The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Martian - not how I would have done it after really enjoying the book - but a very good film ..

I was a little disappointed.

Perhaps followed a bit too hard on the heels of Gravity and Interstellar without adding anything new.

Some odd casting, too. Sean Bean, really?

Finally got around to watching the new Mad Max, it's dreadful. Like it was written by an amateur director, a lot of it is un explained, some terrible scenes. I'm disappointed at Hoult, Hardy and Theron for taking part.

have I missed something?

Agreed, probably one of the worst films I have ever seen, utter bollocks

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Yeah I think I mentioned this one somewhere earlier in the thread.

It's right up my street in terms of it's look and feel. Looks like one that will thrive on atmosphere rather than gore (always a bonus)

Oh, and Chris Finch as a leading man? Excellent! :D

• Like 1

Yes, the unexplained nature of it is part of what makes it good, wastes no time and makes no attempt explaining itself, just asks you to accept it

Unfortunately I read this as, I dont know why it doesnt explain it, maybe it doesnt know how to, please dont question it.  

Fury Road begins with a short narration on what happened to the world to make it the way it is now. Also, I think it assumes you've either seen the original Mad Max films or at least read up on them.

It doesn't require any explanation really though. If it did, it'd be to the detriment of what the film was going for and what makes it so great. It's a post-apocalyptic world after nuclear war, now have at it.

Edited by Ginko

Fury Road begins with a short narration on what happened to the world to make it the way it is now. Also, I think it assumes you've either seen the original Mad Max films or at least read up on them.

It doesn't require any explanation really though. If it did, it'd be to the detriment of what the film was going for and what makes it so great. It's a post-apocalyptic world after nuclear war, now have at it.

It's a two hour car chase, they go one way for 90 mins, do a U-turn and come back for the last 30 mins. It may be a post apocalyptic world but that is no excuse to make an utterly shite movie

• Like 1

It's a two hour car chase, they go one way for 90 mins, do a U-turn and come back for the last 30 mins. It may be a post apocalyptic world but that is no excuse to make an utterly shite movie

You may not have liked it but its not a shit film, its impeccably made and the best edited film i've seen this year. 99% of film critics cannot all be wrong and they see plenty of good and bad films.

The whole world is explained in a visual way, the extremism, desperation weirdness doesn't need to be rammed down your throat with terrible dialogue the narative and reasoning behind it is clearly explained as well.

I dont care much for the Godfather for example, think its dull but its still very well made.

• Like 1

You may not have liked it but its not a shit film, its impeccably made and the best edited film i've seen this year. 99% of film critics cannot all be wrong and they see plenty of good and bad films.

The whole world is explained in a visual way, the extremism, desperation weirdness doesn't need to be rammed down your throat with terrible dialogue the narative and reasoning behind it is clearly explained as well.

I dont care much for the Godfather for example, think its dull but its still very well made.

critics can be wrong and 9/10 usually are because they are words removed :D

legend

didnt think much of it, knew within about 2 minutes of it with her narrating and ronnie already being suited and booted and trailed by the police that it wouldnt be what id hoped for, thought it was a bit dull and the angle they went with resulted in a story thats been done a million times before and often much better, should have made a proper gangster film with the wife as a mere supporting character, as it is she's just edged out by ronnie, reggie is the supporting character

add to that hardy does overplay reggie, its daft at some points, also struggling to remember a film set in the 60s that makes such poor use of the era, where was the soundtrack?

i think because of the previous film they've tried to do something different and it hasnt really worked for me

Watched St Vincent today, and enjoyed it a lot. Bill Murray as a cranky old git, with heart of gold. Nice heart-warming tale. 

Also watched Under The Skin. Loved it. Dark, weird, unsettling, beautifully shot, and a really great score. Scarlet Johansson with a brilliant performance.

• Like 1

Â