The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

17 minutes ago, useless said:

We won't be able to pick and choose who we keep especially if our improvement continues but it's not enough to keep us up, we'd be in danger of losing the likes of Ayew, Veretout, Grealish, Gil, Gueye, RIchards, Amavi, Okore and perhaps even the likes of Clark, Agbonlahor, Westwood and others.

Seeing as all of them are under lengthy contracts apart from Okore I think we can pick and choose who we keep. You've basically just said we are doomed and everyone will go! It doesn't happen like that. If Ayew scores a handful before the end of the season he'll be in demand and Richards has still got a good rep but we'd make a big profit if he went apart from that I doubt we'd be under too much pressure to sell. You've sold Amavi who's hardly played and will still be proving his fitness come August!! If we keep the players Remi wants we will come straight back up. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Seeing as all of them are under lengthy contracts apart from Okore I think we can pick and choose who we keep. You've basically just said we are doomed and everyone will go! It doesn't happen like that. If Ayew scores a handful before the end of the season he'll be in demand and Richards has still got a good rep but we'd make a big profit if he went apart from that I doubt we'd be under too much pressure to sell. You've sold Amavi who's hardly played and will still be proving his fitness come August!! If we keep the players Remi wants we will come straight back up. 

sadly I don't believe we will  . The squad is not good enough, Or strong enough in midfield this squad will struggle unless added to in the summer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

They're under contract, but have relegation clauses, if teams offering more money want them then more than likely they'll move. And I haven't said we are doomed (I don't even think we'll be relegated in the first place) nor have I said everyone will go.

You'd be amazed what a contract can do. There is no need to sell any of these players 1 year into their contracts.

Personally, their choices will be:

- play for us in a winning side and aim for a transfer in a year or two ala Charlie Austin

- or be frozen out and sit on the bench in the Championship, which will do wonders for their market value.

22 minutes ago, useless said:

They're under contract, but have relegation clauses, if teams offering more money want them then more than likely they'll move. And I haven't said we are doomed (I don't even think we'll be relegated in the first place) nor have I said everyone will go.

If we want to be hard-nosed about it, we can keep them.

• Like 2

I don't think we should necessarily assume that because we didn't spend in January that we won't spend in the summer. It seems that Lerner and co had already decided it didn't make good business sense to gamble millions on survival with us seemingly gone, I disagree with that by the way, but if they're planning on actually sorting this mess out then they surely realise the need to buy some decent players. Randy has put money in on numerous occasions when it's been needed, we've just signed a load of players in the summer and he may well do so again. 

He might not but my point is not to assume he won't based on the last window.

39 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I don't think we should necessarily assume that because we didn't spend in January that we won't spend in the summer. It seems that Lerner and co had already decided it didn't make good business sense to gamble millions on survival with us seemingly gone, I disagree with that by the way, but if they're planning on actually sorting this mess out then they surely realise the need to buy some decent players. Randy has put money in on numerous occasions when it's been needed, we've just signed a load of players in the summer and he may well do so again. 

Sadly the difference between last summer and this summer is the new board. Lerner is taking a back seat, the purse strings are well and truly tightened. 

The part of the bank manager will be played by Mr Hollis and the crew..... Which will probably play out similar to January 

This simply isn't true these days. Contracts aren't worth shite.

Wanna bet?

1 year into a 4 or 5 year contract and their only choice is to do a Saido and that's working out well for his career...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

This simply isn't true these days. Contracts aren't worth shite.

Contracts with release clauses in aren't worth shite but we've proved in the past that we only sell on our terms. Benteke being the prime example of both of these!! 

• Like 1

We can only make guess and predictions as to what's going to happen. I stand by initial famous decleration that 'he's going to revolutionize the whole football club, from top to bottom'. Regardless of what players we mght lose, I think if Garde is at least given something to work with then we're in safe hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Hollis an crew will have a even bigger excuse in the summer, saying that we are being relegated and no decent player will come to us. Either that or we have a Premier League side going into the Championship, we won't need any new players

There will be some red faces on here if he does get backing and it still doesn't work out.

I have no reason to doubt him, but equally fail to see the euphoria too, so early.

when he has the opportunity to bring in his own players and sets about building a team, I will have more to go on.

The rest of the season will also be a barometer.

certain games so far have been encouraging, others not so much, but that's understandable under the circumstances.

His persona lends itself to a studious deep thinking man, with an inner strength and that could be so, but equally could be a well rehearsed stereotype that appeals to some who favour the unknown or the quiet silent type who say very little......it's as long as it is short.

The jury is still out for me....there is much to be done and much to see for me.

i wish him well, like any manager and if he is successful my team will be too, so my objective will be met.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

His persona lends itself to a studious deep thinking man, with an inner strength and that could be so, but equally could be a well rehearsed stereotype that appeals to some who favour the unknown or the quiet silent type who say very little......it's as long as it is short.

To me he's a thinker and I disagree that he says little - he's just calculated with what he says. I doubt he's setting up some kind of charade or character.

23 minutes ago, rubberman said:

^^ given the average tenure for a championship manger is less than a year, if we do go down its not statistically likely Remi will be around for long anyway. 

But an average is made up of longer and shorter, so he could at the top end of that.

9 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Targeting Hollis will achieve nothing. If anything, Lerner will succeed in having put him in place as a shield.

Well I couldn't disagree more, but have said why.  I think you/us need to forget Lerner.

And in any event, the type of questions I am suggesting will NEVER be asked of Lerner, will they ? Its Hollis or no-one IMO

Anyway, as long as you are targetting someone and its not the Manager I'm all for it !!

Â