Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

On Saturday eve I was sure we were down. I was looking at grounds for next year, and found out how many games newcastle were on tv when they went down (15) to start mental preparation.

Today though I'm starting to believe maybe we can do it- I mean 7 points sounds a lot but it is possible with a good run in that series of fixtures around xmas.....

5 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

On Saturday eve I was sure we were down. I was looking at grounds for next year, and found out how many games newcastle were on tv when they went down (15) to start mental preparation.

Today though I'm starting to believe maybe we can do it- I mean 7 points sounds a lot but it is possible with a good run in that series of fixtures around xmas.....

More like 8 as we have a very goal difference as well. Mate w ecant even win one game how one arth are we going to win 3-4 like people are suggesting?? Dont expect lerner to spend in january ever he wont want to waste more of his money knowing that we are down. The idiot should have given a extra 20m to get a solid striker and a great right back. Instead we end up with a  loanee who hanst played and a unknown in Crespo who again has hardly featured

Just think guys, if Walsall, Coventry and Burton all got promoted, there would be 7 midlands team in the Championship next season. If we do go down, that's 14 local derbies out of 46 games. One every three point something games. If the dreaded thought did happen, at least there would be some interesting fixtures waiting ahead.

Also, we all have to remember that Villa would be the only club playing in that league with a handicap. +6 points courtesy of SHA :D

7 points the difference?  We have 5 points from 14 games and people expect us to make up a 7 point gap just to get out of the bottom three.  I'll remind you that would require those above us to do worse than us in the games we are getting those 7 points as well.  Not a chance in hell

To stand any chance of getting out if this mess, and to make up the points, just to get out of the bottom 3, means we have to go on a phenomenal run of results.

Rememeber, we are a club who have not won 3 or even 2 in a row for years.

YEARS! and with better teams than we have now.

Accept and embrace it, we are playing championship football next season....it'll make easier in the long run.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

people expect us to make up a 7 point gap just to get out of the bottom three.

No. Nobody EXPECTS that.

All anybody has said is that it's possible, whilst almost always caveating that with something like "but very unlikely".

35 - 36 points is still the number imo

us being 7 points behind at this point is irrelevant if we want to stay in the division we have to at least hit that mark to stand a chance

I'm not saying we will stay up i don't think we have a chance in hell but while it's still mathematically possible and there are still points to play for we technically have a chance

I wouldn't bet on it though

I was in the "still remained hopeful" category a few weeks ago, but that hope has now totally been knocked out of me after the last couple of results. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact we are down. This team echos the 86/87 team in that we had young hopefuls then who turned out to be duds.

We made a big mistake in the summer by not buying a couple of decent centre backs. Richards was always a massive gamble, and Clark has reverted to type after a half decent season last year. With Hutton and Richardson either side of them and Guzan behind them, that defence reeks of disaster. We don't stand a hope of surviving with so many mistakes and goals being gifted to the opposition. Yes mistakes happen, but not to the level we are experiencing. I think Garde is going to struggle to organise these clowns into any kind of cohesive unit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

You can though, by buying in players who aren't shite. (in hindsight) Thinking that Richardson, Hutton, Bacuna, Clark were all viable options to play in defence was madness. The reason we'll go down is that we needed to have a net spend last summer of £50m due to the penny pinching of previous years. Instead our net spend was relatively low compared to the vast TV money that's on the way for premier league teams next season.

So if we'd have spent twice as much on the same players we'd stay up then? Sherwood bombed out players last season only to think they'd became better over the summer! Letting Cissokho go and keeping Richardson and not getting a new RB or a keeper are the main reasons for me we are where we are. The new players are the better ones but the whole squad seems unfit. I think we will turn the corner but we may be too far back to get out of this. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

7 points the difference?  We have 5 points from 14 games and people expect us to make up a 7 point gap just to get out of the bottom three.  I'll remind you that would require those above us to do worse than us in the games we are getting those 7 points as well.  Not a chance in hell

Leicester made up a 7 point gap with less than 10 games to go. We have 24 games to do it. All it literally takes is 2 good weeks for us and 2 sets of bad results for our rivals and we're right back in it. We can turn a corner at any point and go on an unprecedented run of lower midtable form and our rivals can have a poor run of fixtures. To suggest it's impossible to make up the gap is ostrich-like, shout out to Nigel Pearson.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

So if we'd have spent twice as much on the same players we'd stay up then?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. We needed to buy players like vertout, gana, ayew, gestede etc to fill out the squad after years of underspending. However we also needed to replace benteke, delph and Vlaar with proven quality players. Of course it's easy to see this in hindisght but the point is still valid. We lost the spine of our team and replaced them with players of unknown quality, had an incompotent manager who was left in the job too long and now we'll be relegated.

Edited by villa89

Who would leave? 

If we could keep hold of the summer signings bar Richards (he will go somewhere else) I think we would be doing very well.

I think the following players would leave...

Richards

Zog

Sanchez

Gil

Sinclair

Hutton

Grealish????

Keep the rest and bring in a few wide players who can cross a ball to Rudy and we will be alright. 

Its 7 to just Sunderland though, who are on a winning run. then 8 to Norwich who are picking up points, our next two games Southampton a and Arsenal h, how many pts will it be after those games.  If its double figures, forget it, lets prepare for the championship.

4 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

We are absolutely done.

The only thing I am now worried about is us having a smaller points total than Derby's legendary last stint.

hey why not we've broken every other poor record in the last few years may as well add the pinnacle to them

Fortunately, for us and Remi Garde alike, the problem is a glaring one and can be rectified with a couple of solid defensive signings.

Is relegation avoidable? Of course it is and for the present I'll believe that it won't be an issue come next May.

I will also be putting out mince pies, milk and a carrot on Xmas Eve!

1 minute ago, Richard said:

hey why not Lambert broke every other poor record in the last few years may as well add the pinnacle to them

Fixed ;)

Â