IT stuff

Tayls

So, what have you guys heard about working out download speeds for a nKB file from a nMbps connection? 

Not 100% sure I understand the question but on a 10Mbps connection you can download a 1MB file in about a second.

So, assuming a small amount of errors, corruption, etc, would you say that on a 10Mbps connection you can download a 1MB file in about a second?

Tayls asked about how to work out how long it takes. Your answer had the benefit of being succinct but approximate, Darren. Mine (perhaps) has the benefit of "showing the workings".

Only joking dude [emoji106]

On 21 December 2015 at 15:38, blandy said:

It's a question with 2 answers if you use kB, and 2 different ways of getting there -  Some software engineers tend to work it out as follows using binary units:

1 Byte = 8 bits.

1 kiloByte  = 1024 Bytes

so 1Mb = 128kB (128 x 1024 x 8)

so a 1Mbps connection will download a 128kB file in 1 second and an 8Mbps connection will download a 1MB file in a second (this assumes no losses, bit errors, corruption etc. and no FEC.

BUT

Most non-softies tend to use the more commonly accepted IEEE & SI decimal based definitions of kilo and Mega (1000 and 1,000,000). Which makes the sums a tad easier.

1 Byte = 8 bits.

1 kiloByte  = 1000 Bytes

so 1Mb = 125kB (125 x 1000 x 8 bits)

so a 1Mbps connection will download a 125kB file in 1 second

Though once you get to talking about MB, the answer is the same with either definition - an 8Mbps connection will download a 1MB file in a second (this assumes no losses, bit errors, corruption etc. and no FEC).

So if you use MB instead of kB the answer (in time) is the same for each definition, (though the amount of bits transferred is different).

Confusing then. I understand the latter method is more common these days. But it still can cause confusion when you get say software engineers and (say) communications engineers potentially using different definitions of what (how many Bytes) a kiloByte is.

Perhaps a softie could clarify. I'm more of a comms system engineer.

Cheers for this Blandy, spot on for what I needed. I'm doing some stuff for uni and as I'm sure you are aware they are pretty hot on showing the workings. We're also being encourage to use 1024 for file sizes instead of the 1000. 

The question I have completed recently was a relatively easy one in the end - it gave me two countries download speeds and the size of a file - I had to show how long it took for it to download in each location using scientific notation etc etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just lately on VT whenever I want to change topic within the same forum even, I keep getting an annoying message "Message from Web Page" Do  you wish to leave this page?  False then options "Leave the Page" or "Stay on the Page" - it's only been recently and only when viewing on my PC at work - when I use my tablet at home this doesn't happen - any ideas how to stop it doing it - it's driving me mad.

1 minute ago, Hev said:

Just lately on VT whenever I want to change topic within the same forum even, I keep getting an annoying message "Message from Web Page" Do  you wish to leave this page?  False then options "Leave the Page" or "Stay on the Page" - it's only been recently and only when viewing on my PC at work - when I use my tablet at home this doesn't happen - any ideas how to stop it doing it - it's driving me mad.

There's a forum for site issues, you might have more answers if you post a topic in there (but follow the red instructions at the top of the forum or you risk the wrath of limpid :) )

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Chaps, I'm thinking about setting up a home server, mainly just to practice playing around with this kind of stuff for my certifications and job. 

What should I use it for? 

At the moment I'm only running a laptop and tablets with a broadband connection. Looking at buying a new desktop though... 

What do I need to get? Any help would be grand

Â