General Chat

Stevo985

20 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Fair do's. I like a fair bit of it myself, at the very least it encapsulates where they were at the time ("it's gettin' better man!!!!" repeated 28 times or whatever it was gives a good indication).

As for the states, nah I don't think so. "Morning Glory" and "Be Here Now" both made the top five in the album charts, "Wonderwall" made the top ten in the main charts but I think the Americans never really took to them. 

I think, broadly speaking, America seems to like it's British acts to be a bit nicer and more likely to play the game hence Coldplay's success.

Be Here Now is one of my favourite albums. Yes its overblown, ego driven and doesn't hold up to scrutiny like their first 2 albums that were brilliant, but for some reason I love it! 

Oasis were brilliant for the first few years then peaked and everything from the 4th studio album was never quite as good, although some individual songs were very good, the albums weren't. 

Currently listening to 'Magic Pie' :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Be Here Now is one of my favourite albums. Yes its overblown, ego driven and doesn't hold up to scrutiny like their first 2 albums that were brilliant, but for some reason I love it! 

Oasis were brilliant for the first few years then peaked and everything from the 4th studio album was never quite as good, although some individual songs were very good, the albums weren't. 

Currently listening to 'Magic Pie' :D

Yeah I agree, the overblown nature of it is part of it's charm. It's much more satisfying than the cold, weary "...Giants". 

There is part of me that would like to hear a stripped down version of it, where there's less guitars, shorter running times etc, but it would probably lose something. 
Why "Don't go away" wasn't a single in the UK, I'll never know. 

In a way you have to admire them. Oasis were the biggest band around, had the world there for the taking. They then embark on a US tour without the singer and then, after all the success of "Morning Glory" they decide their next single will be "D'you know what I mean?", around 7 to 8 minutes long, complete with helicopters and morse code and a chorus that doesn't kick in until 2 and half minutes into the song.

There aren't many bands I can think of that would do that.

• Like 1

as much as i will stick up for oasis you cant class them as one of the great bands to come out of the uk. in their prime they were brilliant but they didnt produce enough imo and just fell short. definitely got things exciting for a bit and were a big concert draw but never hit on after be here now. they were could of been's along with the stone roses. cant see how coldplay are so popular because they are utterly shit.

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

as much as i will stick up for oasis you cant class them as one of the great bands to come out of the uk. in their prime they were brilliant but they didnt produce enough imo and just fell short. definitely got things exciting for a bit and were a big concert draw but never hit on after be here now. they were could of been's along with the stone roses. cant see how coldplay are so popular because they are utterly shit.

Oh I would. But I guess it depends how someone would qualify greatness. For instance are the Pistols great for having one great studio album? 

Wheras as a band like the floyd (who I much prefer) have, by even their own admission, released their fair share of dross, but have a handful of great albums amongst their back catalogue.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Oh I would. But I guess it depends how someone would qualify greatness. For instance are the Pistols great for having one great studio album? 

Wheras as a band like the floyd (who I much prefer) have, by even their on admission, released their fair share of dross, but have a handful of great albums amongst their back catalogue.

the pistols are not a great band,  iconic maybe and to some people important but not great. bands that have been around for a long time will of course release some shit but oasis although great in their prime just fall short of being mentioned along with your beatles and zeppelins. they never kicked on for me. its all about opinion of course and i wouldn't dismiss anyone for saying oasis were one of the true greats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They're probably not in the all time great bands, but who,from the UK, in the last 20-25 years would you class as greater? 

I think in terms of 'modern' music, there aren't many. They were very good at what they did and for a few years were a force of nature. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

They're probably not in the all time great bands, but who,from the UK, in the last 20-25 years would you class as greater? 

I think in terms of 'modern' music, there aren't many. They were very good at what they did and for a few years were a force of nature. 

bang on. its just not the 60s or 70s anymore :(

I don't like Oasis myself, my musical journey has taken me to an higher plane, as it were. But if they mean so much to so many people and if those people they're great then what other way is there of measuring it.

Edited by useless

Great Oasis songs that are unknown/underrated;

Gas Panic!

Let's all make believe

Cover of My Generation

Cover of Helterskelter

No I won't let you down

Don't go away

She is love

The boy with the blues

Noel Gallagher song everyone needs to hear;

A simple game of genius