The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm always confusing Wald and Vitaly Klitscho, does the other one still box? Who will have a greater legacy in Boxing?

Vitali is retired. Wladimir has the much greater legacy in terms of titles won, resume and number of defenses, but Vitali is rightly considered the more formidable of the two in his prime. Vitali was much more unorthodox, had a better chin and had much more of an improvisational quality to his boxing, great fighter. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I told you he could do it. That was a masterclass by Fury, absolutely, comprehensively out boxed him and he visibly hurt Wladimir twice in round 11.

I feel pretty smug and vindicated right now! And yes I cashed in big.

The mindgames actually really worked as well

Wlad looked fatigued and drained before he even got in the ring

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm always confusing Wald and Vitaly Klitscho, does the other one still box? Who will have a greater legacy in Boxing?

Vitali is mayor of Kiev these days.  He was considering a run at the Presidency of Ukraine last year, decided against it but it wouldn't surprise me to see him elected one day. 

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he's an embarrassment, he was before the fight, he will be after the fight, i think once the shock over the fact that he's actually done it has died down people will start to see this for what it is

how can you say someone is an embarrassment when they have just won the world heavyweight championship?? 

1 hour ago, Kingman said: The best thing about that load of crap was i didn't pay for it. 

Antony Joshua would knock him into next week!

Unlikely, he's all hype until he beats someone with a pulse. 

Hearn is the master of gaining interest in casual boxing fans by padding his boxers records with bums (Brook and Joshua).

I think Wilder has the best chance of bating Fury imo

terrible fight and wladimir should be embarrassed of himself. ok furys tactics unsettled him but there is no excuse for how bad he boxed. as for fury, well he deserved it but in my eyes hes still an awful fighter and it shows how bad heavy weight boxing is with him being world champion. one of the worse big fights ive watched, mike tyson in his day would of knocked both of them out  in the first minute of the fight.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said: he's an embarrassment, he was before the fight, he will be after the fight, i think once the shock over the fact that he's actually done it has died down people will start to see this for what it is

how can you say someone is an embarrassment when they have just won the world heavyweight championship?? 

Didn't see him singing Aerosmith then?

That's Fury's schtick though, he likes playing the unpredictable unhinged wildman, it keeps people talking about him and like it or not that's what puts bums on seats.  He doesn't care whether people are watching him to cheer him on or in the hope that he gets sparked out, all that matters is the fact that they are watching. He knows boxing is showbiz, he has a persona and it helps him generate column inches, talk his way into big fights and get inside the head of opponents. I think he certainly managed to get in Wlad's head these past few months.  

You see a bit more of the real Tyson Fury in the ring post fight and again in the post fight press conference, he's quite a humble guy when he wants to be. 

Didn't stay up for the fight but I see DeGale had a wide points win over Lucian Bute in Canada.  Bute never did recover from his annihilation at the hands of Carl Froch, did he?

Edited by The_Rev

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

terrible fight and wladimir should be embarrassed of himself. ok furys tactics unsettled him but there is no excuse for how bad he boxed. as for fury, well he deserved it but in my eyes hes still an awful fighter and it shows how bad heavy weight boxing is with him being world champion. one of the worse big fights ive watched, mike tyson in his day would of knocked both of them out  in the first minute of the fight.

I think there are very good excuses for Wladimir's performance, and it's 100% down to Fury's tactics and boxing ability. 

If you watch Wlad's post fight interview, he talks about how he couldn't set the right hand because of Fury's head movement. He talks about how he struggled with the distance. Fury controlled the distance, and bossed the fight with his jab, amazingly, his jab proved to be much better than Klitschko's. Fury has one of the very best jabs in the entire sport of boxing. 

I said after the weigh in that Fury will go for speed and movement and that's exactly what he did, I also said that Wladimir has never really had to adjust in fights and probably can't, and that's exactly what happened, no plan B for Fury's movement and length. 

The only thing I wanted to see from Fury was more uppercuts and straight right hands, he was looping his right too much, shorter, straighter right hands would have landed. 

In round 11 I thought the knockout was there for Fury but he didn't want to press the issue too much as he had banked so many rounds, and Wladimir's power is so immense that it wasn't worth the risk. 

Fury is definitely not an 'awful' fighter by any stretch of the imagination, Fury is quality. I do however agree with you that the division sucks, and has done for a long time, but that's probably another discussion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think there are very good excuses for Wladimir's performance, and it's 100% down to Fury's tactics and boxing ability. 

If you watch Wlad's post fight interview, he talks about how he couldn't set the right hand because of Fury's head movement. He talks about how he struggled with the distance. Fury controlled the distance, and bossed the fight with his jab, amazingly, his jab proved to be much better than Klitschko's. Fury has one of the very best jabs in the entire sport of boxing. 

I said after the weigh in that Fury will go for speed and movement and that's exactly what he did, I also said that Wladimir has never really had to adjust in fights and probably can't, and that's exactly what happened, no plan B for Fury's movement and length. 

The only thing I wanted to see from Fury was more uppercuts and straight right hands, he was looping his right too much, shorter, straighter right hands would have landed. 

In round 11 I thought the knockout was there for Fury but he didn't want to press the issue too much as he had banked so many rounds, and Wladimir's power is so immense that it wasn't worth the risk. 

Fury is definitely not an 'awful' fighter by any stretch of the imagination, Fury is quality. I do however agree with you that the division sucks, and has done for a long time, but that's probably another discussion.

definitely agree that fury unsettled wlad and probably showed wlad for what he is, a very average fighter in terms of comparing him to the greats. in terms of fury he done well last night i admit but i just dont rate him at all and its an embarrassment to heavy weight boxing that hes world champion. wlad is so boring and has no style whatsoever and the fact that hes been top dog for so long tells you everything you need to know. i grew up watching some great heavy weights, my favourite being mike tyson. can you imagine them pair in with mike tyson? one thing about fury which i do like is that hes an entertainer and you need that in boxing.

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

That's Fury's schtick though, he likes playing the unpredictable unhinged wildman, it keeps people talking about him and like it or not that's what puts bums on seats.  He doesn't care whether people are watching him to cheer him on or in the hope that he gets sparked out, all that matters is the fact that they are watching. He knows boxing is showbiz, he has a persona and it helps him generate column inches, talk his way into big fights and get inside the head of opponents. I think he certainly managed to get in Wlad's head these past few months.  

You see a bit more of the real Tyson Fury in the ring post fight and again in the post fight press conference, he's quite a humble guy when he wants to be. 

Didn't stay up for the fight but I see DeGale had a wide points win over Lucian Bute in Canada.  Bute never did recover from his annihilation at the hands of Carl Froch, did he?

i used to hate fury untili saw another side of him, which is a very humble and down to earth man.infact he comes across a decent bloke.

30 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

definitely agree that fury unsettled wlad and probably showed wlad for what he is, a very average fighter in terms of comparing him to the greats. in terms of fury he done well last night i admit but i just dont rate him at all and its an embarrassment to heavy weight boxing that hes world champion. wlad is so boring and has no style whatsoever and the fact that hes been top dog for so long tells you everything you need to know. i grew up watching some great heavy weights, my favourite being mike tyson. can you imagine them pair in with mike tyson? one thing about fury which i do like is that hes an entertainer and you need that in boxing.

At 5 ft 10, I'd imagine that Mike Tyson would have an extremely hard time getting inside on the likes of Wladimir and Tyson Fury, he's just too small. 

I actually find Mike to be pretty overrated, he never really beat anyone in his prime, it was either borderline bums, contenders who in the grand scheme of things were nothing more than solid (Razor Ruddock, Tucker, Bruno) and big names who were basically retired at the point of fighting him (Spinks and Holmes). After his stint in the clink he got his ass kicked by Holyfield and a few years after got flattened by Lennox Lewis. 

Basically I just think he'd be too small for the era of 'super' heavyweights. I agree that heavyweight boxing has sucked for a long time and is no where near as entertaining as it used to be, but the requirements now are very, very unique and the challenges are very different to yesteryear. Small guys just have little to no chance of getting beyond the long and highly authoritative jab that these very big guys have.

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I told you he could do it. That was a masterclass by Fury, absolutely, comprehensively out boxed him and he visibly hurt Wladimir twice in round 11.

I feel pretty smug and vindicated right now! And yes I cashed in big.

It was a masterclass outside the ring to. All the daft antics before, the issue with the gloves, the canvass, making wlad re tape his hands before. He unsettled klitschko before they got in the ring. Very clever stuff from the Fury camp, and very clever stuff in the ring. Fury has come on leaps and bounds over the years since his early days. Fury is a very shrewd operator indeed. I have totally changed my opinion of him as a boxer and think he deserves an awful lot of credit

• Like 1

Just now, KHV said:

It was a masterclass outside the ring to. All the daft antics before, the issue with the gloves, the canvass, making wlad re tape his hands before. He unsettled klitschko before they got in the ring. Very clever stuff from the Fury camp, and very clever stuff in the ring. Fury has come on leaps and bounds over the years since his early days. Fury is a very shrewd operator indeed. I have totally changed my opinion of him as a boxer and think he deserves an awful lot of credit

I respect what he did. The Klitschko team should an outrageous lack of class and games man ship to try and get an advantage over Fury. The glove wrapping incident was highly suspect, outrageous that team Klitschko would not have a member of Fury's team present. The canvas padding was also a disgrace and rightly got removed, a ring really should only have around 2 inches of padding on the canvas, whereas this one had something like 5 inches until removed. 

I love the fact that he stuck to his guns and threatened to walk out of the area if not treated fairly. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

At 5 ft 10, I'd imagine that Mike Tyson would have an extremely hard time getting inside on the likes of Wladimir and Tyson Fury, he's just too small. 

I actually find Mike to be pretty overrated, he never really beat anyone in his prime, it was either borderline bums, contenders who in the grand scheme of things were nothing more than solid (Razor Ruddock, Tucker, Bruno) and big names who were basically retired at the point of fighting him (Spinks and Holmes). After his stint in the clink he got his ass kicked by Holyfield and a few years after got flattened by Lennox Lewis. 

Basically I just think he'd be too small for the era of 'super' heavyweights. I agree that heavyweight boxing has sucked for a long time and is no where near as entertaining as it used to be, but the requirements now are very, very unique and the challenges are very different to yesteryear. Small guys just have little to no chance of getting beyond the long and highly authoritative jab that these very big guys have.

yeah mike did go downhill a bit but is it any surprise as the guy was clearly a nutcase. i just think he would of smashed wlad and fury to bits with his speed and power. im happy for fury as i have seen a different side to the bloke and anyone whos a friend of jesus is a friend of mine ;)

Â