The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 minutes ago, TB said:

For what it's worth - I don't think Garde's wages will decide. The board's support (or lack thereof) might. When he arrived, IIRC he spoke about a medium-term project. That's clearly not just a part of a single season, but hinting at a longer-term rebuild, probably accepting a possible relegation along the way.

He comes across as a quietly stubborn character, one that won't want to quit once he has agreed to take on a project. It was reported that he offered to resign at Lyon if the board decided to sell one particular player that he deemed essential to the team.

I believe that the only thing that will make him look elsewhere is if he isn't confident that he'll be given the required tools (economical support) by the board to do what he thinks is necessary.

He might not work out, of course - and whether he does or not, the board may decide to fire him and look for another manager.

Think your spot on- the only way I see him staying is if he's offered a decent war chest to get us promoted and less input from these fools on the board, not sure if he's the right man or not to get us back up but I find it hard not to like him. Seems a classy character and his honest assessments of games are refreshing IMO. 

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm less worried about Remi leaving and more worried about who we replace him with.

Given our current strategy for replacing managers, who is the antithesis of Remi?

Pearson?

Ally McCoist

11 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm less worried about Remi leaving and more worried about who we replace him with.

Given our current strategy for replacing managers, who is the antithesis of Remi?

Pearson?

Hopefully it won't  be Gary Neville...

"After a 1-0 defeat to Real Betis, Valencia have now played nine games under Neville - and haven't won any of them..."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/valencias-record-under-gary-neville-7327790

7th in the form table for last 5 games.  That's pretty impressive compared to where we've come from.

The board better bloody back him whatever happens from here on in.  We're not going to find anyone better out there,

• Like 3

Just now, Richard said:

what do you all mean by he better be backed? what level of backing is enough?

Whatever Remi deems is needed. He's not stupid enough to try and bankrupt the club with stupid signings but strongly going after his main targets, early, not feeding on scraps and not signing players he doesn't really want would be a decent enough start. He can manage and identify players.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Stop being pedantic. You know exactly what people mean.

No I dont.

Is 5M backing? 10M? 20M? 30M what level of financial backing would cinstitute backing him in people's opinion.  You see I think that  varies so when someone says he needs to be backed,  I've learned from experience , to now question what that means

I don't have a monetary value on it.  Depends where we end up, who we manage to ship out and for how much etc.  

What I mean is that he is backed to get what he thinks he needs.  I don't expect he'll go in with a shopping list of Messi, Neymar and Neuer.  He knows where we are and I hope he knows roughly what he's got to spend so, with the transfer committee, they should be identifying targets around that.  If he says we need 5 new players to compete and the boards say no, sod off you can only buy one then that would be not backing him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

No I dont.

Is 5M backing? 10M? 20M? 30M what level of financial backing would cinstitute backing him in people's opinion.  You see I think that  varies so when someone says he needs to be backed,  I've learned from experience , to now question what that means

If Remi is able to bring in the players he wants then he will have been backed. There is not a monetary value on it

• Like 2

If Remi is able to bring in the players he wants then he will have been backed. There is not a monetary value on it

I don't think it is that easy. Targets need to be realistic and the player has to want to be here.

That said, I don't believe the board has done all it reasonably could to get players in during the last window. Given our position, I'm not sure if that is negligence, stupidity or simple surrender.

It's not just a case of signing players. No doubt we will have players leave in the summer, but the board helping the manager hold onto the ones he thinks will be important next season will also be considered backing. Given our history of selling our best players though, I do have little hope.

I really hope that Remi can somehow get us to stay up. A miracle if he does.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are PL next season I would like the following:

Manager - Remi Garde

Staff - Remi's 1st choices

GK - New Signing + Bunn + Youth

RB - New Signing + Richards

LB - Amavi + Cissokho

CB - Okore + New Signing + Lescott + Clark + Youth

DM - Gana + New Signing

MF - Veretout + New Signing + New Signing + Lyden + Youth

AM - Gil + Ayew + Adama + Grealish + Youth

CF - New Signing + New Signing + Youth

40-80mill spent

Either Sell or release:

Guzan, Hutton, Bennet, Bacuna, Sanchez, Westwood, Sinclair, Gestede, N'Zog, Gabby & Kozak.

How much would we get for this lot? probably not much

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are Ch next season I would like the following:

Manager - Remi Garde

Staff - Remi's 1st choices

GK - New Signing + Bunn + Youth

RB - Richards + Bacuna

LB - Amavi + Cissokho

CB - Okore + Lescott + Clark + Youth

DM - Gana + Sanchez

MF - Veretout + Westwood + Gardner + Lyden

AM - Gil + Ayew + Adama + Grealish

CF - New Signing + New Signing + Gestede + Youth

10-20mill spent

Either Sell or release:

Guzan, Hutton, Bennet, Sinclair, N'Zog, Gabby & Kozak.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at "40-80mill spent" compared to "10-20mill spent" I'm very scared that RL, SH & TF will find the "Championship/spending 10-20mill the more attractive option

11 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I've never been gay for a manager before, let alone a Villa manager but I can't get enough of Remi, he oozes class just looking at him then he opens that little French gob of his and that accent comes into play and I begin to melt. What makes it even better is that whilst the voice is calming, soothing and elegant it's also delivering frank, honest, open and intelligent discussion. This manager knows what's what, there's no bullshit, he knows our weaknesses and our strengths and is developing a team that is slowly being able to pick up points and aren't easy to beat.

If the board have any sense whatsoever they will support him in the summer. Villa have a real asset in Remi, don't **** it up Villa. I'm not holding my breath sadly.

I agree, good post.

Sadly, I got the distinct impression after we signed ZERO players in the last transfer window and hearing Remi's comments, that things he was promised on taking the job have not happened.

I really hope the board don't screw this up, by pissing him off so much that he quits.

Can I offer a suggestion ?

1- Everyone is talking about "will Remi stay" and who might replace him.

2- Supporters ( including me )  signed a petition showing our support for him.

Bearing all this in mind and knowing how 99.9% of Villa supporters feel about the board and their backing of Remi I would like to propose a petition to the board telling them that they keep Remi as our manager and support him.

I would also suggest that ST holders let the board know ( in no uncertain terms ) that they will not renew unless Remi is retained.

Â