The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind?

Wow.

I thought I couldn't be clearer that I think that is what needs to be avoided at this stage !! Fwiw if I had to choose, I'd keep him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I keep reading people mentioning a 1000 signature target. What happens then?

We know 1000 people had enough spare time to click on an online petition.

Edited by briny_ear
spelling
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

People are signing petitions to encourage a football manager (who can't win football games) to stay?

Seems like a decent chap and his tools aren't great but he should have had enough to muster 2/3 wins by now.

Why should he? You're forever telling us how shit we are but you still expect the manager to get us winning games?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

Why should he? You're forever telling us how shit we are but you still expect the manager to get us winning games?

Haha. 

We are shit. Doesn't mean we are incapable of winning a football game. And a 15/20% win percentage is not the greatest of expectations. 

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Haha. 

We are shit. Doesn't mean we are incapable of winning a football game. And a 15/20% win percentage is not the greatest of expectations. 

Our recent managerial history suggests that winning games is quite a big ask for this team. The reason people want him to stay is that it's clear that he knows what he is doing so when we don't win games it's becoming clear to see that the squad probably just isn't up to it which would fall in line with your general opinion of everything villa. 

Edited by sexbelowsound

7 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Our recent managerial history suggests that winning games is quite a big ask for this team. The reason people want him to stay is that it's clear that he knows what he is doing so when we don't win games it's becoming clear to see that the squad probably just isn't up to it which would fall in line with your general opinion of everything villa. 

It's been clear for ages that the squad isn't good enough. Don't know why it's taken so long for ppl to recognise that.

Good managers still win with poor squads. Not asking for miracles. Just some evidence that he can win football matches.

1 hour ago, Godders said:

If Garde goes tonight then, who's your choice?

Well I haven't really thought about it tbh. Not sure what my choice would have to do with whether or not remi garde can win football matches. 

It's got so bad that i would have taken David moyes - believe me when I say how hard that is for me to say.

Tho I don't really see what difference garde has made to sherwood or even lambert. Out or the 3 I'd take paul lambert.

Your choice has nothing to do with whether or not Remi can win matches, but since you're suggesting he's not a good a manager because he's not winning matches, I was just interested to see who you would rather realistically have.

Personally, I think I've seen enough from him to suggest he can win us matches, more so than anyone else I think we can realistically get, assuming he has the right tools (and more so than our previous two managers). I just hope he's backed in the summer so he can get the players in he feels are good enough to get us out of the championship. 

Anyone else bothered that he didn't commit to next season in the press conference and the question was then cut off by the Villa PR guy?

He also said he is still very happy he came to the club. So.

Also, I didn't appreciate the way Pete Colley was desperately trying to back him into a corner and hopefully trick him to admitting he had been let down by the board. If Remi has something to say, he will say it I'm sure.

Rémi's English still isn't perfect and I think that both Rémi and the press officer were getting a bit pissed off with Pete's incessant pushiness. Rémi answered the question, he isn't thinking that far ahead. Saying that isn't the same as being noncommittal.

We may not all agree, but Rémi believes he is in a relegation battle. At this moment I'm not worried that he will walk. I think there will need to be discussions, but I think he's game for the fight.

I hope I'm right because I think he will go on to become a very good manager.

I like Garde, so don't read this as me getting excited about him leaving, but with his recent comments about wondering whether next year's 'project' is for him, i'd like to think the club are lining up a list of candidates to replace him should he walk (or not be deemed qualified to bring a team up from the championship).

Just throwing jt out there but would Moyes be the ideal replacement? He might have to take the drop to championship to recover his reputation and he could do a lot worse than us. I've always had the feeling he's custom made for us.

Failing him, other 'proven' championship managers might include:-

• McLaren (if Newcastle sack him) - not popular i'm sure
  • Pearson (not a fan at all myself as I think he was bankrolled at leicester but he has experience nonetheless)
  • McKay?
  • Maybe a sacked manager from teams whom survive in the prem like Pardew, Pulis or Howe

Just interested in people's thoughts.

9 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Haha. 

he is on 12.5% at the moment from all his games and thats including beating Wycombe. His league record must be about 7% at this stage

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

he is on 12.5% at the moment from all his games and thats including beating Wycombe. His league record must be about 7% at this stage

I know that's what I'm implying. Simply not good enough. Despite the circumstances.

Â