Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Re: Ian Bell - I remember Shane Warne quoting someone about his retirement saying "it's better they ask why has he retired, than why hasn't he..." I wouldn't be upset, Bell has been a giant amongst men at times, and both modest and understated too.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PongRiddims said:

Re: Ian Bell - I remember Shane Warne quoting someone about his retirement saying "it's better they ask why has he retired, than why hasn't he..." I wouldn't be upset, Bell has been a giant amongst men at times, and both modest and understated too.

Funnily enough, that was on TV today. Pretty sure it was Ian Chappell. 

42 minutes ago, PongRiddims said: Re: Ian Bell - I remember Shane Warne quoting someone about his retirement saying "it's better they ask why has he retired, than why hasn't he..." I wouldn't be upset, Bell has been a giant amongst men at times, and both modest and understated too.

Funnily enough, that was on TV today. Pretty sure it was Ian Chappell. 

Was it on that Shane Warne Living The Life documentary thing?

good win for that, Buttler not playing was a bit odd, but considering it was Vince and Billings ( plus skipper ) who got the runs on board perhaps a decision vindicated, although I expect to see him play tomorrow mind. Probably drop Rashid if they're not going to use his bowling.

T20 was fantastic tonight. Great game of cricket, that could have gone either way. When Boom Boom started smashing it around, I feared the worse, but some great death bowling from Woakes saw us home.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

His second to last over was utter dogshite though which made it a lot closer than it should have been.  

Totally, but you have to give some credit to Afridi. Plus it was a great come back to get his wicket, then see the match out in the final over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Woakes is absolutely quality at death bowling.

The only time he's ever let me down was in the t20 quarter finals with the Bears.

Was that Hampshire when he bowled two waste high full tosses which went for 6 and he couldn't finish his over? He has improved a lot as a death bowler since then. 

• Like 1

I don't think I'm being wise after the event; I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread so ........ how many more chances is Moeen Ali going to have ? He is not up to it as a batsman and certainly not as a front line bowler.

Amazing from Jordan after his rot earlier on and I have to disagree re Moeen - he's not had the best T20 tour batting wise - two ducks - that can happen, but he's been pushed around a bit as the utlity guy who can play anywhere which hasn't helped. He wasn't up to scratch as an opener and he's not yet got the consistency to be a test playing no 1 spinner, but he is still an excellent middle order batsman who can provide useful support with bowling. That he's been misused a bit isn't his fault. He could maybe do with a bit of a break to work on the bowling side of things as I think that's how the England top order think he's worth his spot, but I think it's very harsh to suggest he's definitely not up to it.

And gotta feel a bit fo Malik as well - trop innings and they probably ought to have edged it, but there we go a whiteash for England. The pakistani running continues to be hilarious though

• Like 1

Credit to Jordan because i thought earlier and thought it was a strange pick for the super over.

Yes Moeen has opened the batting in odi and managed a couple of hundreds then he's been pushed down the order then back up. He'll be back to 8 in South Africa. I think he was Englands most economical bowler in the odis as well but wasn't great in the tests but was still Englands leading spinner, which doesn't say much I know.

Perhaps you are all right; let's see how he goes in South Africa. I could just be feeling curmudgeonly 'cos I haven't been out on my bike for 3 days AND Warwickshire have my wife's membership up by £20 !!

• 4 weeks later...

Just when you think things couldn't get any worse in sport (AVFC's position), I find that  Brendan McCullum has signed for Middlesex !!!  I thought he was due to come back to Warks; I hope they've got a decent overseas signing lined up  -  they've had my money now .... and cashed the cheque !

Â