General Chat

Stevo985

Got in from work and the kids were watching Swallows and Amazons on tv

one of the children appears to be called Titty 

snigger

No definitely Swallows and Amazons, you're thinking of the dog in Dambusters I think?

• Like 4

Got in from work and the kids were watching Swallows and Amazons on tv

one of the children appears to be called Titty 

snigger

Yeah, remember being amused by that when I read it at primary school. Short for Letitia, presumably. The film you're talking about must be the old one. I believe they've done a new version in which she's been renamed Kitty.

• Like 1

I am obsessed with the West Midlands music from the mid-70s through the early 80s. I think there's something wrong with me. English Beat. Dexy's. Zep. Duran. Sabbath. Steel Pulse. Spencer Davis Group. Climax Blues Band. It all just sounds better than everything else!

I am obsessed with the West Midlands music from the mid-70s through the early 80s. I think there's something wrong with me. English Beat. Dexy's. Zep. Duran. Sabbath. Steel Pulse. Spencer Davis Group. Climax Blues Band. It all just sounds better than everything else!

dAVe80 picked up just the record for you recently - but genuinely, I can't remember the name of it - it's on my 'want' list, but I don't have time to go and look for it

edit:

ok, on review, potentially it might not be what you are after....but I still have it on my list!

A1: Steel Pulse - Kibudu-Mansatta-Abuku
A2: Steel Pulse - Mansatta (Instrumental)
A3: Man From The Hills - Redemption Day
A4: Eclipse Band - Blood Fi Dem
A5: Musical Youth - Political
B1: Sceptre - Ancestors Calling
B2: Benjamin Zephaniah - Unite Handsworth
B3: Oneness - Rome
B4: Black Symbol - In The Name Of Jah
C1: Groundation - Fa-Ward
C2: Mystic Foundation - Instruments
C3: Iganda - Slow Down
D1: Capital Letters - I Will Never
D2: Carnastoan - Mr. Workhard 
D3: Zephaniah - Free Man

3472.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

dAVe80 picked up just the record for you recently - but genuinely, I can't remember the name of it - it's on my 'want' list, but I don't have time to go and look for it

edit:

ok, on review, potentially it might not be what you are after....but I still have it on my list!

3472.jpg

It's excellent, and as the name suggests, all West Midlands artists.

• Like 1

For god knows how long (at least 4/5 years) ive gone to sleep at around 4am and just woke up at any time i like. But now i want to start waking up at 8am/9am as i feel im much more productive and it has benefits with regards to personal fitness. The problem is no matter how hard i try, i just cannot keep to a 9am sleep cycle and will always go back to staying awake throughout the night for some unknown reason. I always end up doing an all nighter once a week to try "fix this" but it always gets **** again within a day or two. For example today, i got really tired at around 12am and thought i finally fixed it and fell asleep, it just turned out to be a nap and woke up at 2am wide awake :@

Has anyone fixed this before? Or had similar problem before? any advice on how to keep to a 9am schedule? I dont really know if theres anything but "set alarm, force yourself to wake up at that time" that can be done. That hasnt worked in the past though

on separate note: Found this website which is pretty dam decent which is all about supplements and nutrition. Worth looking at if you want unbiased "facts" about it all  http://examine.com/

Most people fix this by getting a job ;)

Maybe it's time to step into the brave world of employment...

Edited by PieFacE

Have job thx. Im still amazed at how much people try to push other people to work the 9-5 grind with only 4 weeks of freedom a year and potentially making less money. I know youre semi-joking but ye xD

Edited by gharperr

Have job thx. Im still amazed at how much people try to push other people to work the 9-5 grind with only 4 weeks of freedom a year and potentially making less money. I know youre semi-joking but ye xD

I knew you were a pirate ....

• Like 3

edit:

3472.jpg

Smiling with joy to see that! You hit the mark! That album art is fabulous with rockets attached.  

• Like 2

Gharpper, you did ask: so ... 

I've had insomnia since I was a small child. The best cure I've had is regular exercise, time outside in the light, and a very small melatonin supplement before bed. Definitely avoid alcohol or caffeine in the evening (lthough for some reason, black tea doesn't affect my sleep unless I guzzle it). 

I can't overstate the importance of exercise, for me. It doesn't have to be intense. Just 10 minutes of cardio, or better, a longer gentle walk. 

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Any of you ever see any West Midlands musicians from 70s or 80s around, I mean, down at the local or at shops? What is it with the surfeit of local talent? Is there something in the water?

I know that Climax Blues Band probably didn't rate much with critics, but whenever I see them on videos, there's a big part of me that wishes them well somehow (many of the players are dead now, I think), and I just can't get over the quality of the songwriting. 

Edited by Plastic Man

Any of you ever see any West Midlands musicians from 70s or 80s around? What is it with the surfeit of local talent? Is there something in the water?

As featured on the album, Benhamin Zephaniah is still in touch with his West Midlands roots, despite living in That London. I don't live in the area anymore, so can't confirm if any of them are still kicking about. I'm 99% sure most of Sabbath live in LA now.

• Like 2

Yeah, I love that album cover. I'm not sure why I didn't mention it in the "Favourite Album Cover" tread.

Was there one studio associated with Brum reggae recordings? Lovely stuff ... It's hard to believe how many different kinds of musical threads were mixed up together in an area that's relatively small compared to London or New York, etc. It's so heterogeneous but the quality is consistent -- not to say there must have been a lot of shit, too, that we never hear ...

• Like 1

Â