Mervyn King

Nabby

51 minutes ago, DeHavilland said:

Good appointment. ... all the cynics here seem to have forgotten that the board under Sir William Dugdale guided us too the greatest period in our history, it was Deadly who destroyed that. 

If Merv brings that kind of experience, stability and success to our board -  I don't care how guilt edged he is, the haters need to get off the club's back.... and get behind it.

But won't they then stab it?

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, DeHavilland said:

Good appointment. ... all the cynics here seem to have forgotten that the board under Sir William Dugdale guided us too the greatest period in our history, it was Deadly who destroyed that. 

If Merv brings that kind of experience, stability and success to our board -  I don't care how guilt edged he is, the haters need to get off the club's back.... and get behind it.

Well I for one am more than happy to tell you that getting off the Clubs back is the last thing I'll do, and this certainly makes absolutely no difference to my views.

What do you mean by the Club ?  Until he sells it, the Club is Randy Lerner. The Team ? No problem supporting them at all, the Club ? Get behind them because they've appointed the former Governor of the B of E ? What on earth would I do that for ?

If he DOES anything, then maybe. 

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well I for one am more than happy to tell you that getting off the Clubs back is the last thing I'll do, and this certainly makes absolutely no difference to my views.

What do you mean by the Club ?  Until he sells it, the Club is Randy Lerner. The Team ? No problem supporting them at all, the Club ? Get behind them because they've appointed the former Governor of the B of E ? What on earth would I do that for ?

If he DOES anything, then maybe. 

King is not doing this for the money, he does not need any more money. He will get paid, sure, but he is only doing this because he is a lifelong villa fan - he is one of us and he is on the board talking for us. Cheer the feck up. 

• Like 1

Somewhat encouraged by the arrival of King to the board.  Highly experienced, professional, lifelong fan and will tell Hollis (and Lerner) what he thinks. Doubt he's here for the money - wouldn't be surprised if he is getting only a token fee.  Positive move*

*although in the grand scheme of things a positive drop in a negative ocean

• Like 4

DDID.... with all due respect, you and I are fans.  And just between you and me, some of these other fans on here are clueless about the game.  I remain concerned that our board is being built with people with strong expertise in the financial services industries, but not people with expertise in winning football matches.  I'm not convinced it's the same skill set. 

So what is the skillset? What makes Ian Taylor more suitable? A "football man"? I'm not picking on Ian, the man is a legend, but you see my point?

The manager is the only one who needs experience in winning football matches. Behind him needs to be a successful business that provides him with the funds and the support he needs to win those matches. That Mervyn King IS a fan is simply a bonus. At least it's fair to hypothesise that he will care.

If not Fox, Hollis and King, who do people want? I only ever seem to see David Dein and Graham Taylor mentioned.

• Like 2

All these people on the board what exactly are they going to do?  From where I'm standing it just looks like they will be better able to sell the club as the eejits that Lerner hired obviously couldn't sell water to a drowning man!!!

What people want is not to be bottom of the table, cut adrift, and cruising towards the 3rd-worst PL points total of all time. Until that situation resolves itself, any appointment is going to be greeted with skepticism by most fans, it wouldn't matter if we'd appointed Jesus, Derren Brown and Bill Gates. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So what is the skillset? What makes Ian Taylor more suitable? A "football man"? I'm not picking on Ian, the man is a legend, but you see my point?

The manager is the only one who needs experience in winning football matches. Behind him needs to be a successful business that provides him with the funds and the support he needs to win those matches. That Mervyn King IS a fan is simply a bonus. At least it's fair to hypothesise that he will care.

If not Fox, Hollis and King, who do people want? I only ever seem to see David Dein and Graham Taylor mentioned.

It doesn't. A lot of people just have no idea what a Board of Directors does or what qualifications are needed at a medium / large company so somehow having "football men" makes them feel better.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes i agree with all of what you say here. I think the problem has been appointing the correct manager who knows how to win matches. This is where the issue of a 'football man' needed at board level rears its head. I still wouldn't trust any of these lovely chaps, merv included, to appoint the correct manager...although i think, & im hoping, they have dropped lucky on our remi! Lets just hope he doesn't leg it in the summer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

King is not doing this for the money, he does not need any more money. He will get paid, sure, but he is only doing this because he is a lifelong villa fan - he is one of us and he is on the board talking for us. Cheer the feck up. 

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I never mentioned money. I couldn't care less whether he's doing it ( whatever ' it' will be) for money.

How on earth do you know he is " talking for us ".....talk about easily pleased !

And I'm perfectly cheerful thank you.

I'd rather judge someone on what they do, that's all.  And my point to the OP was an appointment to the Board in itself is no reason to " get behind the Club". 

16 hours ago, DeHavilland said:

Wouldn't disagree with you, however he wasn't the man concerned about money he was concerned about the club. Doug was still there penny pinching but Sir William facilitated our direction.
The current board are money men, their first thought is finance. A board should be balanced with opposing/alternate views/discussions and the Chairman facilitates the conversation and consensus. I'm not confident any board meeting has a varied, fearless (honest) and core football element. 

With the right stewardship a Chairman can uncover a variety of opportunities once tried, ignored, glanced over or perhaps never considered/been unravelled. Having chaired and participated on boards it's always obvious when someone divergent, not divisive, attends.
I think King will be a good Chairman, he's used to conflict.....but where on the board will it come from?! And I don't mean conflict in crisis, I mean footballing context not simply from a fans perspective but a wider club understanding.

I wouldn't say we need a board member to be an ex player (if it's Colly I'll cry media stunt ;)) but the club would benefit hugely from a football/club first opinion which is then balanced by finance. Rather than finance balanced by football.
That's important whatever is going on at the club, whether asset stripping/selling/consolidating/rejuvenating.  

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Mervyn King will be the centerpiece of the board meetings, who "facilitates the conversation and consensus". Fox and Hollis are just kids compared to him.

It's a good appointment, but truth is that we'll turn the tide only after Lerner sells. Until then, it's crisis management.

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Mervyn King will be the centerpiece of the board meetings, who "facilitates the conversation and consensus". Fox and Hollis are just kids compared to him.

It's a good appointment, but truth is that we'll turn the tide only after Lerner sells. Until then, it's crisis management.

Should get along well with them then :D

• Like 1

Anyone worked out what the feck he is here for yet. Or is it just a posh name on the board for when we sell.  

This club ain't won frack all, its worth nothin. "Oooooh but they have great infrastructure, an Mervyn King on there board, must be a quality outfit".

2 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Very pleased with the appointment. By far the most senior and qualified person we have on the Board and hopefully will improve decision making.

You realise the truth behind him resigning from the bank of England, yeah?

Â