General Chat

Stevo985

My fiancee used to work as a health and safety instructor, and was assigned a gig giving a talk to some yachtsmen at a marina. She rocked up in her work-supplied van, stumbled getting out of the vehicle, and sprained her ankle. She was discovered five or so minutes later rolling round in the mud by the same sailors she was supposed to be lecturing. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Fell off a table yesterday whilst having wild sex. Sorry, not wild sex, whilst decorating part of the garage.

We had one of those smallish Ikea coffee tables which I decided was just right for standing on to reach a high point for painting. No warning, no creaking, no slight sag or anything it went from perfectly good painter's raised platform to demolished pieces of chipboard and compressed card.

I'm fairly sure that once the table disintegrated I did that cartoon thing of standing in the air with my feet paddling / running for a few seconds.

Anyway, I came down hard on the concrete floor and twatted every part of my body from ankles. knees, groin, arm, jaw and side of head. I also managed to paint the decent jumper I was wearing. Having already been warned that I was wearing a very good jumper for some risky painting.

Not my finest hour. Knee and groin still knackered this morning. I shall play sad music whilst I limp around the kitchen prepping Sunday lunch, lamenting the fact everyone in this house has now told me how much they liked that table, yet nobody will even entertain the idea of having a look at my groin. 

I apologise for heartily laughing at your misfortune. But you shouldn't describe it so well :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'd rather just give them the two quid and not drink the Nescafé.

If I suspected it was a Nestlé product, I'd make sure beforehand and then not drink it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'd rather just give them the two quid and not drink the Nescafé.

I'll introduce you to the coffee snob at my work if you like  ;)

Coffee is coffee  I doubt I'd even care what brand it was

A general musing.. why are we (as a nation) so bloody scruffy in general? Walk around any city in Europe from Oslo to Copenhagen to Rome to Hamburg and everyone just makes more of an effort it seems. Women take pride in their appearance, nice clothes, make up done etc. Here, people will just go out shopping in pyjamas or jogging bottoms. 

I never saw anyone in a tracksuit in Oslo over the weekend. Got back to Manchester and its like a large branch of Sports Direct. My mate's missus who is Polish, just doesn't understand the mentality of it. She dresses up just to go to the corner shop and takes pride in how she looks. 

Its something I always notice after I've been away

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Well, not in a ball gown but wouldn't dream of going in jogging bottoms or pyjamas. She'll put jeans, boots, etc on and look smart. 

She can't comprehend how slobby some British women are

Edited by Xela

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well, not in a ball gown but wouldn't dream of going in jogging bottoms or pyjamas.

One can look quite dapper in a nice pair of PJs, a good dressing gown and the right pair of slippers.

Edit: I actually can't comprehend why people would feel it necessary to 'look smart' to go to the corner shop - unless the person working there was a looker. :)

Edited by snowychap

I think it was the whole Nestle thing rather than coffee taste.

No it wasn't.

Coffee is coffee. 'Instant coffee' is not coffee.

I'm not obsessed with grinding single estate beans and all that. I'll drink Americanos or filter coffees in Starbucks, Costa, Nero or an independent cafe. Or indeed, at home.

What I won't drink is those gravy granules that masquerade as coffee.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

One can look quite dapper in a nice pair of PJs, a good dressing gown and the right pair of slippers.

Edit: I actually can't comprehend why people would feel it necessary to 'look smart' to go to the corner shop - unless the person working there was a looker. :)

See, I'm the same as you.

She who shall not be named, however, is like Alex's polish friend.

Popping to the chip shop or the supermarket to get dinner and she'll get made up like she's off on a night out. And I'll tag along wearing about the most casual stuff I can wear whilst still being classed as "dressed"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

My mate's missus who is Polish, just doesn't understand the mentality of it. She dresses up just to go to the corner shop and takes pride in how she looks. 

That's definitely an exception. I don't know a single person under the age of 50 who dresses up to go to the corner shop.

Maybe it's Lodz but people are scruffy as **** here :D

Edited by StefanAVFC

I think there's a big middle ground between wearing a track suit or pyjamas and looking smart.  A pair of jeans and a top isn't too difficult is it?  It's a self-respect thing I s'pose.  Depends on the image you want to portray.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

A general musing.. why are we (as a nation) so bloody scruffy in general? Walk around any city in Europe from Oslo to Copenhagen to Rome to Hamburg and everyone just makes more of an effort it seems. Women take pride in their appearance, nice clothes, make up done etc. Here, people will just go out shopping in pyjamas or jogging bottoms. 

I never saw anyone in a tracksuit in Oslo over the weekend. Got back to Manchester and its like a large branch of Sports Direct. My mate's missus who is Polish, just doesn't understand the mentality of it. She dresses up just to go to the corner shop and takes pride in how she looks. 

Its something I always notice after I've been away

Oslo is kinda bad in that way in my opinion. I've gotten the impression that there's lot of pressure on people, especially kids, teens and student, to follow the latest trends, be it clothes, haircuts or gadgets, etc. Lots of snobbery and people spending way too much money on stuff they'll be embarrassed to be seen in the next year.

Speaking of snobbery. Nescafe is coffee flavored, meaning not **** coffee (to paraphrase George Carlin). That said, I'll drink if there's nothing else.

On the topic of going to the shops in unusual dress:

link

Two men dressed in panda onesies have carried out an armed robbery on a newsagent.

Lincolnshire police said one of the men who robbed the shop in Louth on Sunday evening was armed with what appeared to be a handgun.

Officers said the pair forced a female member of staff to hand over cash from the safe then left the scene on foot at about 7.30pm. The member of staff was shaken but unhurt.

Police are asking people living nearby to check their bins for discarded clothing.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think there's a big middle ground between wearing a track suit or pyjamas and looking smart.  A pair of jeans and a top isn't too difficult is it?  It's a self-respect thing I s'pose.  Depends on the image you want to portray.

That's what it is - self respect. Doesn't want her neighbours seeing her looking like a scruff.

I get the self-respect. On the whole, Poles are very into how they're presented. My girlfriend's mom still attacks me with food when I'm there even after knowing her for over a year in case I think she isn't a good hostess.

Â