The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Ah yes, whenever we get a good result we're just lucky.

Don't know why people can't just accept that we put in a good performance against Man City despite the abject one against Everton.

It's weird, isn't it.

I even find myself thinking "we play other teams into form" but if we don't lose to a team that is not playing to their full potential it's "we should have won, not drawn" or "we got lucky to play them at this time". The truth is that Remi and the players are NOT responsible for the form of the other team - they are responsible for how they performed.

When we got a good draw against Man City that was because we played well! Their "form" would have made no difference if we put in another performance like we had in the previous games this season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

We were lucky to catch Man C at the start of a big dip in form. Liverpool beat them 4-1 we got a 0-0. Just about sums up where we are right now in comparison to the rest of the premier league.

I don't even know what this means.

How does capitalising on a poor Man City performance (I don't think it was poor, but that's beside the point) sum us up?

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

It's weird, isn't it.

I even find myself thinking "we play other teams into form" but if we don't lose to a team that is not playing to their full potential it's "we should have won, not drawn" or "we got lucky to play them at this time". The truth is that Remi and the players are NOT responsible for the form of the other team - they are responsible for how they performed.

When we got a good draw against Man City that was because we played well! Their "form" would have made no difference if we put in another performance like we had in the previous games this season.

The other truth is that if Man City turn up and play 100%, then they win.

It really annoys me when people say "yeah we won but Chelsea/Man City/Spurs etc didn't play well"

Yeah. No shit. If a team that much better than us turns up and plays their best then they beat us. Easy.

All we can do is play well enough to capitalise on a poor performance or, in the case of man city as I don't think they were particularly poor, a bit of luck.

I think it's all down to the general negativity around the club. Which is understandable given our league position! 
But it IS possible for there to be some positives around. But some people seem to have this belief that if things aren't going well, that absolutely everything about the club HAS to be a negative.

Even when we get a good result, people can't seem to accept that we might have done something well. It MUST have been a fluke. It MUST have been the other team being monumentally shit rather than us doing anything decent.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

How does capitalising on a poor Man City performance (I don't think it was poor, but that's beside the point) sum us up?

More often than not we don't capitalise on opposition poor form so it doesn't sum us up at all really!

I trust Remi and think he knows what he's doing, but that still might not be enough to keep us up.

We need to some big massive bollocks from the team tomorrow. They have to want to play the ball. It doesn't take much to get confidence flowing. A couple of good moves and everyone will want it but first 10 mins it will be very tough.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Another try.

1, We played man C at the start of a big dip in form, which was demonstrated by subsequent matches, e.g. losing 4-1 to Liverpool

2. The fact that we got a (fortunate) 0-0 at home and Liverpool ripped them apart at the Ethiad just shows how much of a gulf there is between us and Liverpool.

You may not agree with this but it's a bit odd to say it can't be understood. It seemed to me it was one of my less complex contributions. :)

BTW, if you don't think Man C performed poorly against us, you maybe haven't watched them much earlier in the season.

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Another try.

1, We played man C at the start of a big dip in form, which was demonstrated by subsequent matches, e.g. losing 4-1 to Liverpool

2. The fact that we got a (fortunate) 0-0 at home and Liverpool ripped them apart at the Ethiad just shows how much of a gulf there is between us and Liverpool.

You may not agree with this but it's a bit odd to say it can't be understood. It seemed to me it was one of my less complex contributions. :)

BTW, if you don't think Man C performed poorly against us, you maybe haven't watched them much earlier in the season.

Well I assumed you were getting at something less blatantly obvious than the fact we're not as good as Liverpool.

You don't need to look at anybody's performance against man City to know that.

I don't think they played particularly poorly against us. I don't think they were at their best, but like I've already said, if Man City turn up and play their best, they beat us. It doesn't matter how well we play, they beat us.

We have to be good enough to capitalise when they're not at their best, which we were.

Edited by Stevo985

24 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Another try.

Liverpool beat them 4-1, yes - but off the back of the demoralizing draw at every other teams "second home ground": Villa park.

They were in no condition to play well against Liverplop after our rousing display shattered their confidence ;-)

Paul Merson reporting on the handling of Jack Grealish after the Everton Game, blames Remi for letting him go and not insisting he goes back on the coach.

I absolutely disagree with Merse on this......There is always a time and I suspect with all what he has heard, Remi thought i will find out for myself.

I understand the point Merse is trying to make, but he needs to understand Remi's thinking.

Remi has been with us a wet day, he needs to know who he can trust, he needs to know who he can trust to responsibly handle the job.....as the saying goes "give them enough rope"

He probably found out more doing that than watching Jack in a game. If jack had of had a few beers and made his way home.....Remi would have said to himself, I can trust this boy on the pitch.

You cannot be behind every player all of the time, you need to be able to trust them.

I don't think this man is anyones fool.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The other truth is that if Man City turn up and play 100%, then they win.

It really annoys me when people say "yeah we won but Chelsea/Man City/Spurs etc didn't play well"

Yeah. No shit. If a team that much better than us turns up and plays their best then they beat us. Easy.

All we can do is play well enough to capitalise on a poor performance or, in the case of man city as I don't think they were particularly poor, a bit of luck.

I think it's all down to the general negativity around the club. Which is understandable given our league position! 
But it IS possible for there to be some positives around. But some people seem to have this belief that if things aren't going well, that absolutely everything about the club HAS to be a negative.

Even when we get a good result, people can't seem to accept that we might have done something well. It MUST have been a fluke. It MUST have been the other team being monumentally shit rather than us doing anything decent.

We have our moments Stevo, but I absolutely agree with you on this.

The chances are and all things being equal better teams than us will beat us.

Where the variables come in is if we work harder than them we may catch them on a day that they don't to work as hard a us and the better technical ability is negated.

My problem has been I don't think ( Man City aside) we have been working hard enough, running around the pitch and not closing the opposition down is not my idea of hard work, getting in players faces and battling for the ball is my interpretation of hard work.

A horse running fast around a race track with no Jockey on is my idea of Ineffective......That is what we have been tantamount to.

• Like 1

Agree with all of that.

I said when Garde came in that if he could get this team organised and working hard we would pick up results based on that alone. That's how teams lacking quality get points. It's dull, but it works to an extent.

The City game made me think he'd already gone some way to achieving that. The Everton game less so.
Hopefully Garde and Duverne can get the team playing like that.

Â