Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Goodbye, Brian Close:

Former England, Yorkshire and Somerset captain Brian Close has died, aged 84.

The Yorkshireman is the youngest player to have won a Test cap for England, making his debut as an 18-year-old against New Zealand in 1949.

Close, who was known for his brave batting, captained his country seven times in 22 Tests, and led Yorkshire to four County Championship titles.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan, who was coached by Close at Yorkshire, called him "a true inspiration".

Close, who lived in Baildon, West Yorkshire, died on Sunday. He leaves a widow, a son and a daughter.

...more on link

• Like 1

Yep, very sad to hear of his passing. I remember that innings against West Indies, where their fast bowlers, particularly the now avuncular Holding, seemed to think the stumps were somewhere near Close's face. Realise that bouncers are part of the game but I thought that display was excessive; seem to think even the umpire called a halt to it eventually. A fabulous cricketer IMO  -don't know if we will see the like of him again.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

More butterfingers from Bell and another wicket off a no ball for England today. Tits.

Wicket sounds like a road too. Not going to be many chances, so need to take the wickets when they come. Some big scores on offer to the batsmen, if they get in.

I do wonder why they bother playing in the UAE (obviously I'm aware of why they can't play in Pakistan), in conditions like this. It's not even as if they're doing it to get 5 days ticket. There's no one there!

pitches like this are just pathetic. Obviously scoreboard pressure helps Pakistan so they can still win it as we will be tired when we bat later, but it's no contest at all. I think the cumulative score on this pitch lately is around 1400 / 8

said during the Ashes, test cricket is way too favourable to the home team these days and its putting people off. Maybe ICC need to bring in impartial groundsman to put in the wickets for Test matches

• Like 1

In fairness Pakistan aren't really at home but its what it is, you cant drop catches and get wickets with no balls and expect to bowl teams out over there. This one will be the flattest of the three. Well played Malik. He was at Warwickshire for a bit two years ago.

Edited by PaulC

England will lose this test. The Ashes taught us that they bottle it in the face of scoreboard pressure and will do so again here. 

The openers will scratch around for a few runs before getting spun out, the knobheads in the middle order will swing the bat about like its a 20/20 game and the tail will wag just enough to highlight how bad the rest of the batting line up is just in time to be all out for 200. 

not even England can collapse on this pitch. Lifeless. Passed the follow on - on day 4. Hope once Cook get's his 200, they really try and drive on and score quickly, they can afford to lose a couple of wickets. Playing at 2.5 an over for the rest of the day is overly conservative.

not even England can collapse on this pitch. Lifeless. Passed the follow on - on day 4. Hope once Cook get's his 200, they really try and drive on and score quickly, they can afford to lose a couple of wickets. Playing at 2.5 an over for the rest of the day is overly conservative.

It appears I did underestimate just how awful this pitch it. 

Yes its a truly awful wicket, but I have to give immense credit to Cook for this innings of the ultimate concentration, without it England would have lost this game. Best opener we have ever had I think.

He's closing in on Compton's record against Pakistan set as far back as 1954

Edited by PaulC

Â