The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Tom, I've signed the petition, and here's my reasoning.

First of all, though Remi hasn't overseen the best results, I do put a lot of that down to the situation he inherited. A team low in confidence, already in the relegation zone. A squad containing many players who were still getting used to the league and others who were just not good enough. Considering those factors, I didn't expect us to jump up the league when he came in. I did expect an improvement, which took longer to come than I wanted, but if I'm being fair to Remi, the lack of confidence and losing mentality was probably his first huge hurdle, which took a while to get past.

So, all in all, I think he's now doing a 'good' job, and a few weeks ago he was just doing an 'okay' job, but the main reason that I want Remi to stay, is because if we go down and he leaves, I can only see us bringing in a much, much worse manager than him.

Can you imagine who Fox and Hollis will consider to be our best chance of promotion?

They won't convince Moyes to come to our sinking ship. They won't want to take the risk on a foreign, untested manager. I'm also sure they won't pay to poach a decent manager who's currently doing well in the Championship, so we will probably just have the pick of unemployed managers who have had Championship experience. That is a big, big concern. In my opinion. Remi must be a better choice than Holloway or Coyle or whoever else Fox and Hollis turn to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

If as someone said Lyon are looking for a manager then I suggest the board pull their finger out and sign up the back room staff Remi wanted earlier in the season that would be a sign he is in it for the long term and the board believe in him.  

one of them is actually Lyon coach at the moment

11 hours ago, S-Platt said:

If as someone said Lyon are looking for a manager then I suggest the board pull their finger out and sign up the back room staff Remi wanted earlier in the season that would be a sign he is in it for the long term and the board believe in him.  

I should think he will get paid more for us even if he has to take a cut in the Championship then he would at Lyon.  Plus he's been there and done that, I'd be more worried about another club coming in rather than Lyon.

10 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Well 

He's saying that now garde has a 15% win rate he's met my expectations.

Actually they are not my expectations of a villa manager. 

Yesterday you implied that it was wrong of me to expect garde to win at all given my opinion on the squad. My point with regarding the 2 or 3 wins (15%) was that with any squad, that sort of win percentage should be achievable. So regardless of what I think of the squad, I still think they should be able to win a match ot two.

what you said you were after was evidence he can win football matches, and used the percentage as a gauge for that. I was simply saying that, on your terms, he has now proved he can win football matches.

Warmed to Garde in the last few weeks. Must say like his honesty in his interviews. Think he was spot on yesterday when he said it wasn't a good performance but got the job done. Refreshing after the last two who looked as if they watched a different game to most.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Warmed to Garde in the last few weeks. Must say like his honesty in his interviews. Think he was spot on yesterday when he said it wasn't a good performance but got the job done. Refreshing after the last two who looked as if they watched a different game to most.

This is a good point. His candour in interviews is welcome - I appreciate him not trying to spin us lines all the time. He could easily have pretended the first half was fine yesterday, or brushed over it and moved to the second half, but he didn't, he admitted it was poor and below his expectations in a way that leads you to believe that he'll actually work on what went wrong, albeit with the limited tools at his disposal. 

observation and question:  I think all managers have a style they prefer and if they are good, will get there with time and money.  But a good manager will take whatever he has and figure out a way to make it effective.  I think Remi came in knowing he had four problems: Confidence.  Lot's of new players still trying to adjust to the speed of the league. A defense that gifted goals as a hobby.  An attack that was anemic.  It has taken time, it has taken some trial and error (as it always must), it has hit some real setbacks with injuries and red cards and some baffling refereeing decisions, and a complete absence of support in the window.  But he is getting us playing in a way that has a chance of succeeding in most matches at least.

Question:  Watching on television I could tell that we shifted the tactics a bit at half-time.  The midfield was alligned a little differently.  (Gana playing farther forward perhaps?) But it's so hard to tell on television when you can only see a small section of the field.  Can someone tell me exactly what changed up?  EDIT of course things changed after the second goal and the field opened up a bit, but I sensed something different before the goal and after, beyond just the more open field.  It could be I'm wrong, but a poster above mentioned something to the effect that the changed tactic was good.

Edited by srsmithusa

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Managers don't leave these days with the amount of compensation available if sacked. 

Unless they get offered a "better" job. Lots move that way.

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but I doubt he will get paid more than at Villa. Guess it will depend on whether he would take a pay cut. 

Doesn't necessarily have to be better paid though.

If the rumours of Lyon wanting him back are true, and he's ok with managing them, he could quite easily walk away from Villa if he's not happy here even if Lyon pay less and he'd miss out on compensation.

Â