General Chat

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Wasn't it called B-sides, Seasides and Freerides? I also had that, and ended up selling it to someone for £25 and bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. 

Yes it was, but last I searched I couldn't find any evidence of one in the style that I mentioned. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. I just gave it away, I didn't realise I could get £25 for it, damn. I never seem to have much luck with that kind of thing.

I sold it about 15 years ago, when CDs had some value. I doubt it would fetch that much now. I'd have probably given it away too, to be honest, as I'd not listened to it for a while. I was DJing at the time, and the guy spotted it in my collection. Offered me £25, and bought me beer. I'd paid maybe £12 for it, so snapped his hands off. Everyone was happy.  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Someone bought a cassette from me the once for about £50 (the actual price was in euros) I felt a bit bad (although the guy was really enthusiastic about it and actually told me to let him know if I wanted more), so I gave him a copy of the Tubby Hayes Voodoo single. Now I see the same tape (Applehead ‎– Crepaxian Interligne Mixtape ) has sold on discogs for £75.

Edited by useless

CDs in general are cheaper these days and less desirable to the buying public  but if one's rare enough they can still fetch a bit of money. There's a few I want but can't get them because they're too expensive.

japanese import cds are where its at!

basically i think what happens is english acts dont release singles in japan, so when they release an album they tag the b-sides on as bonus tracks, i spent ages in capital records shibuya 

when i was in china, again i think, because piracy is so high they dont even bother trying, cd shopping there you could get like a kasabian boxset, 4 albums, for £3, i got the beatles stereo boxset for £30, its £160 here

My mate bought Mr Brightside by the Killers (purely from the description from the record shop) for £2 on 7inch, the first time it was released. Listened to it once, didn't like it, so just put it on the shelf never to be listened to again. Few month later, they re-released it, and it was a massive hit. He ended up selling it on ebay to a guy in Norway for £87. 

• Like 1

Did they all come in packaging in the style of an old ladybird book? The only thing I remember about the music was that there was a cover of The Beatle's Daytripper on it with Liam Gallagher as guest vocalist.

5 minutes ago, coda said:

I was once on the same flight as OCS.

#firstclass #jetset

I'm on a plane right now. Sort of blows my mind I can post stuff on VT and listen to RadioWM full time reports on my laptop flying from New York to San Fran.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, useless said:

Did they all come in packaging in the style of an old ladybird book? The only thing I remember about the music was that there was a cover of The Beatle's Daytripper on it with Liam Gallagher as guest vocalist.

ive had a look, i've got the one in a brown cardboard cover, its got some good tracks on it, mrs jones, robin hood proper (there are a couple of live recordings on other albums, its one of their best songs) then acoustic versions of day we caught the train and the circle, mine hasnt got a book with it

talking vinly and OCS, i have got a record store day special from them etched with their signatures, not a clue what the song is i just got it cos it looked cool

all i've got with vinyl sales is bad beats, i flogged my 00s collection in my student days, im scared to look how much it could be worth now

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

I don't know what the hell I had then. I've just looked and I can't see it on discogs. It was definitely a CD and it was definitely a version of 'B-Sides, Seasides & Freerides'. I can't even remember how or why it came into my possession, hopefully someone has it now who will appreciate it.

id hope so too, i think b-sides and bootlegs are a thing of the past with MP3s and new music, instead you seem to get the remix, which is basically bollocks

to say i own a rare cd, or especially a pre hype (or even better pre record label) ep means something, to be able to download that ep a year after they actually broke through means absolutely nothing

dont get me wrong i dont own many but for example bloc party, i own the ep they released before silent alarm, i own 2 vinyls they released exclusively in america, i own 3 special edition cds that contain bonus tracks and 4 japanese import cds that have additional tracks on them...i could probably buy all of those songs off itunes and think absolutely nothing of it but at the same time get absolutely no enjoyment from them

I think the rarest thing I've got is a Goodiepal 7" which is limited to one. I've also got a 'one of album' by him as well, but only on cassette, but nothing rare in terms of more known artists. I was on another forum and they were debating what counts as rare, I was thinking something like a record released in a run of say an 100 copies, but they were saying figures like 10 lol. Not sure which is the most valuable record I've got, although trouble any of the ones I do have that might be worth a bit of money I don't like playing them because my record player's not very good and might damage them.

my mates dad had his dylan collection insured i think for £35k, not sure how much of it is rare and how much of it is purely because dylan has a lot of stuff, my mate has the same for oasis, everything they've ever done on cd and vinyl (including import singles like dont go away)  he was the one who told me about the japanese cds

i dont think ive got anything thats really rare, got a couple of libertines vinyls that are going for >£100, couple of boxsets but they fluctuate, always thought the one that got away was the clash singles (all their singles on individual vinyl as a boxset) but ive just found that for £50, ive got the 2 jam equivalents and the smiths one, got a kasabian fast fuse ep that they only sold at a live gig and a couple of beatles vinyls but i think they were mass produced

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

I've got a couple that might have be bit valuable. A shame I haven't got a few more like that that I actually want to sell. If I had collection worth thirty five thousand by one artist I'm not sure if I'd be able to resist selling it. I like looking on this site (collectors frenzy) that shows the biggest selling records of the day on ebay.

Edited by useless

Rita from Coronation Street released a record in the early seventies, called something like 'Our Street', i really wanted to listen to it out of curiosity but the only mention I could find of it at the time was on Japanese websites, they like some strange old records. I got Voices in Latin from there, before it was reissued over here.

R-2392545-1302359667.jpeg.jpg

edit

Wow it's on youtube now

Inevitably it's not very good though, lol.

Edited by useless

Â