The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its the belief that the matrix wasnt a total fluke and them pair know what they are doing

proved wrong again

I thought the Matrix was a load of bobbins tbh.

I thought it was pretty much universally known that Jupiter Ascending is pants, why do people keep watching it?

Directed by Matrix brothers.

Mila Kunis looking mighty fine in the trailer.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It's a fun space romp, doesn't make 100% sense but it's forgivable in this type of film.

And yes, threw in some Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy references for fun

Started watching Philomena last night, and shut it off after 20 minutes. Too dreary. And the whole Irish Laundry girls thing boils my blood. The Catholic church can **** off, evil sickos.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2015, 13:53:21, Chindie said:

The Registration Act has had to change in the film as there's not really secret identities in the movies, looks like they've switched to accountability as the trigger...

In all honesty it was never going to be what the original plot was, it's not possible to do at the moment and it all gets so daft they'd never make a movie of it even if they could. It's more taking some of the themes, so its less Civil War and seemingly more Cap Goes Rogue (ooerr) and Iron Man is Working for The Man.

Interesting they show very little of the additional cast. Once you shove everyone in, it looks a little over stuffed and makes Cap and Co taking on Stark and Co look ridiculous.

Very underwhelmed by the trailer, but like you it's what I expected given the previous that has come before it.

They should have held off on Civil War and made it the next big multi-phase project after the Infinity Stones saga. I feel like they're wasting a really interesting and rich story with plenty of meaningful issues and opportunities to add a bit of depth and social commentary to a superhero movie.

Hungry Games finale was decent, as hard hitting as you could expect for an adaptation of a 'YA' novel, and didn't pull many punches in it's demonstration of the brutality of war. The sewer scene was the highlight, had a very Aliens-y vibe and although you knew the jump scare was coming, it was affective when it did given the build up, and the ensuing chaos was fun. The ending (not the prologue) felt a bit rushed, may have been due to PSH's death, where his intended but unrecorded scenes were patched up as well as they could have been, I guess. Not a bad series, more enjoyable than say Hobbit.

I enjoyed the first one - the dialogue is some of the worst committed to film, but I suppose that wasn't really the selling point.

Thought the 2nd movie was poor though so I haven't bothered with them since.

I do think J.Lawrence is a talented actor though - As long as she's careful with her scripts she could have a superb career.

16 hours ago, ender4 said:

Directed by Matrix brothers.

Mila Kunis looking mighty fine in the trailer.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It's a fun space romp, doesn't make 100% sense but it's forgivable in this type of film.

And yes, threw in some Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy references for fun

Ahem....

Saw the Visit the other night, first M Night Shewaddyman film since The Village as it's not my thing at all - my partner has a thing for found footage films sadly.

That said, and amid absolutely no expectations whatsoever, it was surprisingly not-awful. The second half at least, and once I got past how much I loathed the child leads as well. ( What a pretentious 15 year old girl, and a spectacularly obnoxious 13 year old boy ).

It probably reads like I didn't enjoy the film that much, well I didn't really but I was also not so annoyed as to turn it off, I was happy to see it to it's conclusion.

Don't Go In The Woods  (2010)

This just has to be the worst movie i have watched in quite a while.How i managed to watch it to the end only god knows.IMDb gave it right panning in their review and i have to agree.3/10 

22 hours ago, maqroll said:

Started watching Philomena last night, and shut it off after 20 minutes. Too dreary. And the whole Irish Laundry girls thing boils my blood. The Catholic church can **** off, evil sickos.

A very moving story, briliantly acted by Judy Dench, won't go into the catholic thing, but all I will say is my late Aunty was a nun and she was the kindest person I have ever known, so not all like those nuns in Ireland.

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A very moving story, briliantly acted by Judy Dench, won't go into the catholic thing, but all I will say is my late Aunty was a nun and she was the kindest person I have ever known, so not all like those nuns in Ireland.

Of course not, and my vitriol is directed more at the institution that allowed it to happen. The nuns were following instructions from the archdiocese.

I watched a rather bad 3 Musketeers on Film 4 last night , I really should have switched off at the first sight of a flying ship .. but Milla Jovovich was in it and I'd watch her read a dictionary

Â