The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched Straight Outta Compton last night. Was alright, I didn't know much about the story so it was interesting. Not sure how close to the truth it was though, kinda portrays Dre and Ice Cube in too much of a good light. Suspiciously too much.

Almost as if they needed them to be onside in order to use the music. 

If you take it as a vanity piece its ok - but a balanced view of what really happened it certainly ain't 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Watched Straight Outta Compton last night. Was alright, I didn't know much about the story so it was interesting. Not sure how close to the truth it was though, kinda portrays Dre and Ice Cube in too much of a good light. Suspiciously too much.

Yeah, I found that. Far too much bullshit bravado. The bits with Dre and Surg Knight especially just didn't ring true. I was very sceptical that he would have interacted with Surg like that, knowing full well his reputation and criminal links.

Edited by dAVe80

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Yeah, I found that. Far too much bullshit bravado. The bits with Dre and Surg Knight especially just didn't ring true. I was very sceptical that he would have interacted with Surg like that, knowing full well his reputation and criminal links.

NWA were all a bunch of words removed

looks like they've gone for continuity with the previous film as the trigger for it all rather than a bloke we've never seen before blowing himself up, got no issue with that, however it then goes on to look very heavy on cap's friendship and loyalty to him rather than the fundamentals of the registration act, that's disappointing, the centre of the film and the driving force should be the act not bucky

The Registration Act has had to change in the film as there's not really secret identities in the movies, looks like they've switched to accountability as the trigger...

In all honesty it was never going to be what the original plot was, it's not possible to do at the moment and it all gets so daft they'd never make a movie of it even if they could. It's more taking some of the themes, so its less Civil War and seemingly more Cap Goes Rogue (ooerr) and Iron Man is Working for The Man.

Interesting they show very little of the additional cast. Once you shove everyone in, it looks a little over stuffed and makes Cap and Co taking on Stark and Co look ridiculous.

Just finished the extended edition of the Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

The weakest of Jackson's Middle Earth adaptations anyway, the extended edition doesn't actually bring all that much extra to the table in truth. Far more subtle in its additions than the likes of the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, this largely bulks out a few action scenes with little benefit, mostly serving only to make some of the stupid slapstick action even more daft. At best Beorn actually gets some screen time this time around, having been in a single slot in the original release, now he's in 3!...

It's come out this week that the Hobbit movies were apparently made in a rush and at times they are making up what they were going to do as they went, and the whole thing was severely hamstrung with too little preproduction work done, so it's not really a surprise that the trilogy ended up being a messy uneven work that let a lot of people down. 

I don't mind the films, and I think they're decent watches that have elements and moments that glimpse how good they could have been. But they do miss the mark and do pale in comparison to LOTR. They should have been great, instead they're alright, forgettable.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2015, 11:31:33, TheMelvillan said:

Stand by Me, Kings of Summer and My Girl are all brill and strike me as coming of age movies but maybe I dont really understand the term. 

Watched Kings of Summer last night and absolutely loved it. Def one of my favourite coming of age films that I have seen recently. 

Â