The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He's already produced two performances that have been better than anything Sherwood managed this season.

And it appears as though he's not a prick, which is a bonus.

Man City was a good performance but the last 2 games we were woeful.

7 goals shipped in the last 2, sorry but I don't see that as progress.

We did play well...but the defence is a constant accident waiting to happen not helped but some awful luck with deflections...

I also don't think to a man we on paper are worse team in league but put them together as a team and we have issues and god knows Amavi is a huge miss.

Garde has somehow gota piece together a team that is more solid easier said than done when LB is clearly an issue and despite being able to full a whole team of CB's we can't seem to find a solid pairing. 

We are definitely improving - not as much as we would wish, but improving. Still a long way to go, and we need a few astute signings in January.

Apparently no team has recovered from this position. Well, we have broken many unwanted records over the past few years, let's break this one. We are not done yet.

• Like 4

The thing that has disappointed me is that I thought Garde would bring in some fresh ideas and different formations and tactics similar to what he did at Lyon. So far it appears exactly the same as what we had been doing before. Gil being played out wide, the inclusion of Grealish at Everton both mistakes IMO that have been made before. The starting of Veretout week in week out is also starting to grate me, he is gash and I can see why he was left out, he is way of the pace and his passing is shit. Like sanchez he is also done after 60 mins. 

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We are definitely improving - not as much as we would wish, but improving. Still a long way to go, and we need a few astute signings in January.

Apparently no team has recovered from this position. Well, we have broken many unwanted records over the past few years, let's break this one. We are not done yet.

Yes we are. Yesterday was a must win and we blew it. No points from our next two games either. Getting lucky against Man City, thrashed at Everton and losing a must win home game against Watford whilst conceding 3 goals is not what I'd call an improvement.

There were positives yesterday, particularly impressed with Ayew again. However, it's not just the defence that needs to improve, it's the midfield that needs to stop giving away the ball so carelessly. Watching the highlights again, we concede possession so much. Sanchez in particular needs to release the ball far quicker, even if he does smash it upfield so we can reshape. It too easy for other teams to exploit this weakness just by pressing high up the pitch.

Their 3rd goal yesterday summed it up. Had Hutton controlled the ball properly, they wouldn't have scored. But instead he got caught out and Clark was too weak to deal with Deaney. These aren't isolated incidents and they need fixing quick. 

• Like 1

Took Poch at Soton and Spurs untill 2nd season to get them playing how he wanted , Garde has walked into a year on year shit storm and lost one our best players for the season so its not easy to turn around.

The defence problem could argue goes back to last season but really pre season when we brought in Richardson etc it looked dodgy.Now I like Richardson but really  he is a more athletic Baker ,makes the great last ditch tackles but he doesn't organise and his positioning is questionable. 

• Like 3

People expecting a new manager to improve us drastically in three games is delusional.

If he had walked in to a club in perfect condition that would still be very much to ask to give someone three matches to implement their ideas. He's walked into a club where everything is far from perfect and pretty much **** up. It was an extremely hard mission from day one.

• Like 1

Stop conceding stupid goals (and new keeper please); Improve possession (this is notably improved under Garde short tenure); improve wing play/penetrative attack/creative outlet; Find some one to lead the line and score reliably.

i feel the second striker behind the front man linking midfield/attack should be either Ayew or Adama possibly in rotation. We need to use Adama, he could be our Talisman much like Benteke was, he's the sort that can make things happen from nothing at all. He just needs to add goals and we have the new Tony Daley.

56 minutes ago, jim said:

Man City was a good performance but the last 2 games we were woeful.

It was OK but owed a lot to the awful finishing of City, had they got their finishing right they would have won by three or four

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm flabbergasted that people thought that was a good performance.

I think recent years have severely lowered people's standard of what is a good performance. E.g home games against Citeh and United. Barely a registered a shot on goal in both games and were lucky not to concede 3 against City. Would a Palace or Stoke fan consider either a good performance? I doubt it. But many Villa fans do because we expect utter shite from the players 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hanky said:

First half I'd say so. Second half was back to the norm. I don't think we mustered one proper attack in that 10 minutes injury time.

yeah I agree, I posted yesterday that we didnt have a shot in 2nd half just as Ayew scored but we still had a lot of dangerous attacks that scared Watford in 2nd half without doing anything

56 minutes ago, jim said: Man City was a good performance but the last 2 games we were woeful.

It was OK but owed a lot to the awful finishing of City, had they got their finishing right they would have won by three or four

We were far more unlucky yesterday than we were lucky against City.

Against City we restricted them to only a few real chances which on another day they may have scored, but because we restricted them to only a few chances they snatched at them somewhat

Yesterday we dominated the game until they very effectively killed it in the last 10 mins, but they scored from a lucky double deflection landing perfectly for their best finisher which you wouldn't be able to replicate 99 times in 100, an own goal which, while not the best defending, would not have ended in a goal 9 times out of 10, and another lucky deflection resulting in the ball spinning away from our defender and perfectly positioned for their best header to get on the end of it - a couple of feet away in any direction and that's not a goal.

We're shit, truly terrible and look odds on to go down but we were unlucky yesterday. If we were generally playing well and higher up the table everyone would just be putting that down to "one of those days", it's only because we've been so bad this season we're slaughtering the team for that performance which was good and 99 times out of 100 we'd have won that comfortably.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm flabbergasted that people thought that was a good performance.

We looked the best i've seen us going forward in a long time

Defensively we were shit as usual though and Garde is forced to work with some very limited shite defenders unfortunately and that is what our downfall will be

Â