The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Also has to be said that last night was a bit of a black eye for Jay Z's Roc Nation venture into the sport of boxing. His big names are Cotto, Rigondeaux and Andre Ward. 

Ward appears to be emotionally unstable and unclear about whether he really wants to actually dare to be great again. Cotto just lost his biggest fight in a long time and doesn't have long left and will never headline a PPV event again. Rigondeaux looked absolutely dreadful against a club fighter (I actually think Rigo is a knockout waiting to happen but will go into that a later date). 

Going forward Ward just cannot attract buzz or interest because his style is hardly fan friendly but his personality is probably his biggest barrier (reluctance to genuinely test himself against top talent and let's face it, the guy is just boring).

Roc Nation is in desperate need of attracting fresh talent who are going places, else it will be a flash in the pan just like 50 Cent's venture. 

Ward and Kovalev are fighting in 2016 thats a massive fight

If it happens, Ward claiming he needs 3 tune up's makes it all a little suspect in my opinion, and even then, it's hardly a massive fight beyond observant boxing fans. If it was to made PPV (and it's questionable whether it even would be), it will not sell particularly well. 

Had the same concerns about Roc Nation myself after watching that American card on Saturday night. Rigo was absolutely terrible, he didn't even seem interested, very strange.

Think Ward Kovalev will be a great watch but like you said, Ward has never been a big draw. 

It's sad to see boxing how it is with the politics of the different promoters, advisors and sanctioning bodies. The WBA are taking the p*ss with their belts as well, they can have up to 4 world champions at once technically (with a super, regular, interim and champion in recess I believe). None of them are going anywhere so it's only going to get worse over time which is really sad for the sport.

• Like 1

Been enjoying the prolonged build up to the Fury/Klitschko fight, which is rare enough in itself these days. Not to the point where I can shake that feeling that Fury is going to be outclassed, but still it's going to be interesting.

Will be a 1 sided fight imo, Fury will either get sparked or will get dominated every round

I think he's seen the hype Fury has been getting and wants a piece of that action. He'll push over his rent-a-bum opponent in January and then set up (or try to) some sort of British Heavyweight superfight with Fury. Expect him at ringside at the weekend in Germany. 

Haye is reportedly broke, therefore he needs the money, I'm not sure how he has managed to squander his earnings from the Klitschko fight alone, where he earned a shocking £15m. 

I think he has been on the shelf for too long, basically 3 and a half years, he's now 35, and boxers with his style (explosive, ambush sort) do not have longevity and tend to be unable to carry on at their best into their mid to late 30s. 

The opponent he has picked is a total scrub and I'm sure Haye will look good in demolishing him, but I don't anticipate Haye winning a world title, I actually think he's a knock out waiting to happen, too small for heavyweight based on the current scene. 

Confirms what I said elsewhere, Fury is going to try to box at range, use that good jab of his and maximise his reach advantage and utilise his superior movement and footwork. He weighed a similar weight against Kevin Johnson and that was precisely his tactic. I still expect Fury to have a go on the inside but only later on in the fight when he feels he has frustrated Klitschko enough, or if he gets hurt early and has to try and do something. 

One other possibility is nerves, Fury has admittedly looked very cool and composed but behind that could be a lot of nerves, which can of course drop your weight down by a few pounds.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

My grandad told me to always trust an Irish lad's tip given to me by a random bloke off of a football forum on the internet so I've just put £5k on Fury to go down in the 6th.  

• Like 4

I have to say I think that Klit will dominate and possibly embarrass Fury, however I have had rows on people in the past who say that Fury is shite, he is deceptively good and works really well behind his jab when he wants to, for his size he isn't the biggest puncher around and as we have seen in the past he is liable to get dropped by the odd cruiserweight here and there so he doesn't have the greatest chin.

If he can stay on the outside and use his range and jab then he has a chance to make it competative, if he thinks he is going to confuse Klit by going southpaw in the 3rd rd then he will be knocked spark out, I want to see Fury win and think that with a bit of luck he could do it but I struggle to see past Klit either knocking him out because of his stupidity or a boring points win

I have to say I think that Klit will dominate and possibly embarrass Fury, however I have had rows on people in the past who say that Fury is shite, he is deceptively good and works really well behind his jab when he wants to, for his size he isn't the biggest puncher around and as we have seen in the past he is liable to get dropped by the odd cruiserweight here and there so he doesn't have the greatest chin.

If he can stay on the outside and use his range and jab then he has a chance to make it competative, if he thinks he is going to confuse Klit by going southpaw in the 3rd rd then he will be knocked spark out, I want to see Fury win and think that with a bit of luck he could do it but I struggle to see past Klit either knocking him out because of his stupidity or a boring points win

He will get dominated mate, Klitchsko is an ATG imo

13 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

If you want to back Fury then you have to make a leap of faith.

Excuse my Rumsfeld-isms but Wladimir is very much a 'known known', there things we 'know we know' about him. We know about his excellent jab, his ability to fight tall and pull back in straight line, his imperious straight right, a punch with hardly any 'tell' behind it, we also know how good his left hook is and how well he can hook off the jab. We also know that he simply cannot fight on the inside, and we also know that he has been stopped in fights 3 times, and has hit the canvas at least 10 times in his career.

Fury is a 'known unknown' - we know there are things that we do not know. For instance, against Chisora (second fight), Hammer and Kevin Johnson we saw a guy who, unprecedented for his size, could throw in combination whilst showing great stamina throughout, demonstrate very good agility and tremendously light feet for someone his size. We know he can do this, but we just don't know whether he can do that against an elite operator like Klitschko. So it's a total open question. (we do at least know that he lacks one punch power and has a suspect chin mind). 

There's also an element of the 'unknown unknown' about Fury. Fury has a very improvisational quality to his boxing, an ability to adjust on the fly, meaning that we simply don't know how he is going to adapt and strategise a fight. Wladimir on the other hand is highly, highly, structured, he's a chess player, but I've never been convinced that he has much of a plan B. I've never really seen Wladimir adjust during fights, maybe, if I'm charitable, I'd pick out the first fight with Tony Thompson, where he was probably losing narrowly after the first 3 or 4 rounds. But I've never really seen him adapt from being behind on the cards and turn a fight around. He either wins using his bread and butter or he loses. 

Wlad will win his usual risk averse structured fight behind the jab and Fury will take the payday he's been building up for months. I was considering watching it but I can't remember the last time I watched a Klitschko fight that ended up being exciting. 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Has Fury even peaked yet though

He's still relatively young in boxing terms 

He has definitely improved a lot over the past two years, you could argue he's not at his peak but I feel he's close, and when you get the call from Wladimir you really just have to take it at any stage of your career, such is the size of the opportunity and given how heavyweight boxing can turn on one punch. 

Â