England v Estonia

andykeenan

I thought it was as boring as ****! Hard to judge because it's finished, we've qualified, walcotts goal was a thing of beauty, great run, brilliant ball, brilliant composed finish (it's bollocks that Walcott can't finish) I know woy toes the party line and says he's more or less there but I struggle to find anything exciting about us, vardy did nothing wrong but he's still Jamie **** vardy, Barkley had a great game but he's still the 9th second coming since gazza

With no villa player on show I really struggle to be interested

Fwiw I think Roy has a shape, he's got a formation, he's got an idea, if he sticks with it I think we might be ok, if he changes it because he's trying to shoe horn players in (ie like every other England manager in my life, including himself criminally in Brazil) then we'll fail again, my judgment is out on Roy until everyone is fit and he had to drop someone

Pretty fair summary. I've only watched extended highlights, but it seemed a decent performance really. We looked more balanced and better able to open the opposition up than in recent fixtures. It was clearly an advantage having no Rooney, and he shouldn't get back into the team until he's shown some consistent form for United. 

Overall, France was a pretty decent tournament for us last time we went there, with good players and genuine excitement (and memorable music). Here's to cautiously hoping for history to repeat itself. 

We lacked two things last night - a ruthless striker and someone who could open up the defence (shit, I sound like Sherwood!!!)

Too many times we were in their final third and just passing sideways again and again, no movement from Kane and no one to thread the ball through - even if they did Lallana probably would've run into them!

I think Barkley could do the answer behind the striker but last night he was played further back in midfield - regardless, he had a great game

As for a striker, we don't look in great shape IMO.

We lacked two things last night - a ruthless striker and someone who could open up the defence (shit, I sound like Sherwood!!!)

Too many times we were in their final third and just passing sideways again and again, no movement from Kane and no one to thread the ball through - even if they did Lallana probably would've run into them!

I think Barkley could do the answer behind the striker but last night he was played further back in midfield - regardless, he had a great game

As for a striker, we don't look in great shape IMO.

Strikers really? Rooney is Rooney although he dosen't really turn up for International tournaments. Sturridge needs to stay fit but if he can you have a 20 goal a season striker to call upon right there, Welbeck isn't great but his international record is pretty good. Kane was poor last night but he's scored a couple at International level already, thought he took his goal v Swiss really well. Walcott is certainly improving at leading the line aswell.

I think England's striking options are as good as most European teams. Let's remember someone like Diego Costa has looked woeful so far playing for Spain. Likes of Italy and Holland if they make it don't have great selection choices either.

The problem will be when England play against the very best their central midfield options are pretty mediocre.

I think Barkley is a great prospect, the Gazza comparisons are there to be seen as he is a powerful runner with the ball at his feet and he has that bit of subtlety to his game too (as highlighted by the assist for the opening goal) but he's sometimes still a bit greedy and can run into blind alleys with the ball, he needs to lose that from his game.  

While it seems people have been talking about him for years it's important to remember he's still only 21 with just two full seasons of first team football under his belt, he's got talent but lacks experience, the experience will come providing he doesn't go and do something stupid like sign for Chelsea or Manchester City and spend the next three seasons on the substitutes bench. He might have to leave Everton for Champions League football at some point but if he does move then make sure it's not to a club who only want to sign him to fill a quota or stop him moving to another rival.

Â