The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

First time i've seen this and I have to say.., not that blown away. Its decent but not a masterpiece. 7/10

280px-Inception_poster.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

First time i've seen this and I have to say.., not that blown away. Its decent but not a masterpiece. 7/10

Same.

But I think it's one of those where it needs the cinematic experience. I bet that those surreal dream scenes would have been amazing in a good cinema.

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Didn't enjoy it at all. I think Nolan is overrated as a director if i'm honest. Much prefer his early work like Memento.

• Like 1

Inception is most remarkable as a blockbuster that has something approaching a brain, and has some clever action and spectacular imagery.

It's not as clever as it thinks it is though. The entirety of the dialogue is exposition, the whole movie works as a tutorial for a game really, explaining the rules of the world right to the end of the run time. A lot was made when it came out of it being complex, but it isn't, provided your playing attention the film handholds you through the whole thing and constantly reassures you throughout.

But, for all that, it's an interesting action blockbuster with some cool action and well developed set pieces. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Didn't enjoy it at all. I think Nolan is overrated as a director if i'm honest. Much prefer his early work like Memento.

He's certainly not all many would have you believe, I'd agree.

Memento is a clever idea done exceptionally well in a small tight movie. Insomnia is a nice adaptation for a US audience of a small town crime drama, the Prestige is a genuinely good movie whose flaws are derived from the source material. His Batman trilogy is universally good, and reached great with Dark Knight, but even that has its flaws with confused cinematography and not really getting a grip on its very final moments, whilst Rises is bloated and feels a little half arsed but again has great imagery and set pieces, even if he managed to botch some of the climatic moments. And then Interstellar is just a combination of all his flaws with all his usual strengths. He knows how to make a film look great whilst not being overly flashy, and he has a talent for spotting smart but tangible ideas and managing to portray them on film. Unfortunately he also has a thing for schmaltz, he sometimes loses his story interest in favour of the ideas, he often can't shoot action in an understandable way, and his movies can feel bland.

He's a decent Hollywood director who makes very professional and 'clean' movies, and actually tries to do something with some brain even when he wants to make an action blockbuster.

39 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Same.

But I think it's one of those where it needs the cinematic experience. I bet that those surreal dream scenes would have been amazing in a good cinema.

I watched it in the cinema and the ending scene was the first time Ive heard a collective sigh/gasp at a the end of a film. I thought it was a good film and a great experience but that has not been repeated when Ive watched it at home. . 

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

i would agree Prestige, Memento and Insomnia(criminally underrated) are his best film

Interstellar for me was a long bore

• Like 1

Deadpool has taken the record for the biggest opening weekend for an 'R' rated movie in the US, and also the biggest Presidents Day weekend as well. It's possibly Fox's biggest ever opening weekend which I find hard to believe but who knows...

It's probably gonna do alright and outdone expectations by a distance it seems.

• Like 1

I loved Inception when I first saw it but it doesn't stand up to repeat viewings. 

One big reason is there is a huge plot hole that I've either completely misunderstood (although I'm almost certain I haven't) or just doesn't seem to get talked about.

Although, this is cool

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I loved Inception when I first saw it but it doesn't stand up to repeat viewings. 

One big reason is there is a huge plot hole that I've either completely misunderstood (although I'm almost certain I haven't) or just doesn't seem to get talked about.

Which plot hole is that out of curiosity? There's probably a few to pick from!

Chindie has summed up Nolan's work better than I could. "Inception" is a fantastic spectacle, with some superb set pieces. But as with a lot of his films, I find he struggles with any emotional resonance. It's mainly cerebral in intent, and when looked at closely, it doesn't withstand scrutiny.

For me, the closest he came to any emotional impact was in "Memento" with the scene with

Spoiler

Guy Pearce's character hiring a prostitute to trick him into thinking his wife was still alive, just for moment after he woke up

He's a good film maker, with some interesting ideas, he deserves credit for his ambition. But the adulation he receives is a bit excessive for me.

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Which plot hole is that out of curiosity? There's probably a few to pick from!

It's a while since I've seen it so I might not explain it very well.

From what I remember 

Spoiler

When you're dreaming, to wake up you need to get a "kick" from the level above. It's always the level above, so for example somebody waking up a person in real life then they come out of the dream they're having.
Also, if you kill yourself in a dream you go to "limbo". 

But in the film near the end when they're in these multi level dreams, Leo and Page's characters are at the bottom level and need to wake up to get back out. So they "kill themselves" in that level.
So according to their own rules they've made up for this film, for them to wake up somebody would have had to kick them from the level above but they didn't. They used killing themselves as a "kick".

If killing yourself in limbo would wake you up, then when Leo's character is stuck there for years and years he could have just killed himself to wake up.

Might not have explained it very well, but I remember noticing it and then watching it again and being sure they'd **** up.

from what i can remember the thing to remember with inception is - 

Spoiler

Leo has the totem off his wife, its not his, so basically the whole film is a dream, so all these layers and everything going on etc, its all one big dream, everything you see and are told in the film is false, including the rules, even the rule about the totem needing to be yours...:o 

basically they wrote in a get out of jail card for the almost inevitable plot holes

saying that ive only seen it once, couldnt be bothered to watch it again

hollywood is remaking momento for some reason

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Revenant sweeps the board at the BAFTAs (rightly so, IMO). 

I think he's a good actor and long over due an Oscar but isn't  this film a weaker performance than some of his other other looked roles ?   ...If  awards were given out for going through the most  hardship in making a film , then clearly he wins but how much acting is he actually doing in this film ?

I'm not knocking him btw , it's more is this his Scorsese moment where he gets one as it's overdue rather than the film itself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't seen it but from what I've heard, The Revenant is a very good performance from Di Caprio.

Maybe it isn't his best, but that's not really how it works, with anything.

This is true, its not his best; its acting in the cold he was in the cold we all could have been nominated.

Its the usual though he should have won before, so will eventually win for this.

Â