The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

On 2015-10-05 at 15:07, islingtonclaret said:

The Sam Smith's pubs are about the only place I can consistantly get a good pint. Failing that, The Prince of Wales in Highgate is a great pub with all the characters from the village, sometimes spoiled by a dodgy pint.

I'll be visiting London in a couple of weeks. (Around the O2) Any recommendations apart from the above that needs a visit?

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah it's an enjoyable, rather wistful read. Drinking beer from a vessel made of china, I must give that a go some day.

I remember reading that article last year and wondering what Orwell would make of the Moon under water in Wolverhampton. 

As for pub recommendations, if George's Moon under water in Wolves doesn't appeal, The Posada is quite good. Probably one of, if not the best pub in the centre of town.

And following a stag do a few months ago, if you're ever in Cork, I'd suggest The Oval and An Bodhran Bar. Both small, traditional pubs with a good atmosphere.

If I went for a pint between lectures then posada was my watering hole of choice, Cuban Revolution if I'm going to the civic, Gifford if I'm on a session there (rare)

Went to the grain store for a couple before the preseason game in the summer, was pretty good

16 hours ago, Tegis said:

I'll be visiting London in a couple of weeks. (Around the O2) Any recommendations apart from the above that needs a visit?

If you're visiting the O2, you'll be around Greenwich. A couple of regular boozers for me in that neck of the woods are:

The Gypsy Moth - this is by the Cutty Sark. If you arrive in Greenwich via. the Thames Clipper, it's the first pub you encounter. Good food in this one, a lovely little beer garden. They used to have an unusual beer selection, but someone bought it out a couple of years ago....I think Taylor Walker or M&B.

The Greenwich Union - A meantime pub, and Meantime make a lovely pint. If you're a real ale purist, maybe not for you as Meantime have adopted the American style 'pale ale' revolution everyone is going mad for - so it's all Nitro tap. If you're more up for a traditional pint head next door to

Richard I - Probably the best beer in this area. Had a couple of sessions here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah it's an enjoyable, rather wistful read. Drinking beer from a vessel made of china, I must give that a go some day.

I remember reading that article last year and wondering what Orwell would make of the Moon under water in Wolverhampton. 

As for pub recommendations, if George's Moon under water in Wolves doesn't appeal, The Posada is quite good. Probably one of, if not the best pub in the centre of town.

And following a stag do a few months ago, if you're ever in Cork, I'd suggest The Oval and An Bodhran Bar. Both small, traditional pubs with a good atmosphere.

I wonder what he'd have made of what was the Moon Under Water on Upper Street, a stones throw from Canonbury Square where he lived. I don't think the people that named the pub read the article.

It was cack. Still is. Good for football, and I don't have that much interest in that anymore.

19 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

If you're visiting the O2, you'll be around Greenwich. A couple of regular boozers for me in that neck of the woods are:

The Gypsy Moth - this is by the Cutty Sark. If you arrive in Greenwich via. the Thames Clipper, it's the first pub you encounter. Good food in this one, a lovely little beer garden. They used to have an unusual beer selection, but someone bought it out a couple of years ago....I think Taylor Walker or M&B.

The Greenwich Union - A meantime pub, and Meantime make a lovely pint. If you're a real ale purist, maybe not for you as Meantime have adopted the American style 'pale ale' revolution everyone is going mad for - so it's all Nitro tap. If you're more up for a traditional pint head next door to

Richard I - Probably the best beer in this area. Had a couple of sessions here.

I've been to the Gypsy Moth. Was a lovely day and the beer-garden was indeed excellent.

Will check the other two, thank you!

On 6 October 2015 at 17:48, Wainy316 said:

Going overseas, Szimpla in Budapest is one of my favourite drinking establishments on earth, if a little tourist heavy.  More of a ruin bar than pub but I'm including it anyway...

cab5efd898d7865c3a60b1ee567546f4.jpg

7899897116_9f1aec96b9_z.jpg

Have to give you a belated like for this Wainy.

I went to this place for a stag a couple of years ago, but had no idea what it was called until I just re-read your post (we were referring to it as "Derelicte" all weekend and have done ever since).

Fantastic sprawling place, really lively, a must if you're in Budapest.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This thread has been quiet lately.

The Combermere Arms on the outskirts of Wolverhampton city centre, in Chapel Ash. Don't order a jägerbomb though, the last time I was in there, the gentleman serving wasn't sure how it was made and quoted me £5.50 per bomb.

Fun facts about this one, which you'll no doubt find fascinating. As well as having a tree in the gents, I also used to work in the white building in the left of the picture. 

I knew you'd be fascinated. 

image.jpg

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This thread has been quiet lately.

I've barely been out this year due to various factors (work, illness, useless mates!) but now the better weather is approaching, need to get my drinking boots back on. Nothing better than a lazy afternoon in the sun soaked beer garden.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I've barely been out this year due to various factors (work, illness, useless mates!) but now the better weather is approaching, need to get my drinking boots back on. Nothing better than a lazy afternoon in the sun soaked beer garden.

These drinking boots of yours, are they slip ons or velcro? ;)

Yeah, once the sunny weather arrives I'll be looking for nice beer gardens so I can sip a cold pint and stare at ladies in summer dresses.

• Like 1

Perfect weekend for a day in a beer garden. Messaged my mates and all of them have got other commitments (family, kids, etc)

I need new friends. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Perfect weekend for a day in a beer garden. Messaged my mates and all of them have got other commitments (family, kids, etc)

I need new friends. 

I recognise a call to arms in order to go for a pint when I see one.

Oh Xela, my Xela!!!

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I recognise a call to arms in order to go for a pint when I see one.

Oh Xela, my Xela!!!

I even offered to drive. Christ, I must be awful company recently! :D

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

I even offered to drive. Christ, I must be awful company recently! :D

These days I find it easy to head to my local for a few drinks by myself. I've met a fair few people I perhaps wouldn't have spoken to if I had arrived with my mates.

But I guess an afternoon session in a beer garden on your own isn't quite the same!

• Like 1

Not for the beer, but they do great Indian mixed grills. 

New Soho Tavern in Hockley/Handsworth 

new-soho-tavern-birmingham.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Not for the beer, but they do great Indian mixed grills. 

New Soho Tavern in Hockley/Handsworth 

new-soho-tavern-birmingham.jpg

Good shout, the food is different class! I love the Soho Tavern

Â