Running

trimandson

10 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

2nd run back from a 10-12 week layoff last night, and I managed to finish my 5.5km without too many issues, but in 33 minutes or so.

I might do some sprint training to get my speed back up and burn some fat. What sort of things do people recommend? I was just thinking of going to a park and picking two spots 50-80m apart and starting each sprint on the minute 20 times or so.

Does that sound reasonable?

If you are going to do sprints, I'd recommend starting with 200m as a minimum, 400m being much better or if there is a hill nearby 10-20s hill sprints work like magic too. Any of them x10 should do the trick. The goal should be to be able to push on the last one, i.e., pick a pace at the start that you can finish at. This may take a little practice! Also, remember to run a mile or two first so you'll be well warmed up and avoid your hip falling off.

• Like 1

Just over 10 weeks until the marathon now, starting to panic a bit.  I was out at the start of last week, and tripped over a pot hole, spraining my ankle and banging my knee a bit.  It's not that bad, and I did a 5K run last night, but I'm concerned I've fallen behind my training schedule a bit.  Also, I seem to be getting shit splints at random times.  I always do the exact same pre-run stretching and warming up routine and don't consciously do anything different, but sometimes I get quite nasty shin splints after about a mile, and yet other times I can do 7-8 miles no problem.  I've not had them for the last 2-3 runs so touch wood they won't start playing up again, but it really knocks my confidence when they do.

How do people cope with the boredom of running?

Quite often when I run, I hit the 15-20  minute mark (generally around 3-4K), I feel like I could keep going but I'm just so bored I start clock watching.

Edited by PieFacE

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Quite often when I run, I hit the 15-20  minute mark (generally around 3-4K), I feel like I could keep going but I'm just so bored I start clock watching.

I think you're at the cusp... I was there when I started "just" running too, and I used to get bored as hell but then I went from 30min efforts to I becoming comfortable doing 45-60min runs and just learned how to zone out. Easy peasy now and something I really look fwd. to at times, though I am listening to healthy dose of podcasts while logging my miles this cycle. Being banished to treadmill land pretty much requires that!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2016 at 01:02, PieFacE said:

Music, but mainly I just get bored. But when bored and several kilometres from home, the only real way to cure the boredom is to keep running and get home as quickly as possible.

People often tell me that I should run laps of an oval or something instead of roads and footpaths to ease the strain on my joints, but if I was doing laps, i'd have the temptation to stop at the end of every lap. I know if I run my usual route, i'll have to do the 5km before I get home.

Just over 10 weeks until the marathon now, starting to panic a bit.  I was out at the start of last week, and tripped over a pot hole, spraining my ankle and banging my knee a bit.  It's not that bad, and I did a 5K run last night, but I'm concerned I've fallen behind my training schedule a bit.  Also, I seem to be getting shit splints at random times.  I always do the exact same pre-run stretching and warming up routine and don't consciously do anything different, but sometimes I get quite nasty shin splints after about a mile, and yet other times I can do 7-8 miles no problem.  I've not had them for the last 2-3 runs so touch wood they won't start playing up again, but it really knocks my confidence when they do.

Might be worth talking to a physio about the shin splints as could be to do with a number of reasons including tight hamstrings.

I seem to be doing okay with the long runs, 17 miler last Sunday and 21 this coming Sunday and the odd 10-12 miles mid week. I don't always fancy it or enjoy it every time, but usually after a mile or two I start to feel good and the miles pass by, on Tuesday I did 12 but only planned to do 5, I had kind of done too much in the days before so last few miles hurt a bit.

The weight seems to be dropping off too, so the lightest I've been since my late teens and performance improving with it, I ran a 5k PB during a 5 mile club LT session this evening.

• Like 1

Don't worry about being behind in the training but make sure you get a few long slow runs in before the event. You absolutely have to have the distance in your legs. Then you can always slow down a bit from your original planned pace if it hasn't gone to plan.

May not be applicable to you but the best thing I ever learned was to pretend you're running on eggshells. Go smooth and light and try and keep smooth.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I find that the start of spring and summer is brilliant for that. Go out so it'll be sunrise or sunset when you're out and enjoy bathing in the beautiful colours and great views. There's nothing like coming over a hill on a summer evening and getting the late sun on your skin as you run. Then going home and drinking cold beer.

• Like 3

I am running my first marathon in 9 weeks (Manchester) and training is going ok I think but not sure if I am on target to achieve my goal of sub 4 hours. My long slow runs are now up to 2 hours and 10 minutes which I did last Sunday. The first 10 miles were done relatively slowly in 100 minutes so 10 min mile pace and then I stepped it up and did the last 3.5 miles in 30 minutes which was around 8:40 min mile pace. I plan on doing something similar this Sunday and running for 140 minutes doing 10 mile in the first hundred minutes then looking to step up to around 8:30 – 8:40 min mile pace for the last 40 minutes.

In the week I am doing two runs of around 8-9 miles and knocking these out at around 8:10 min mile pace.

Do the more experienced runners think that my numbers suggest with 9 weeks to go I can achieve a sub  hour marathon?

Edited by markavfc40

13 hours ago, darrenm said:

I find that the start of spring and summer is brilliant for that. Go out so it'll be sunrise or sunset when you're out and enjoy bathing in the beautiful colours and great views. There's nothing like coming over a hill on a summer evening and getting the late sun on your skin as you run. Then going home and drinking cold beer.

If I could like this twice I would.

14 hours ago, darrenm said:

That does sound pretty awesome! I do much prefer running outside to inside, treadmills are so boring. 

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am running my first marathon in 9 weeks (Manchester) and training is going ok I think but not sure if I am on target to achieve my goal of sub 4 hours. My long slow runs are now up to 2 hours and 10 minutes which I did last Sunday. The first 10 miles were done relatively slowly in 100 minutes so 10 min mile pace and then I stepped it up and did the last 3.5 miles in 30 minutes which was around 8:40 min mile pace. I plan on doing something similar this Sunday and running for 140 minutes doing 10 mile in the first hundred minutes then looking to step up to around 8:30 – 8:40 min mile pace for the last 40 minutes.

In the week I am doing two runs of around 8-9 miles and knocking these out at around 8:10 min mile pace.

Do the more experienced runners think that my numbers suggest with 9 weeks to go I can achieve a sub 4 hour marathon?

Not knowing more, I'd say that you are in with a good shout 9 weeks out. A couple of things worth noting. You should try get your long run up to 3hrs before your taper as you'll be on your feet for 33% longer than that during the marathon. Most importantly, are you taking any gel etc or other source of calories on your long run? Standard practice is to bonk hard in the first marathon without this. I enjoyed a nice 5.2 mile death march during my first marathon, being entirely ignorant and thinking drinking gatorade would be enough. Nope!! If not, look into buying some gels or blocks to try out and practice taking one every 5-6miles of your long run. Good luck!

• Like 1

Yup, good advice, sort the nutrition!! I can run a marathon without it, but at 9 min/mi rather than 6:30.

I would add that your longest run (in time) probably wants to be even longer, like 3:30 just so your body is used to running for that long, even at a slower pace.

For example I expect my 21 mile run will be 3 hours this weekend, despite wanting to be quicker for the race.

• Like 1

Cheers for the advice lads. I was planning on building up to a 200 minute run 3 weeks before the marathon and then tapering off so from what you have said this seems about right. I haven't felt the need for any gels yet but now I am getting up towards 2 and half hour plus runs I am going to start taking them. Would taking one after an hour and then every hour seem about right? Any recommendations on the gels?

Edited by markavfc40

Â