The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

8 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Sorry, that's goals against. I will edit it.

No-My apologies. I should have realised this.

I would however agree with the previous poster, that its a tad early to be drawing stats from Remi's reign.

Sherwood lost his first two in charge here-Time is still on Remi's side. Whilst there is hope, we need to be positive.

• Like 1

Poor Remi has ruined his career by coming here. The squad is just so lame. probably the worst in our premier league history. never seen such a bunch of no hope losers. Aston Villa legends must be nodding their heads in shame at this current crop of bozos

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Already said I thought we played okay.

I would add that for those critical of the defending, it was no worse than Watfords.

Even the character of the side looked improved, we didn't fold at 0-1 or at 1-3, even if our panicked approach to the last ten minutes was poor.

It really was a game that could've gone either way and showed IMO there is little difference between us and the other nine clubs in the bottom half.

Unfortunately there is one all important significant difference, and that is that we wasted the first third of a season.

Taken in isolation though, I'm not sure there was much more to criticise than any other Club in the lowerhalf.

I 100% agree with everything the above poster said. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Already said I thought we played okay.

I would add that for those critical of the defending, it was no worse than Watfords.

Even the character of the side looked improved, we didn't fold at 0-1 or at 1-3, even if our panicked approach to the last ten minutes was poor.

It really was a game that could've gone either way and showed IMO there is little difference between us and the other nine clubs in the bottom half.

Unfortunately there is one all important significant difference, and that is that we wasted the first third of a season.

Taken in isolation though, I'm not sure there was much more to criticise than any other Club in the lowerhalf.

When you look at the way Norwich took the game to Arsenal today, matched them in attacking endeavour and came close a number of times to going ahead, can you really envisage our lot would be able to equal that effort in terms of physical presence or skill? We will have a chance to find out in a couple of weeks but, unless we improve massively on the levels we reached yesterday,I can't really envisage that we will come anywhere near Norwich's accomplishment.

So I'm not so convinced by this assessment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, weedman said:

We were far more unlucky yesterday than we were lucky against City.

Against City we restricted them to only a few real chances which on another day they may have scored, but because we restricted them to only a few chances they snatched at them somewhat

Yesterday we dominated the game until they very effectively killed it in the last 10 mins, but they scored from a lucky double deflection landing perfectly for their best finisher which you wouldn't be able to replicate 99 times in 100, an own goal which, while not the best defending, would not have ended in a goal 9 times out of 10, and another lucky deflection resulting in the ball spinning away from our defender and perfectly positioned for their best header to get on the end of it - a couple of feet away in any direction and that's not a goal.

We're shit, truly terrible and look odds on to go down but we were unlucky yesterday. If we were generally playing well and higher up the table everyone would just be putting that down to "one of those days", it's only because we've been so bad this season we're slaughtering the team for that performance which was good and 99 times out of 100 we'd have won that comfortably.

I agree with the majority of your points. I personally think that the reason Watford were able to effectively shut the game down for the last 10 minutes, was when we replaced a midfielder to go with two up top (Gana for Rudy I believe). While Gana wasn't that great, missing that extra body in the center of the park made it much easier for Watford.

Using Rudy as an aerial target man is all well and good, but let's face it, he can't hold the ball up at his feet even if you put super glue on his boots, hence after he came on we never really got anything going in the final 1/3.

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

When you look at the way Norwich took the game to Arsenal today, matched them in attacking endeavour and came close a number of times to going ahead, can you really envisage our lot would be able to equal that effort in terms of physical presence or skill? We will have a chance to find out in a couple of weeks but, unless we improve massively on the levels we reached yesterday,I can't really envisage that we will come anywhere near Norwich's accomplishment.

So I'm not so convinced by this assessment.

I do agree with your point about physical presence. A few teams can fall back on muscling the opposition if they start running rings around them. Other than Sanchez, Richards and maybe Gana I don't think we have the players to try this sort of tactic.

We could potentially try a Gil toss from a catapult in the North Stand, but this might raise a few eye brows.

2 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

No-My apologies. I should have realised this.

I would however agree with the previous poster, that its a tad early to be drawing stats from Remi's reign.

Sherwood lost his first two in charge here-Time is still on Remi's side. Whilst there is hope, we need to be positive.

I'm with you, I feel he will improve us over time. What I like from him is that he keeps talking about the need to defend as a team. I believe once we get that sorted, we will start to improve.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I like that Garde says he is likely o change the defence round for next game. Good thank god as some of have been crap . Richardson, Hutton and Clark all need to be out of the side

Clark is suspended anyway 

Norwich did do well yesterday , they have some decent strong players in the team.Wisdom at RB on loan from Liverpool IIRC looked decent but they were dominated for the early part of the game the injurys hurt Arsenal Gabriel was at fault for the equalizer and Sanchez going off made them far less of an atacking force.They have been ropy in generally lately hopefully they stay that way when they come to play us ( though they also have all the other teams round us to play in that spell as well) 

I wonder if Crespo or Illori will feature. i still think Senderos should be brought back in. He is no-nonsense and really goes mental at the players if they are not doing their job properly

Edited by Demitri_C

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we've already improved, even though results haven't followed suit.

That doesn't bode well for our Premier League survival, but longer term it might.

I'm not so sure. Man city was better but we got a point partly due to a couple of very poor moments from them. Everton was worse than anything we've seen this season and Saturday IMO was no better than against Sunderland or for the majority of the game against Leicester. 

I think Garde will produce better, even though it won't be enough, but I haven't really seen a clear improvement yet.

The thing with Garde is he knows the problems unlike sherwood who contiuned to make same mistakes. personally I think garde knows most of these players are pants but he knows he cant do anything at the moment so trying to get the best out of them.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we've already improved, even though results haven't followed suit.

That doesn't bode well for our Premier League survival, but longer term it might.

Sorry for being a negative bastard but I just don't see this. When we go down, half of these players probably won't be sticking around (the so called talented ones we signed in the summer), I'm fairly sure of that. 

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wonder if Crespo or Illori will feature. i still think Senderos should be brought back in. He is no-nonsense and really goes mental at the players if they are not doing their job properly

Illori has to be given a go, he can't be any worse than what we have. I also want to see Okore back in the starting 11. Our defence has cost us big time. 

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sorry for being a negative bastard but I just don't see this. When we go down, half of these players probably won't be sticking around (the so called talented ones we signed in the summer), I'm fairly sure of that. 

I'm hoping that a half decent manager can develop a system/philosophy that means individual personnel won't be so vital.

Obviously it's wayyyy too early to say whether Garde will do that or not. But I can't help liking him and feeling like he'll do a good job.

Edited by Stevo985

Â