Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

2 hours ago, Richard said:

7 points the difference?  We have 5 points from 14 games and people expect us to make up a 7 point gap just to get out of the bottom three.  I'll remind you that would require those above us to do worse than us in the games we are getting those 7 points as well.  Not a chance in hell

Your second point there seems to imply that you think we are incapable of getting seven points from the remaining 24 games of the season. Even though we've gotten 5 from the first 14. Which is the basis of your first point. 

If we were to continue picking up points as we have done so far this season, we would finish the season with 13/14 points. Which would see us relegated. However I think the people who are advocating the idea that maybe we're not definitely relegated are suggesting that our form would improve over the course of the remainder of the season. If Garde gets his message across and the defence tightens up somehow that is, and then add a few timely signings in January, including a behemoth signing in central defence ideally, and the thinking then is that we could make up the 31-33 points required to keep us up from the remaining 24 games. 

The season isn't over as soon as a lot of people seem to think it is. There are a lot of 'ifs' in this relegation battle yet to play out. If the players we bought over the summer eventually start to click, we'll be fine. We need there to be a change. If there is no change, as seems to be the expectation from most on here, we'll be relegated. I'm expecting a change.

12 minutes ago, YLN said:

Your second point there seems to imply that you think we are incapable of getting seven points from the remaining 24 games of the season. Even though we've gotten 5 from the first 14. Which is the basis of your first point. 

If we were to continue picking up points as we have done so far this season, we would finish the season with 13/14 points. Which would see us relegated. However I think the people who are advocating the idea that maybe we're not definitely relegated are suggesting that our form would improve over the course of the remainder of the season. If Garde gets his message across and the defence tightens up somehow that is, and then add a few timely signings in January, including a behemoth signing in central defence ideally, and the thinking then is that we could make up the 31-33 points required to keep us up from the remaining 24 games. 

The season isn't over as soon as a lot of people seem to think it is. There are a lot of 'ifs' in this relegation battle yet to play out. If the players we bought over the summer eventually start to click, we'll be fine. We need there to be a change. If there is no change, as seems to be the expectation from most on here, we'll be relegated. I'm expecting a change.

No I think we are incapable of clawing back a seven point difference from those above us in order to stay up.  We may very well get another 7 points, we may not (how great is that for a club like us we are debating whether we'll get another 7 points).  But those hoping we will get the points are, IMO,  missing the point that it depends upon other teams (three of them) going into such a run that making that 7 points gap means something,  that they actually stand still and wait for us

For us to stay up it's entering manager of the season territory for Garde to pull this off. A massive ask. He will be a broken man even before we start next season in the championship. I Feel sorry for the guy to a certain extent. I  wonder if he wished he kept his powder dry for another season? 

As we’re going down does anyone know the status of the relegation clauses, who has them can they leave for 50p etc?

Would be handy to keep the vast majority of players (apart from Richardson)

I'd rather they all leave to be honest. They are not good enough and won't have the stomach for the Championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I Feel sorry for the guy to a certain extent. I  wonder if he wished he kept his powder dry for another season? 

Why? He took the job on knowing full well what a task it was and he is being payed millions to do it.

If we get relegated he should be fired, and rightly so!

Just now, Hanky said:

I'd rather they all leave to be honest. They are not good enough and won't have the stomach for the Championship.

Agree. Usually you are supposed to keep the spine of the team in order to retain a good chance of coming back up but this team has very little steel about them both mentally and physically and would just get eaten up in the championship. Big changes are needed in the summer.

12 minutes ago, jim said:

Why? He took the job on knowing full well what a task it was and he is being payed millions to do it.

If we get relegated he should be fired, and rightly so!

I think we will have to stick with him no matter what. You can't have 4 full time managers in less than a season and a half. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think we will have to stick with him no matter what. You can't have 4 full time managers in less than a season and a half. 

Of course we can, we are Aston Villa and nobody has any idea how to run a football club here

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Funny but true. In a sad sort of way.

Just bought my ticket for the Arsenal game.

I am a masochist at heart.

Not a bad game to go to if you want to see football played how it should be. Just a shame it will all be from Arsenal

2 hours ago, Richard said:

No I think we are incapable of clawing back a seven point difference from those above us in order to stay up.  We may very well get another 7 points, we may not (how great is that for a club like us we are debating whether we'll get another 7 points).  But those hoping we will get the points are, IMO,  missing the point that it depends upon other teams (three of them) going into such a run that making that 7 points gap means something,  that they actually stand still and wait for us

We need to get more than seven points than the three teams above us get. They wouldn't be down this end of the table if they were world beaters at getting points. We just have to hope for an upturn in our form, and may not even necessarily need a downturn in theirs. The hope is for a click. Like Leicester got towards the end of last season. You can't legislate for a click like that in football. And I don't know how likely it is, but I'd rather us be so unclicked now, than to be in a relative click for most of the season and then end the season with 5 points from the last 14 games, dropping like a stone with the end of the season approaching like a train. Past form is not necessarily an indication of future points getting in football. Whether that be from the point of view of us being clear of Arsenal by a bunch of points when John Carew knocked that in with his shin against Stoke and the ensuing run of disastrous results, or the day Ugo Ehiogu broke his eye socket and our title challenge began to end, or like Leicester last year, or Fulham's great escape. Even if we clawed back the seven points in the next seven games, it wouldn't even be considered a great escape really. 

It's a funny old game. I think we were in a much worse position after the Hull City game last season than we are now. 

• Like 2

Breel embolo 

Or something more sensible like. 

Michael Keane 

Cashley Cole 

a proper consistent DM 

and Austin or some other shit hot striker. 

Edited by thabucks
Spelling

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Out of curiosity, what would people like to do with the money if Randy sanctioned 20 million in the January transfer window?

Most people will say attacker.

Centreback and a left back, for me.

I have a feeling going forward won't be a problem once players continue to settle

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Breel embolo 

Or something more sensible like. 

Michael Keane 

Cashley Cole 

a proper consistent DM 

and Austin or some other shit hot striker. 

Forgot about Ashley Cole, actually a good shout! Doesn't seem like he has been doing too well at Roma, but ticks all the boxes in terms of experience and pedigree.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

For us to stay up it's entering manager of the season territory for Garde to pull this off. A massive ask. He will be a broken man even before we start next season in the championship. I Feel sorry for the guy to a certain extent. I  wonder if he wished he kept his powder dry for another season? 

He knew what he was signing up for. 

Â