The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

it's contradictory for the reasons outlined!

although it's not that important, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree over what constitutes hyperbole and contradiction.

It's not though. I still don't know how you came to that conclusion? Unlike you I never made out that there's only a very slim chance of him staying.

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think we need significant investment as long as we hold onto the bulk of our good players this season.

I think we need to buy some players, but we don't need to spend 50 or 60 million or anything silly.

I think that will happen. A combination of wanting to come back up first time and Garde threatening to walk if he's not backed (effectively) will mean there is money to spend.

I think there will be at least 10 players leaving so I would imagine we will bring in about 4/5. we have some loan players returning and I imagine some will promoted from u-21

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think we need significant investment as long as we hold onto the bulk of our good players this season.

I think we need to buy some players, but we don't need to spend 50 or 60 million or anything silly.

I think that will happen. A combination of wanting to come back up first time and Garde threatening to walk if he's not backed (effectively) will mean there is money to spend.

Even in the championship I can see Lerner providing the usual 20 mill per season at least in the first year. Can see Garde going for some young foreign talent with that money. Wages will be straightforward too, x1 departing Nzogbia pays the wages for at least 4 new recruits.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's a very short sighted way of looking at it.

What's getting us relegated is the awful start to the season we had.

Firstly, the squad playing as they're playing now wouldn't get relegated. I'm reasonably confident that had we had Garde from the start of the season we wouldn't be in this much trouble. We're improving all the time.

Secondly, the good players I'm referring to are players like Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Adama, Gil, Richards (at RB), Okore etc. Those complimented with a striker, goalkeeper, the returning Amavi, and maybe a couple of other Championship level players will be a good Championship team. Very good in fact.

Pretty much. We'll walk the Championship if we keep those players and make a few additions.

15 hours ago, terrytini said:

Quite agree Lerner is the problem.  But I'm surprised you think that should make him the target.  IMO the appointment of Hollis is unambiguously for him to be Lerner in the UK, at Villa, to all intents and purposes.Lerner has gone, for all realistic purposes. Hollis = Lerne,. (which would also mean the appointment wouldn't look as strange). 

And it is Hollis who said he wont sack Remi.

And you can bet your life Hollis had the final say in January, and will in the Summer.

So to me it makes sense...Hollis has so far carefully positioned himself to SAY he wants continuity, to SAY he wont get rid of the Manager.............whilst at the same time clearly (from Remis comments) FAILING to do enough to keep said Manager.  At the moment the equation could very well be...........We are not sacking him//////he wants XYZ.////////we don't give it him/////he's walked = villain,( like MON), ////appoint a patsy/////fail to go up//////rinse and repeat.

Targeting Hollis will achieve nothing. If anything, Lerner will succeed in having put him in place as a shield.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I think there will be at least 10 players leaving so I would imagine we will bring in about 4/5. we have some loan players returning and I imagine some will promoted from u-21

10 leaving? Care to hazard a guess? Hutton Guzan Richardson Nzogbia are the only ones I'd want rid of for definite. As long as we keep our 1st team squad in the whole together and add to it we will be a very good championship team. 

2 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

10 leaving? Care to hazard a guess? Hutton Guzan Richardson Nzogbia are the only ones I'd want rid of for definite. As long as we keep our 1st team squad in the whole together and add to it we will be a very good championship team. 

Guzan, Hutton , Richardson, Bennett ,  Baker  , Clark  , Sanchez , Nzogbia (done), Agbonlahor, Gestede, Kozak

3 hours ago, KHV said:

There will be a lot of players leaving.

But I doubt many of them will be first team regulars. 

Edit: of the ones you've listed above, only Gestede is a regular, and to be honest I don't think he'll leave either as he'll probably be ok in the Championship

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Guzan, Hutton , Richardson, Bennett ,  Baker  , Clark  , Sanchez , Nzogbia (done), Agbonlahor, Gestede, Kozak

You want to go into next season with Lescott, Richards, and Okore as our only center backs who are likely to be bought up or leave? You also want to go into next season with only Ayew as our striker who is also likely to be bought? 

We'd have no team...

12 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

You want to go into next season with Lescott, Richards, and Okore as our only center backs who are likely to be bought up or leave? You also want to go into next season with only Ayew as our striker who is also likely to be bought? 

We'd have no team...

We will sign about 5 players of that I'm sure plus the midfield with Gardner back is solid, I expect a few from the U-21s to be included too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KHV said:

We will sign about 5 players of that I'm sure plus the midfield with Gardner back is solid, I expect a few from the U-21s to be included too

I doubt we will sign many players and I am not sure you want U-21s who are completely untested being our only options for striker. We would basically seal another relegation if we did that. Plus why would you get rid of players like Gestede and Bennett who did well in the championship? Who'd they go to? Probably a direct competitor cause I don't see a premier league team snapping them up. Then we why would we get rid of Baker and Clark who would certainly be adequate back up in the championship? Who would you replace them with? Other back up players from the championship? It would be insane to get rid of that many players, then just hopefully sign players back of similar quality. 

2 hours ago, KHV said:

I can't see us getting rid of all of our strikers even though I don't think any are good enough. Can see Clark being a big player next year alongside Okore. The others are either being marginalised now or virtually gone already so no great shakes. It's who we keep that'll determine how next season goes. 

We won't be able to pick and choose who we keep especially if our improvement continues but it's not enough to keep us up, we'd be in danger of losing the likes of Ayew, Veretout, Grealish, Gil, Gueye, RIchards, Amavi, Okore and perhaps even the likes of Clark, Agbonlahor, Westwood and others.

1 minute ago, useless said:

We won't be able to pick and choose who we keep especially if our improvement continues but it's not enough to keep us up, we'd be in danger of losing the likes of Ayew, Veretout, Grealish, Gil, Gueye, RIchards, Amavi, Okore and perhaps even the likes of Clark, Agbonlahor, Westwood and others.

It will depend on relegation clauses - Hull managed to keep a large chunk of their squad by putting huge transfer tags on key players - they wanted 30 million for Andrew Robertson. We need to be hard nosed and aggressive if we go down. Our only aim should be getting promoted - not cutting costs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KHV said:

I disagree with the '10 leaving' part but the rest is true. I would anticipate we'll be using a lot of the loan players returning who now have Championship experience, ie Baker, Gardner, Steer etc. 

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

It will depend on relegation clauses - Hull managed to keep a large chunk of their squad by putting huge transfer tags on key players - they wanted 30 million for Andrew Robertson. We need to be hard nosed and aggressive if we go down. Our only aim should be getting promoted - not cutting costs.

There's a long way to go until we worry about it anyway, still over a third of the season to go. Although we might see quite a shake-up what ever division we're in.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

There's a long way to go until we worry about it anyway, still over a third of the season to go. Although we might see quite a shake-up what ever division we're in.

I am not worried about it. It is what it is.

Â