General Chat

Stevo985

I'd put Oasis in the same category as bands like Cast, Ocean Color Scene and The Jam. Rather than compare them to Blur.

For whatever reason I've spent the last 2 days listening to OCS, absolutely love them, think it started cos a bunch of us had a sing along to Robin Hood whilst on the piss last weekend

• Like 1

I just googled total album sales for the 3 and Oasis sold the most (50 odd million) Radiohead next (30 odd million) and Blur nowhere near (around 14 million). All impressive of course, but it kind of shows how popular Oasis were at the time.

What's the story morning glory broke the boundaries of being in to oasis or even guitar music, there's about 4 songs on it that are still played daily on heart fm, if love to know what percentage of the country knows the lyrics to wonderwall, as a 31 year old English male it's almost a given in my mind that anyone the same would know that song, my mom would happily sing wonderwall, might not even know who it was by but still say she likes that song

Going back to the b-sides, wonderwall sums oasis up, huge song,mp layer everywhere, very much mainstream, b-sides included round our way and masterplan... The masterplan album does set them apart from a lot of the others

As for radiohead...I don't get it, never have

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't know what the modern equivalnt of this question would be, especially in terms of British music. On a wider scale it'd probably be Taylor Swift or Kanye West or something, I'd say Taylor Swift.

I'd go for Swifty, but only based on how much I love 'Shake It Off'. To be honest though, I've never really given Kanye much time.  

They're another band (Ocean Colour Scene) like Oasis with with a fan base, some catchy songs in a similar fashion, but I guess they didn't have the same image appeal/ background story, to be quite as successful.

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I'd go for Swifty, but only based on how much I love 'Shake It Off'. To be honest though, I've never really given Kanye much time.  

I go for Taylor based on Red and 1989 but then again I'd go for most bands in comparison to Kanye West's music. On his new album he has song called famous where he claims that Swift's success is down to him and she's not best pleased about it.

Just now, useless said:

I go for Taylor based on Red and 1989 but then again I'd go for most bands in comparison to Kanye West's music. On his new album he has song called famous where he claims that Swift's success is down to him and she's not best pleased about it.

Yeah, I read that yesterday. I did think it was a bit of silly claim. Although I also read that Kanye claims Swift gave the OK for the lyric, and she's fine with it. I'm not sure I actually care, although I suppose I did take the time to read it, when it came up on my Facebook feed. 

7 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:
11 minutes ago, useless said:

Yeah, I read that yesterday. I did think it was a bit of silly claim. Although I also read that Kanye claims Swift gave the OK for the lyric, and she's fine with it. I'm not sure I actually care, although I suppose I did take the time to read it, when it came up on my Facebook feed. 

I don't think he even believes it himself, it's just another thing to say that helps him live up this image he's built for himself as being really arrogant, I'm sure he might be but it's probably exaggerated a lot as a marketing ploy. The last I heard Taylor didn't like it and told him not to use it because she thought it was misogynist. If it's referring to the time when he stormed the stage at the VMAs in 2009, then she was already pretty successful by then anyway.

Edited by useless

58 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

oasis were huge in europe in their prime. did they ever crack america?

Their biggest tour was in 05 I think where they were selling out Madison Square Garden and other iconic venues.  They always blew their chance at making it huge in the US, largely due to Liam doing something daft.  Spitting on stage at the MTV awards, not going on tour to buy a house, not turning up for MTV Unplugged.  Im not sure his interview style crossed over particularly well either.  The way the video pans back at the start to reveal Liam cracks me up every time:

As for the music, the first few albums were great but it's the Masterplan album and the songs that didn't even make it that set them apart.  Also you could make a decent, more varied best of from their 2000+ onwards even despite the albums being a little bit shit on the whole.

• Like 2

I know she's famous for writing songs about former lovers and being venomous about it, but she's said that she moving on from that style and maturing. But with these claims from West, all bets are off, and she might well release a diss track in response.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What's the story morning glory broke the boundaries of being in to oasis or even guitar music, there's about 4 songs on it that are still played daily on heart fm, if love to know what percentage of the country knows the lyrics to wonderwall, as a 31 year old English male it's almost a given in my mind that anyone the same would know that song, my mom would happily sing wonderwall, might not even know who it was by but still say she likes that song

Going back to the b-sides, wonderwall sums oasis up, huge song,mp layer everywhere, very much mainstream, b-sides included round our way and masterplan... The masterplan album does set them apart from a lot of the others

As for radiohead...I don't get it, never have

thats probably why i dont listen to morning glory.

55 minutes ago, useless said:

They're another band (Ocean Colour Scene) like Oasis with with a fan base, some catchy songs in a similar fashion, but I guess they didn't have the same image appeal/ background story, to be quite as successful.

i think apart from moseley shoals which has about 7 cracking songs on it they didnt have another properly good album, they've got a good playlist but its dotted about over several albums, id guess that only day we caught the train, riverboat and hundred mile high city got decent airplay, can remember when they used to sing mechanical wonder fowler changed the words to something like "and the radio plays at me, but it dont play my songs, cos the radio plays only, **** radio 1" and simon fowler has a cracking voice, can quite happily play acoustic, cradock is a great guitarist, but they arent the gallaghers 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What's the story morning glory broke the boundaries of being in to oasis or even guitar music, there's about 4 songs on it that are still played daily on heart fm,:snip:

As for radiohead...I don't get it, never have,

This isn't meant to be snarky, though might come across that way (hopefully not), but possibly the two comments are related - people who like heart fm I kind of put in the box of "people who know what they like, and are not so fussed about different stuff". There's nothing at all wrong with that. Personally, though, I'd go up the wall if I had to listen to it daily. Commercial radio depends on giving people what they want to hear, and they mainly do that by playing guaranteed stuff that won't scare people away. ABCDE...all the way to XYZ

A bit of Adele, some Beyonce, a bit of Coldplay, Duran Duran, Ed Sheeran..... Stuff that's sold loads and is familiar and comfortable. I might be wrong, but other than maybe "Creep" or "Fake Plastic Trees" Heart fm listening and Radiohead don't kind of tally, so I'm (in a nice way, honest) not surprised.

I haven't heard heaps of Ocean Colour Scene, but If I had to chose a favourite song of theirs it would be 'Better Day'. I actually had an Ocean Colour Scene album that was a collection of b sides and the packaging was was done in like an elaborate ladybird book style, with each page having the lyrics to the different song, they're not really my thing so I just gave it away. Now I can't any evidence of it's existence, hopefully I didn't just get rid of something that's valuable lol.

1 minute ago, useless said:

I haven't heard heaps of Ocean Colour Scene, but If I had to chose a favourite song of theirs it would be 'Better Day'. I actually had an Ocean Colour Scene album that was a collection of b sides and the packaging was was done in like an elaborate ladybird book style, with each page having the lyrics to the different song, they're not really my thing so I just gave it away. Now I can't any evidence of it's existence, hopefully I didn't just get rid of something that's valuable lol.

Wasn't it called B-sides, Seasides and Freerides? I also had that, and ended up selling it to someone for £25 and bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. 

dont get me wrong i dont listen to heart fm (i think they have absolute on in the office but ive got spotify through headphones) i was just trying to explain both oasis' success and their higher album sales, whats the story went beyond what would be considered their market in to sales in to places that blur and radiohead have flirted with but never held down

i doubt very much noel did it on purpose 

useless - sounds like b-sides, freerides and seasides, i think ive got it too so i doubt its worth anything

Commercial radio is really depressing to listen to with bland song after bland song but some of it sounds better when taken out of that context. But I think any radio station that played the same type of music all day would be pretty tedious and the repetiveness would detract from the individual songs worth and make them seem worse than they would be if listened to in isolation.

Edited by useless

Â