General Chat

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think you are confusing "a small group of Poles you work with" and "all Poles".

Fair point but that's 3 different workplaces over a 6 year period. I'm not trying to generalize a whole nation but I can only comment on what I have seen and experienced first hand.

it probably doesn't help that it's always been in manual labour jobs where they are basically hired to do jobs that are considered below other English people for minimum wage. Hardly an environment to flourish in.

On the contrary, my experience of Poles has been the opposite. I've been 'cześć'd' by numerous strangers at work and people say 'smasznego' which is their version of 'enjoy your food' to everybody regardless of whether they know you or not.

You need to meet some nicer Poles.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Fair point but that's 3 different workplaces over a 6 year period. I'm not trying to generalize a whole nation but I can only comment on what I have seen and experienced first hand.

it probably doesn't help that it's always been in manual labour jobs where they are basically hired to do jobs that are considered below other English people for minimum wage. Hardly an environment to flourish in.

From my experience you get some that just stick to their own polish social circle but on the whole I've found Polish women in this country easy to get on with. I've never had a proper relationship with any but a few have had the pleasure of my 16 stone on top of them.

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not surprised they are grumpy if they are being asked to do heavy manual labour 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

On the contrary, my experience of Poles has been the opposite. I've been 'cześć'd' by numerous strangers at work and people say 'smasznego' which is their version of 'enjoy your food' to everybody regardless of whether they know you or not.

You need to meet some nicer Poles.

Yeah Hungary is like that also , I'm half way through my main course and they are still busy going through the enjoy your meal ritual  ....walk in a shop and get a hello leave and confusingly also get a Hello (I still go back thinking they are telling me I've left something behind !!  But it's a translation thing and nobody seems to have bothered to correct them !! )

Bought a ps vita last month from PlayAsia and just last week FedEx sent a letter telling me to pay £42 for duty and handling charges (£12 for handling! WTF). Was wondering what would happen if I just ignore it, would they send warning letters? Or would they forget? Or would shit hit the fan.

7 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Bought a ps vita last month from PlayAsia and just last week FedEx sent a letter telling me to pay £42 for duty and handling charges (£12 for handling! WTF). Was wondering what would happen if I just ignore it, would they send warning letters? Or would they forget? Or would shit hit the fan.

You have the Ps Vita already right?

7 minutes ago, ismail-villa said: Bought a ps vita last month from PlayAsia and just last week FedEx sent a letter telling me to pay £42 for duty and handling charges (£12 for handling! WTF). Was wondering what would happen if I just ignore it, would they send warning letters? Or would they forget? Or would shit hit the fan.

You have the Ps Vita already right?

Yep. The letter came about 2 and a half weeks after receiving it.

22 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Yep. The letter came about 2 and a half weeks after receiving it.

You sure its legit? 

I',m speaking from a position of total ignorance here but HMRC collect duty not the company themselves. Also IIRC (and I may not) you can "import" stuff up to a threshold before being liable for duty? 

I'd tell "fed-ex" to piss off and that they can refer the matter to HMRC if they believe the matter is not resolved. 

Hoping the great minds of VT can help here...

My brother has been in a relationship with a (crazy) woman since about April this year. Because of her circumstances shall we say he moved her and her 2 kids in pretty much straight away.

Its one of these really unhealthy on-off-on-off relationships which is currently in the off cycle. As they all live together he never gets shut of her before she ends up worming her way back in...

One thing that concerns me is any legal responsibility he may have, or soon have over the children. Is there a point in time where he will become legally obliged to financially support the children? For example, after they've been living with him for 12 months will he become financially/legally obliged to put a roof over their heads?

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, ismail-villa said:

Something similar happened to me when I bought my Wii U from there. Granted I think I was paying for the price of having that huge box delivered. It also did come in only 2 days which was great.

18 minutes ago, Genie said:
Hoping the great minds of VT can help here...

My brother has been in a relationship with a (crazy) woman since about April this year. Because of her circumstances shall we say he moved her and her 2 kids in pretty much straight away.

Its one of these really unhealthy on-off-on-off relationships which is currently in the off cycle. As they all live together he never gets shut of her before she ends up worming her way back in...

One thing that concerns me is any legal responsibility he may have, or soon have over the children. Is there a point in time where he will become legally obliged to financially support the children? For example, after they've been living with him for 12 months will he become financially/legally obliged to put a roof over their heads?

Any ideas?

Nope. Her kids her problem - he has no legal rights in relation to them at all unless he has 1) adopted them or 2) been granted Parental Responsibility

Except in one area. If the children are living with him he is responsible under s444 of the 1996 Education Act for their regular attendance at school. 

As long as he doesn't abuse/rape them and gets them to school on time he's golden. 

1 hour ago, ismail-villa said: Bought a ps vita last month from PlayAsia and just last week FedEx sent a letter telling me to pay £42 for duty and handling charges (£12 for handling! WTF). Was wondering what would happen if I just ignore it, would they send warning letters? Or would they forget? Or would shit hit the fan.

Something similar happened to me when I bought my Wii U from there. Granted I think I was paying for the price of having that huge box delivered. It also did come in only 2 days which was great.

Were the consoles particularly cheap? Playasia is based in Hong Kong so I'd expect pretty high delivery costs.

58 minutes ago, Eames said:

Nope. Her kids her problem - he has no legal rights in relation to them at all unless he has 1) adopted them or 2) been granted Parental Responsibility

What's the story with 'common law partner' in Britain?  One definition of common law is that it "refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year".  If that definition applied in Britain then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he would take on some (i.e. more than zero) responsibility for the kids aswell.  Definitely something to get clarified before it bites you in the ass.

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

What's the story with 'common law partner' in Britain?  One definition of common law is that it "refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year".  If that definition applied in Britain then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he would take on some (i.e. more than zero) responsibility for the kids aswell.  Definitely something to get clarified before it bites you in the ass.

Hi BOF, that's the kind of thing I'm a bit concerned about (which he might not be aware of). She's a vulture and a scrounger. She'll take him to the cleaners if she can.

A scenario I could see playing out is he tell's them he's done and they need to move out. She goes to the council and asks for housing for her and the 2 children, they ask about her recent circumstances. She says she's been living with her ex for >1 year... council say as its been a year or more then the ex (the step father if you like) is legally obliged to make sure they have a roof over their head and council proceed to be as unhelpful as possible.

Hopefully not, but I am a bit worried for him....

Edited by Genie

Â