The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not so sure. Man city was better but we got a point partly due to a couple of very poor moments from them. Everton was worse than anything we've seen this season and Saturday IMO was no better than against Sunderland or for the majority of the game against Leicester. 

I disagree. Not about Everton, that was bad.

But Saturday was better than anything we've produced this season, imo. We were just let down by defensive frailties. 

Which is obviously ultimately the manager's responsibility, but I'm willing to give him more than a couple of weeks to sort that out.

• Like 2

My advice to Remi Garde would be this:

1) Pick the best team you can according to each game. In other words, don't go gung-ho against the likes of the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Protect the goal difference in those games, if possible.

2) Against all other clubs, just go for it. Play Traore out right, Ayew out left and Gil behind a striker. I wouldn't even mind seeing N'Zogbia playing left back with the hope of seeing a few more crosses into Gestede.  If we are to go down then let's do it by trying to the win the game and, by trying to show some real threat. Try to give us a sign that, if we do go down, there is hope for next season at least.

I think that is all the fans can really ask for between now and the end of the season. After that, whatever will be will be. The fans know who the real reasons behind our plight and won't give you too much stick, if any, if you play the right team in the right games.

• Like 2

So do I.

Not so sure about N'Zogbia in there. I think Ayew on the left with Richardson would be ok as Ayew works hard and will protect the fullback.

I really want to see Gil tried there, although my fear would be with Gestede instead of Ayew up front, he won't have any runs to pick out.

Our best formation/XI remains a difficult one to pick. I think Garde has gotten closer than Sherwood did all season though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Agreed. Without sounding to down on bloke, there isn't a single formation in which Gastede would make my first 11.

I think there is, but it would only be because Ayew might be being used elsewhere.

For example, Gil moved to the middle, Ayew wide, leaving Gestede up front.

Gestede is an asset if he is your focal point and you are going to build your team around him.

He definitely needs wingers who are only there to cross the ball to him and either a strike partner or attacking midfielder just behind to support in the box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there is, but it would only be because Ayew might be being used elsewhere.

For example, Gil moved to the middle, Ayew wide, leaving Gestede up front.

I said I didn't want to sound to hard on him and I really don't, but there are quite a few "fronts 3's" I would rather pick than one with Gastede in it. We have looked pretty toothless upfront all year, and with Ayew settling in nicely the last thing I'd want to do is push him to wing. 

I had Gestede upfront as I think Ayew can play that wide forward role and bang some in, not sure how far Kozak is from returning. If Gestede could just learn to hold the ball up a little better then our passing game can still be effective.

Hence having N'Zogbia as LB and this may be harsh on Hutton, but possibly Bacuna as RB, only issue is that it would/may compromise the defence (although it's been pretty compromised all season to be fair).

Guzan

Hutton  Richards  Okore  Richardson

Sanchez     Gana

Traore              Gil                Ayew

Kozak

Until we can get a couple in in January

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I cannot find any reference to him having played left back. Apart from under Sherwood (once I think) has he ever actually played left back?

If he hasn't, surely we would be taking a helluva chance.

If you're referring to the Zog, he played LB for Wigan a few times.

• Like 1

Gestede tries to shoot. I read a statistic somewhere the other day that suggested he was the only one of our players to average more than one shot a game. That was before Watford, and I think Ayew may just be over it now, but fundamentally you have to at least try to score, and for all his well-known other faults, Gestede does at least shoot. 

16 minutes ago, Whatever happened to ..... said:

I honestly believe we will not be in the bottom three come January 1st 2016

If you'd have said come April 1st 2016 I would have said you were being optimistic.  January 1st? I'd be gobsmacked if we aren't still bottom by them

Â