Do you read?

Luke_W

The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion and The System of the World) is a sort of prequel to Cryptonomicon. It's long, it's dense, it's erudite. It manages to combine the origins of the modern banking system, the origins of calculus, Newton and Leibniz, the siege of Vienna, the exploration of the East Indies, barbary pirates, you name it. Sounds heavy going, but it isn't, it romps along. I've read most of Stephenson's books, and these three (plus Crypto) are easily my favourites. 

• Like 1

I've read a few Stephenson books (seveneves, snow crash) keep meaning to read his others but I keep getting distracted by the next fantasy book on my fantasy list. 

• Like 1

What I like about The Baroque Cycle is that it's 97% historical fiction, but with that all-important 3% twist of SF, where he deviates from authenticity, always with a sly and knowing wink. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished Jane Eyre, I found the overall story a bit boring but liked many aspects of Jane Eyre herself, and as the story is told through her recollection, I was able to enjoy the book. Now I've got more time for Ulysses which I!m starting to get into the rhythm of, although I might lose it again. Actually really want read 'In Search Of Lost Time' by Proust, having read the first few pages and really liked it, but not to sure if its wise to start that until I've finished Ulysses but then again if I wait I'll be waiting a long time. 

50 minutes ago, useless said:

I've finished Jane Eyre, I found the overall story a bit boring but liked many aspects of Jane Eyre herself, and as the story is told through her recollection, I was able to enjoy the book. Now I've got more time for Ulysses which I!m starting to get into the rhythm of, although I might lose it again. Actually really want read 'In Search Of Lost Time' by Proust, having read the first few pages and really liked it, but not to sure if its wise to start that until I've finished Ulysses but then again if I wait I'll be waiting a long time. 

Finish Ulysses before you start Proust. And have a couple short easy reads as palate cleansers in between. 

Jane Eyre has to be one of the least pretentious books you can read. Besides I'm allowed to be randompretentious, I admit I'm  called useless and openly have a IQ of 79. 

Edited by useless
I didn't write the word random its this stupid kindle fire thing

Probably a good idea its not as if Ulysses is the only book I'm reading as it is. I'm starting to enjoy it now as well will probably get through it a bit faster. 

Edited by useless
I'll probably read the Sherlock Holmes' stories in between.

• 2 weeks later...

Catch 22. For the third time, and the first time in at least ten years. It's still glorious.  Just finished the chapter where the true scale of Milo's syndicate is first revealed. It's definitely one of the all time great novels. :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Warden by Anthony Trollope 

A very nicely written, humorous, tale which works as a critique of the sort of representation of Victorian society Dickens is famous for.

The sneering at the poor and the unapologetic claim to upper-class privilege are egregious.

So definitely a piece of counter-propaganda and it is no surprise that Trollope is so beloved by grumpy old reactionaries and Tories.

There are none of Dickens's grotesques and it is not the church or the warden who are the villains but the guy seeking reform.

The book offers insights into modern concerns about the church, in that anything can be excused in the name of protecting the reputation of the business, and contemporary doubts about how much of a charity's income reaches those it is meant to benefit. In short, nothing has changed.

Trollope is a fine writer and his neglect these days suggests that he might not have been excluded from the canon but he has definitely been marginalised.

40 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Rereading the Tin Drum.

Utterly brilliant. So much vision and meaning. It's up there with Cryptonomicon and The Master and Margarita as my favourite book.

Now you're talking. All three rank among my favourite novels of all time. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2016 at 19:20, AVFC_Hitz said:

Not yet but I've recently 'acquired ' 2000 books for my Kindle and all of Stephenson's works are in it. So I'll definitely be giving a go.

Jesus i struggle to concentrate on a book when i have another couple waiting for me.  2000......Id give up reading!

On 2/13/2016 at 20:17, mjmooney said:

What I like about The Baroque Cycle is that it's 97% historical fiction, but with that all-important 3% twist of SF, where he deviates from authenticity, always with a sly and knowing wink. 

When I read Quicksilver I liked it a lot but was annoyed by the middle book (The King of the Vagabonds) which was written in the style of George MacDonald Fraser and all the good stuff about science was put on hold, while she released his yellow bile.

Having Eliza and Jack meet Leibniz to create some kind of connection with Quicksilver, didn't lessen the disappointment. 

The book would have worked better without it.

I wonder how many of those books you will start but not finish though?

The sheer amount of choice would mean if any book which failed to keep up its pace for more than a few pages would be cast aside with me.

It would be book suicide :)

Edited by Nigel

Â