Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

I agree at looking at Championship or League 1 players who would want to Develop. If we did go down i would ask Chelsea for Patrick Bamford on loan and Watford for Matěj Vydra on loan to solve the scoring as both score for fun at that level. Would make most of our squad up for sale if not all.

Lower League players to look at that can better

Tom Bradshaw (Walsall, potential to be the next Austin in Premiership. He Also started off in Non-League Wales for Aberystwyth Town. Has 30 goals in 58 games for Walsall)

Rico Henry (Walsall, 18 year old left back who has been excellent this season and assisted most of Bradshaw's goals)

Josh Windass (Accrington) goalscoring midfielder with 8 goals already this season. Aged 21 and son of Dean Windass

Bradley Dack (Gillingham) another good player and scores a lot for a midfielder

lots of other options, when we went down this route last time we purchased the likes of Westwood, Bowery, Lowton who all was not even the best players in their divisions. The one's i have mentioned are in top bracket in League 1 and 2.

• Like 3

Given that we'll be as good as down by January there's little point spending any money. Maybe just get a few loan players in and save the meagre pennies that Lerner provides for the summer.

Edited by villa89

17 minutes ago, ermie123 said:

Gestede should do well in the Championship as he clearly is not a premier league player.  Mind you neither are the rest of them!

For Gestede to score regardless of league we still need someone who can cross the ball in the air to him

We have been linked with Henri Saviet, Andre Gray (Burnley) and Michael Keane (Burnley) in various newspapers today. Gray wouldn't be able to play until summer anyway as played for 2 clubs this season (Brentford before joining Burnley for £9mil)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/478218/Henri-Saivet-Bordeaux-Premier-League-Everton-Tottenham-Aston-Villa-Swansea

Everton, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Swansea and Bournemouth were all represented at Anfield when Saivet scored a superb opener in his side’s 2-1 defeat.

The Senegal international, 25 has been converted into a central midfielder after starting his career playing out wide or as a forward.

And the army of scouts could not have failed to be impressed by Saivet, who will be available for £3.5million in the January transfer window.

Everton are long-time admirers of the player, while Sunderland and Southampton are also among those teams who have shown interest in him in recent seasons.

Saivet was once hailed as the new Thierry Henry and reached Under-21s level with France before committing to his native Senegal in 2013.

He is known for his pace, dribbling and power – but showed his technical skills at Anfield when he curled in a delightful free-kick in front of the Kop.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-mill-10519711

Aston Villa boss Remi Garde is reportedly targeting a Championship centre-half to bolster Aston Villa's defence in the January transfer window.

According to The Sun, Villa are interested in Burnley defender Michael Keane.

They claim the claret and blues have sent scouts to watch the 22-year-old former Manchester United youngster who is also being monitored by Everton.

Villa's defensive woes were laid bare during yesterday's 3-1 home defeat to Watford which left them rooted to the bottom of the Premier League table.    

Garde's strugglers have conceded seven goals in their past two matches.

Keane, who made two senior appearances for United after coming through the Old Trafford ranks, is contracted to Burnley until the summer of 2018, having joined them on a permanent deal in January following a loan spell.

He has been a first team regular for the Clarets this season, scoring three goals.

Edited by Villan4Life

In the list of things that are never ever going to happen, Randy Lerner allowing a manager to spend £15m on a striker who couldn't play for 6 months surely has to be top of the list. Do these journalists even think about what they're writing?

I would quite like to see Jeremy Toulalan come in as a stop gap solution, yes he's 32 years old but a player of his ilk is exactly what our midfield needs, someone who can win the ball back, is cool and calm in posession and can rally the rest of the team. For me, a decent window would be Toulalan, Aly Cissokho returning from loan, a quality centre back to partner Richards and maybe a striker. If we can't get the centre back at least put Senderos back in the squad, he looked quite decent when he was playing for us!

Saivet was once upon a time considered to be the next great superstar from the French League alongside......Eden Hazard.He is most definitely not what we need.

Dare I say it, we need a proper, proven goalscorer (Charlie Austin) and an experienced centre-half who isn't on his last legs like Lescott. The latter i'm not too sure about.

Micah Richards has been our best player this season but he should not be our main centreback, not a chance, he just isn't very good. 

20 hours ago, ermie123 said:

Gestede should do well in the Championship as he clearly is not a premier league player.  Mind you neither are the rest of them!

Gestede has been no great surprise. He has proven that he scores goals in any league when given the correct service. Whoever signed him and then didn't think we needed wingers to fire in crosses to him all game is deluded.

Planning for the Championship is something you would expect any competent board to be doing as a Plan B

However, plan A should be staying in this league, and It shouldn't matter even if we don't get another point between now and January. Whilst it's still Mathematically possible to stay up, that should be the main goal. And that means providing the Manager with any funds necessary. 

Going down is one thing, excepting relegation while there is 5 months and plenty of points left is quite another. If the Club don't spend the Chairman should be dragged out of B6 by his balls. 

Over to you Randolph.

Edited by av1

We need players to join,  benefit from a few months at a higher level to give them the taste and hunger for it,  stay with us and battle for promotion next season using the few months experience they have had in the premiership

James Collins, Shane Long and Ki please.

Personally would have gone for Huth in the summer.We lack physicality, and need a lump at the back, who can organize, and a midfielder who has a bit of strength and tenacity to play alongside Sanchez.Move Richards to RB, not enough positional awareness to play CH, play Okores alongside Collins, and bring back Cissokho, probably the best defensive LB we have.

We make too many defensive errors.

James Collins :blink: you smoking rotterdams finest.

a back 4 including Collins was shit 5 season ago don't you remember.  Ki has a very high opinion of him self when it comes to wages. And why would long leave Southampton. 

Edited by thabucks
Miss read OP

On FM (I know I know) Demarai Gray has a £5m release clause. Looking online and it seems the clause is real and Leicester were going to sign him.

1) Adds pace and width

2) Can benefit from a few months in the PL, can certainly offer something in the championship

3) Resale value should be taken into consideration if we don't get back up for a while.

4) The club will need to retain the fans somehow and a young exciting winger is probably the start to in doing so.

5) He will come (even though we are horrifically bad we are still a step up)

If we are to do it we must do in January as I can imagine a few premier league clubs will be in for him next summer. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

We need players to join,  benefit from a few months at a higher level to give them the taste and hunger for it,  stay with us and battle for promotion next season using the few months experience they have had in the premiership

That's something I expect our Chairman is thinking. 

I'd prefer him to thinking that what we need are players good enough to keep us up, and then acting on that by handing the Manager enough money to obtain them.

Granted that's wishful thinking.

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

James Collins :blink: you smoking rotterdams finest.

a back 4 including Collins was shit 5 season ago don't you remember.  Ki has a very high opinion of him self when it comes to wages. And why would long leave Southampton. 

It is all relative isn't it? That deference was streets ahead of our current line up and Collins is part of the West Ham defense sitting in the top half of the league.