umpire to decide whether the batsman is taking the piss with the backing up and warn him, a bit like a bowler when he's running on the pitch.  Then after that the bowler can mankad if he likes.  I doubt anyone can say that Zimbabwe batsman was trying to steal a run, his bat was on the line.

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is a commonly held view, but it (that view) is IMO utter tosh.

Perhaps you ought to have read my post before calling what I said utter tosh and then going on to argue about something else, Peter.

I said:

On 03/02/2016 at 02:12, snowychap said:

Unless I've read the wrong report, the batsman hadn't been warned and his bat was just on the line (i.e. he wasn't taking the piss).

Your post said:

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

For a non-striker to "sneak" yards while the bowler is running in, with the single purpose of gaining an advantage in making it easier to make his ground for a quick single (or more) - that's not "in the spirit of the game" - so for the bowler to first warn him, via stopping and making to break the wicket, or actually breaking the wicket but no appealing, and then if the batter does it again to actually break the wicket and appeal - that's all fair and above board to me.

I have no problem if the bowler has warned the batsman and he keeps trying to 'sneak yards'.

As I posted about the Butter dismissal from 18 months ago:

On 03/06/2014 at 22:30, snowychap said:

Just saw the dismissal on the news. He wasn't just sauntering an inch or two out of his ground, was he? He was a good yard out. If the bowler has warned the player then the person taking the piss is the guy backing up too much.

Batsman, bowler, fielder, captain and all others should act within the spirit of the game.

Edited by snowychap

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Perhaps you ought to have read my post before calling what I said utter tosh and then going on to argue about something else

Hands up. I'm sorry, snowy. I shouldn't have quoted your post when I did my reply. You're right and I agree with you. By quoting you I made it look like I was arguing with you, or putting words into your mouth and that was wrong of me and a mistake (and not what I intended to portray) . I apologise. It was a bad post.

edit - what I should have said is I agree with both Zat and your posts, and my comment was a general one on mankading and the view that it's always wrong or against the spirit....

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Hands up. I'm sorry, snowy. I shouldn't have quoted your post when I did my reply. You're right and I agree with you. By quoting you I made it look like I was arguing with you, or putting words into your mouth and that was wrong of me and a mistake. I apologise.

No worries. My reply was quite short tempered - sorry for that. I'll put it down to the hangover. :blush:

I see the squad has been named for the T20 World Cup:

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt)                                                       
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Jordan (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Reece Topley (Hampshire)
James Vince (Hampshire)
David Willey (Yorkshire)

Interesting squad. Was Obvious KP wasn't going to get a look in, but Luke Wright has been pulling up trees (not that I've ever been his biggest fan), so was thinking he'd get a look in. Also for the last two seasons, Woakes has been just about the best death bowler in the T20 Champoinship. I know his form is a little off (in the test side), but I'd have took him over Jordan every day of the week.

Edited by dAVe80

I would have taken Broad, I know he hasn't played much recently as he has been rightly been rested for Tests but I would bank on him being better than Jordan.  Unless Woakes gets a gig in the last two ODIs and does well, his international career may be over.  I think Wright is just short of international class.

Not sure how we managed to lose that. Rashid holds on to that catch, and we're winning the series. Sets it up nicely for the final match though I suppose.

"Happy Valentine's darling, we're watching the cricket all day."

• Like 2

Â