The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, Mantis said:

I hope we keep Garde - this isn't his mess.

To be honest, I don't actually think we'll lose that many players against our own will simply because there's so little proven quality in there. Unless we finish strongly but still go down I don't think there'll be many of our players who will have PL clubs queuing up to sign them. Even Amavi could end up staying due to his injury.

I think you're right. The only player who I think will definitely go is Richards

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Does anyone think garde will stay on with us if we go down?

Nope, he will swan off into the sunset with his pockets stuffed full of Euro's

There is certainly more negatives than positives about us at the moment but the appointment of garde is a big positive ,I like him a lot

I think he will be good for us long term ,short term ? I don't think the best manager in the world would sort us

For arguments sake, i do agree that our position is in no way Garde's fault but he is the one we've chosen to try and save us and he has got 75% of the season to do it.

Were Sunderland in any less of a mess than us before they hired Allardyce for example? They've just won back to back and for the 3rd time i think since he took over there, would he have gotten wins with this team? I'm not saying we should have gone for him but its interesting really.

Obviously in hindsight its going to be easy to say ths and that but i do wonder if we should have gone for that sort of manager if only for a year to steady the ship before we went down the continental route given that Garde will need time and we just dont have it.

On Mon Nov 09 2015 18:53:42 GMT+0000, StefanAVFC said:

You can't see us winning a game?

Is this one of those 'I'm not negative, i'm realistic' posts?

Well I hate to say 'told you so' but now having seen our non-attacking draw against Man City, our capitulation against Everton and a pathetic performance against an incrdibly poor Watford I feel a lot of people will see that as a realistic statement! And I said no wins before Xmas (i.e. before we make any signings) not ever. Does anyone see a win against one of Southampton (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (a), West Ham (h) or Norwich (a)? I can't.

Realistic comes from us being odds on to lose or draw each of those games. We won't be favourite for one of them. It comes from being the worst team ever at this stage. It comes from us shipping goals at ease, it comes from our midfield show lack of both fight or guile and it comes from our strikers offering next to nothing.

In fact I'd go as far as saying that without significant first team signings in January, we will be relegated with less points than Derby achieved with this squad. People still have faith in the players and think they just lack tactics/ fitness/ organisation/ fight/ confidence or whatever other excuse. I think it's simpler than that  - they lack quality. Richards can be a good defender, the rest are useless more often than not. The midfield doesn't have a standout player, certainly not reliable, and the strikers don't score. If we were truly honest we'd keep Richards and... Ayew? Traore and Grealish have potential but have rarely delivered. Oh and Amavi, but typical our best player gets a significant injury. Every single one of the rest of them isn't good enough.

• Like 3

Can't blame Garde, its more or less the team we would have all picked.

Time for a change at the back 2 goals at home should be 3 points , new keeper , left back  and striker , change the central defenders and stick Richards at RB. 

Were going down may as well throe the dice 

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Well I hate to say 'told you so' but now having seen our non-attacking draw against Man City, our capitulation against Everton and a pathetic performance against an incrdibly poor Watford I feel a lot of people will see that as a realistic statement! And I said no wins before Xmas (i.e. before we make any signings) not ever. Does anyone see a win against one of Southampton (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (a), West Ham (h) or Norwich (a)? I can't.

Realistic comes from us being odds on to lose or draw each of those games. We won't be favourite for one of them. It comes from being the worst team ever at this stage. It comes from us shipping goals at ease, it comes from our midfield show lack of both fight or guile and it comes from our strikers offering next to nothing.

In fact I'd go as far as saying that without significant first team signings in January, we will be relegated with less points than Derby achieved with this squad. People still have faith in the players and think they just lack tactics/ fitness/ organisation/ fight/ confidence or whatever other excuse. I think it's simpler than that  - they lack quality. Richards can be a good defender, the rest are useless more often than not. The midfield doesn't have a standout player, certainly not reliable, and the strikers don't score. If we were truly honest we'd keep Richards and... Ayew? Traore and Grealish have potential but have rarely delivered. Oh and Amavi, but typical our best player gets a significant injury. Every single one of the rest of them isn't good enough.

I agree with this. In a couple of months time I think the majority of Villa fans will aswell 

Our midfield is a huge issue.

Gana, Vertout and Westwood have been mostly average to awful.

Sanchez is the best at pressing or tackling but the worst at giving the ball away in critical areas. 

Gil is wasted out wide and doesn't seem to be as affective as he was. Bacuna surely is a better option than Vertout?

Ayew looks decent, Sinclair is inconsistent but at least we seem to have some width and the option of Adama.

Richardson will continue to cost us goals as the guy isn't anything close to being a left back.

Clark has been woeful since he returned, maybe because he and Richards aren't a good partnership, maybe because Richards charges out forcing Clark to cover two positions. Whatever the case the defence is flat footed and paper thin.

We are running out of players or tactics that can make a difference.

Ilori is a big risk as even when/if he is fit this is a player who hasn't played a game in the premiership yet, and that is bound to show.

Crespo despite his beard isn't anywhere near the team at the moment, no idea if he is injured.

Gardener has been a week or two from fitness for about six months.

Kozak is no nearer starting.

Okore and Adama are the only players who have got back into the match day squad.

pretty desperate, and if Lerner does splash the cash in January which seems massively unlikely we could be so far adrift that he could sign Messi, Ronaldo and Ethan Moore and it would make sod all difference.

For arguments sake, i do agree that our position is in no way Garde's fault but he is the one we've chosen to try and save us and he has got 75% of the season to do it.

Were Sunderland in any less of a mess than us before they hired Allardyce for example? They've just won back to back and for the 3rd time i think since he took over there, would he have gotten wins with this team? I'm not saying we should have gone for him but its interesting really.

Obviously in hindsight its going to be easy to say ths and that but i do wonder if we should have gone for that sort of manager if only for a year to steady the ship before we went down the continental route given that Garde will need time and we just dont have it.

Big Sam has employed a tactic used by Rogers and Lambert once he realized he has dodgy cbs ..you play 3.This has made them more solid granted but they have also been helped out by Palace gifting them a win and Shawcross getting himself sent off for stupid fouls today

Would Sam do as well here ,hard to say but he would not have the exp perm players he got at Sunderland inc 2 decent strikers and a Young player in Whatmore who looks a great prospect

9 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Big Sam has employed a tactic used by Rogers and Lambert once he realized he has dodgy cbs ..you play 3.This has made them more solid granted but they have also been helped out by Palace gifting them a win and Shawcross getting himself sent off for stupid fouls today

im terrified seeing us play 2 centre backs at the moment but throw in a 3rd would lead to even more keystone cops defending

Remi is the man.

Quite enjoyed watching us today. Nice to see us putting together us some decent moves. Players just have no confidence and not a huge amount of ability. We are so so painfully easy to score against.

We were the better side today. Results like that happen when you're bottom, and going down, it's shit.

Hope Remi sticks with us in the Summer.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Despite the result, I think it's very unfair to call today's performance "Pathetic"

Well once again I was sitting five rows from the front, right next to the dugout and pretty much everything I saw was pathetic. And the ten odd people around me that chat every week also agreed it was pathetic.

The defence couldn't handle Watford's forwards, the midfield lost countless battles and misplaced numerous passes and the striker was largely uninvolved for large swathes of the match. There was little quality from anything other than setpieces, which just is odd that if you're going to focus on whipping balls in that you don't put a target man in the box to at least cause problems. We spent a lot of the time lost for ideas. Traore was probably man of the match based on a late substitute appearance, that says a lot!

So no, I don't think it is unfair at all and neither do all the people who sit around me. This isn't a "I'm a better fan than those who don't go" but it is what me and lots of people think based on what we're seeing week in, week out with our own eyes.

Â