The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Khan will get knocked out, he won't be able to run around Canelo all night, can't wait to see this.

Massive joke that this is for a middleweight title though. Neither are even middleweights.

Great fight for Khan, it's a win win for him. Massive payday for him, huge implications if he wins, if he loses well then it's a case of his opponent is world class and much bigger so it's not going to harm him too much.

I think he will cause Canelo lots of problems in the first 3/4 rounds with his speed then he will get caught out and it will be good night

He'd probably make more from a UK showdown with Brook being the A-side than being the B side to Canelo. Canelo is hardly established as a PPV draw so it's not clear this fight will even do decent numbers. 

The fight isn't really credible, a welterweight who has done **** all at welterweight to fight a 'middleweight' at 155lb catchweight. If (more like when) he loses he probably doesn't have much of a career left. At his age, going back down in weight is much, much harder, so is he going to stick at around 154lbs and fight junior middleweight? 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 03/02/2016 at 09:17, Dr_Pangloss said:

He'd probably make more from a UK showdown with Brook being the A-side than being the B side to Canelo. Canelo is hardly established as a PPV draw so it's not clear this fight will even do decent numbers. 

The fight isn't really credible, a welterweight who has done **** all at welterweight to fight a 'middleweight' at 155lb catchweight. If (more like when) he loses he probably doesn't have much of a career left. At his age, going back down in weight is much, much harder, so is he going to stick at around 154lbs and fight junior middleweight? 

This was my initial thought. I'm sure he'll be able to still get the Brook fight afterwards, but going in to that after a bad knockout (which is the only way I can see this fight going for Khan) then he'll have to be dreaming to be demanding anything like the same split as he wanted previously.

Looks like Joshua will become a world champ, he's in talks to fight Charles Martin for the IBF strap. Charles Martin is a shit bum and the worst title holder in recent history. The IBF title was stripped from Fury due to his rematch clause with Klitschko. Charles Martin won the title in a bout with Glazkov (another bum) due to Glazkov retiring with an injury. 

It's a shame that Joshua will become a world champion without being actually tested, but this all plays into his teams very careful marketing and progression plan. Building his profile whilst taking minimal risks - a world (paper) title will boost his profile and marketability even further.

Looks like Joshua will become a world champ, he's in talks to fight Charles Martin for the IBF strap. Charles Martin is a shit bum and the worst title holder in recent history. The IBF title was stripped from Fury due to his rematch clause with Klitschko. Charles Martin won the title in a bout with Glazkov (another bum) due to Glazkov retiring with an injury. 

It's a shame that Joshua will become a world champion without being actually tested, but this all plays into his teams very careful marketing and progression plan. Building his profile whilst taking minimal risks - a world (paper) title will boost his profile and marketability even further.

Eddie hearn once again..pad his fighters records with bums

• Like 1

Joshua opponent to be announced today at 6PM. Most probably Charles Martin, however not certain.

Fury put out the following on Twitter: Some massive news coming soon, had to come to London for an urgent meeting about a massive fight,TBA very soon, u will not believe who!!!!!!

I severely doubt it is Joshua and purely Tyson Fury being Tyson Fury but you never know...

So looks like Joshua vs Martin is on, Martin is the worst heavyweight champ I've ever seen.

Also just saw that Quigg vs Frampton is on PPV, well done Sky on ruining British boxing, this is the sort of fight that would have been on ITV back in the day, it's no wonder very few give a shit about boxing anymore. 

• Like 3

Joshua and Martin. Shit me Eddie Hearn you are such a clearing in the woods, please put him in with someone half decent. 3rd round Joshua this one

Be interesting if he could have banged him in with David Haye a little later in the year. Doubt Haye would win that, but it'll give Joshua a little more of a challenge.

So Kovalev vs Ward has been agreed and finalised for November. I'm looking forward to this, not really the time to go into details, but I really fancy Kovalev to win this fight. I do not see Ward dealing with Kovalev's jab and power that well, I do not think Ward has the power to keep Kovalev honest and I do not think that Ward will be able to use his 'rough em up and make it ugly on the side' tactics against a guy who is at least as big as him. I predict quite a long night for Ward.

Both guys have a 'tune up' ahead of this big fight. Kovalev will probably take one of his mandatories and have an easy night. Ward has to fight Sullivan Barrera next month. I think Barrera could give him a tough fight. Barrera is a big lightheavyweight with height and reach advantages over Ward. He has good boxing skills and has power. But he is quite slow and open, and tends to fight 'shorter' than his 6 ft 2 frame would allow. Ward's speed should see him through, but I expect Barrera to have some decent moments. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Looking forward to it too.  I've really gone off Ward in recent years, he's been all mouth and no trousers for far too long. He's a very gifted fighter but even Gabby Agbonlahor has got me out of my seat more recently than Ward. Kovalev on the other hand is in beast mode at the moment, I can see him winning this one by stoppage. 

Frampton vs Quigg has been getting whipped up into a frenzy by Sky. It's a good fight, but despite both being world champions neither have really beaten any top quality opposition. There's nice bit of rivalry beneath this with neither fighter liking each other, would be the perfect ITV fight but hey ho, Sky PPV it is, as Eddie Hearn does his best to make boxing even more irrelevant in this country.

IMO Frampton is the vastly superior and more skilled of the two. He's faster, far more cerebral and punches in combination better, with better angles and variety. But Quigg is much, much bigger, both in terms of height, reach and weight on the night. Quigg IMO probably has the edge in power. 

I'm of the opinion that Frampton is quite fragile. In his last fight, against a guy called Alejandro Gonzalez, he was knocked down twice, and visibly hurt not only from one of the knock downs, but also by a couple of shots after that. Now Gonzalez is what you'd call a 'club' fighter, a tough kid who's primary stage is the Mexican 'club' scene (semi-pro). This for me doesn't bode too well for Frampton going forward. 

For that reason I rather fancy Quigg to win the fight, either by knock out or by a margin that is widened by a couple of knockdowns. I think Frampton will outclass him at times, but I see Quigg as the way more durable fighter who will keep coming forward and have opportunities to land his own big shots, and I believe Frampton is not as well equipped for Quigg's power and Quigg is for Frampton's. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Frampton vs Quigg has been getting whipped up into a frenzy by Sky. It's a good fight, but despite both being world champions neither have really beaten any top quality opposition. There's nice bit of rivalry beneath this with neither fighter liking each other, would be the perfect ITV fight but hey ho, Sky PPV it is, as Eddie Hearn does his best to make boxing even more irrelevant in this country.

IMO Frampton is the vastly superior and more skilled of the two. He's faster, far more cerebral and punches in combination better, with better angles and variety. But Quigg is much, much bigger, both in terms of height, reach and weight on the night. Quigg IMO probably has the edge in power. 

I'm of the opinion that Frampton is quite fragile. In his last fight, against a guy called Alejandro Gonzalez, he was knocked down twice, and visibly hurt not only from one of the knock downs, but also by a couple of shots after that. Now Gonzalez is what you'd call a 'club' fighter, a tough kid who's primary stage is the Mexican 'club' scene (semi-pro). This for me doesn't bode too well for Frampton going forward. 

For that reason I rather fancy Quigg to win the fight, either by knock out or by a margin that is widened by a couple of knockdowns. I think Frampton will outclass him at times, but I see Quigg as the way more durable fighter who will keep coming forward and have opportunities to land his own big shots, and I believe Frampton is not as well equipped for Quigg's power and Quigg is for Frampton's. 

I've been waiting for your review of the fight, thanks.

Funnily enough I totally agree, I've been a casual fan of Frampton for a while now and didn't know much about Quigg if I'm honest but after reviewing some of their recent fights including both of them fighting Martinez I'm definitely leaning towards Quigg myself. Also in all the pre-fight build-up Frampton looks more nervous if I'm honest, Quigg looks like he can't wait and that speaks volumes as well.

With Quigg being the underdog I'm definitely going to be having a small punt.

23 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I've been waiting for your review of the fight, thanks.

Funnily enough I totally agree, I've been a casual fan of Frampton for a while now and didn't know much about Quigg if I'm honest but after reviewing some of their recent fights including both of them fighting Martinez I'm definitely leaning towards Quigg myself. Also in all the pre-fight build-up Frampton looks more nervous if I'm honest, Quigg looks like he can't wait and that speaks volumes as well.

With Quigg being the underdog I'm definitely going to be having a small punt.

I hope Quigg wins.

I cannot stand Carl Frampton, I can't stand the McGuigan's either. I find them really irritating, even more than Eddie Hearn which is quite something as he is a grade A tosser!

Â