General Chat

Stevo985

I once accidentally answered the door to my neighbour wearing just my pants. 

So any chance to not look silly in front of them died a long time ago.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

A general musing.. why are we (as a nation) so bloody scruffy in general? Walk around any city in Europe from Oslo to Copenhagen to Rome to Hamburg and everyone just makes more of an effort it seems. Women take pride in their appearance, nice clothes, make up done etc. Here, people will just go out shopping in pyjamas or jogging bottoms. 

I never saw anyone in a tracksuit in Oslo over the weekend. Got back to Manchester and its like a large branch of Sports Direct. My mate's missus who is Polish, just doesn't understand the mentality of it. She dresses up just to go to the corner shop and takes pride in how she looks. 

Its something I always notice after I've been away

I think my views are well established on the subject ... I wouldn't ever dream of being so crass as to go full Aussie in vest and flip flops , but I won't go any posher than Jeans and a T-shirt  for my day to day life

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think my views are well established on the subject ... I wouldn't ever dream of being so crass as to go full Aussie in vest and flip flops , but I won't go any posher than Jeans and a T-shirt  for my day to day life

Is that not just 'casual clothing' snobbery? ;)

32 minutes ago, tarjei said:

How do you accidentally answer the door wearing just pants? And what part was accidental? The answering of the door, or the wearing of the pants?

She who shall not be named (that's twice i've mentioned her in quick succession, those accusations will start again!) had just left, and the doorbell rang immediately, so I assumed it was her having forgotten something.

So I bounded out of bed and opened the door, only to find my neighbour standing there with a parcel that had been delivered to him instead of me.

Awks

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She who shall not be named (that's twice i've mentioned her in quick succession, those accusations will start again!) had just left, and the doorbell rang immediately, so I assumed it was her having forgotten something.

So I bounded out of bed and opened the door, only to find my neighbour standing there with a parcel that had been delivered to him instead of me.

Awks

That makes sense now.

Reminded me of one night, me and my flat mate came back from a night out in Cape Town. I went straight to bed, and was half way into sleep when I heard a loud ruckus, followed by a high pitch scream 10 seconds later. Not sure if I was dreaming or not I ran down the strairs rubbing my eyes and saw a big fat guy standing in the kitchen looking very confused. It was our neighbor down the hall. He was beyond drunk and had tried his keys on our door and when he couldn't get in, he made the wise choice to pry open the kitchen window and climb in, ripping down every pot and pan in his way.

Next day he "didn't remember anything"

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Well, not in a ball gown but wouldn't dream of going in jogging bottoms or pyjamas. She'll put jeans, boots, etc on and look smart. 

She can't comprehend how slobby some British women are

Walk past a school on the route to work.

It's easy to distinguish between the Eastern European and UK born mums.

Obese and swearing around kids = English.

Though both sets of these particular test subjects are partial to a fag.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

My mate's missus who is Polish, just doesn't understand the mentality of it. She dresses up just to go to the corner shop and takes pride in how she looks. 

None of my business but I would love to know more about this.

Having worked around polish and other eastern European women for the last 5-6 years I've always had the impression that as nice looking and well mannered some of the are I just don't think a relationship would work out, as we are quite different in culture.

How did they meet and how long have they been together? Do they seem happy etc..?

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Having worked around polish and other eastern European women for the last 5-6 years I've always had the impression that as nice looking and well mannered some of the are I just don't think a relationship would work out, as we are quite different in culture.

How did they meet and how long have they been together? Do they seem happy etc..?

no offence but that's a rather baffling statement ...

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Dunno about Poles, but my mate is married to a Bulgarian woman, and she is VERY stylish. Never seen without makeup and smart clothes.

I'm not sure if it isn't because a lot of them (Eastern Europeans) grew up in an era where they had limited access to nice clothes , amongst other things ... Nothing says the Russians have gone and we've got a few quid then getting out of the faded denim and garish track suits  ...  T

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

no offence but that's a rather baffling statement ...

Why is it a baffling statement? Half the polish girls I have worked around don't even bother to say hello and are quite happy to keep themselves to themselves hence why a long term relationship seems less likely than a fellow Brit.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Why is it a baffling statement? Half the polish girls I have worked around don't even bother to say hello and are quite happy to keep themselves to themselves hence why a long term relationship seems less likely than a fellow Brit.

change your aftershave then   :)

that isn't cultural differences   .. language differences possibly , but that can be easily over come ... I'd understand your statement  if they had come from a lost tribe in South America untouched by civilisation , but not Poland

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Internet dating. Been together just over 4 years and lived together about 3 years I think.

My mate is quite private in terms of his love life but they seem happier than ever. I don't think its always been plain sailing but what relationship is? He is very laid back so that has probably helped. I think they'll get married in due course and start a family. 

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I have a Polish missus. The culture is hardly different, like at all.

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I have a Polish missus. The culture is hardly different, like at all.

Maybe culture was the wrong word, but there are differences between us. If you can't even get a hello in the morning it's safe to say they aren't too interested in a relationship.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Maybe culture was the wrong word, but there are differences between us. If you can't even get a hello in the morning it's safe to say they aren't too interested in a relationship.

I think you are confusing "a small group of Poles you work with" and "all Poles".

• Like 2

Â