Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt question the players fighting spirit, talent definitely but I think most are giving their best but just not good enough

i think the opposite, we dont have great players but they are still better than what they are showing every saturday, think our lack of desire and fight is one of the main reasons we are where we are

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

I doubt Lerner will either.

Had Newcastle predominantly being scouting 'Moneyball' style that season also? I know Owen was playing for them and was way past it.

They signed a lot of older players on high wages...either injured or de motivated..Nolan, Alan Smith, Owen, Joey Barton Viduka and Nicky Butt were all in the 18 that went down at VP. That and a fair few foreigners in there.

Them going down co-incided with the emergence of Andy Carroll so they gave him a run and him and Nolan ripped the championship to threads as a strike partnership.

24 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

3 wins doesn't sound that bad but.......are they going to come in the next 3 games? If not, we're soon likely to need more than 3 wins.

Yes, obviously,  but the fact is, the gap between us and 17th place still isn't that far. Yes, if we lose and lose, it will increase. But I still think we can dig out.

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It's not just fancy foreign players fans get blinded by, it's the same with coaches. 

Allardyce is busy steering Sunderland out of the relegation zone but there was a significant group of fans on here who thought he was not good enough for the likes of us.   

Are yes the arrogance of us Villa fans who are now having a serious realty check.

2 hours ago, dakid007 said:

Does anyone think we should go 3 at the back?

Guzan

Richards Lescott Clark

Bacuna Gana Sanchez Veretout Richardson

Gestede Ayew

No.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I believe in Santa more than i do us staying up this season

I'm asking Santa for a nice new shiny set of defenders and 40 points. I've been really good this year so I hope he gets my letter 

Definitely not.  I think throwing another central defender at it is going to make a difference, these are individual mistakes that are happening so throwing another defender, especially Lescott is not going to make a difference.  

I think having Sanchez infront of the back four is sufficient and then we need to cut out the mistakes until January and hopefully get a defender in then to shore up that defence.

I'm not sure that Gestede and Ayew are a good complimentary partnership either, so either use Grealish and Gil with Ayew or create width for Gestede with Adama and another on the wings

Edited by nick76

We are scoring goals but just so easy to score against. Honestly he needs to dump clark, hutton and richardson. I would bring senderos back (yes we are that desperate) but he cannot do any worse than lescott or clark, until okore is fit.

i would then bring in kinsella/n zogbia at left back and bacuna at rb see how we get on with that.

time to try rudy and ayew up top now as well

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It's not just fancy foreign players fans get blinded by, it's the same with coaches. 

Allardyce is busy steering Sunderland out of the relegation zone but there was a significant group of fans on here who thought he was not good enough for the likes of us.   

......and there lies another problem( but it doesn't affect the team, its just us) many of us have delusions of grandeur when it comes to fancying new players.

The durable types are not really what present day fans want, they appear to want the show ponies.

Our players are so diminuitive it makes me cringe watching them.....How we have allowed this to happen god only knows

blimey, even our Goal keepers are small Guzan @ 6' 2" Steer & Bunn @ 6'.......Clark is quite small for a Centre Half

I'm not saying stature/size is the answer to everything, but unless you have exceptional skills, you have one hell of a mountain to climb.

even the academy seem to breed small players.

Edited by TRO

You can't legislate for bad defending or decision making. We look so fragile at the back its unreal. Confidence is low and unless we get a miracle we are down. If we had a team playing with a bit of belief we'd be fine but we don't and I can't see us getting any as the only way to do that is by going on a run without defeats. I thought we needed 8 more points by New Year that hasn't changed but it's just got a lot harder. 

This is the board that hired McLeish they aren't going to be concerned that a "group of fans" didn't want Allardyce. I'm still not convinced we survive under any other manager either to be honest, the damage has been done, mentally too judging by some of the players. Mistakes all over the place even organisation wouldn't do much. You look at the back line and it's all experienced from the goalkeeper to the left back, they just aren't good enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

You can't legislate for bad defending or decision making.

You can though, by buying in players who aren't shite. (in hindsight) Thinking that Richardson, Hutton, Bacuna, Clark were all viable options to play in defence was madness. The reason we'll go down is that we needed to have a net spend last summer of £50m due to the penny pinching of previous years. Instead our net spend was relatively low compared to the vast TV money that's on the way for premier league teams next season.

Net spend is only one element of the problem, its contributory of course it is,but....

We have simply bought too many players (for too long) that are not suited to winning football matches.

The blend in the team is laughable.....The recruitment at this club is very questionable....... The academy is overrated, the clamour for a bit of positivity that everyone craves has clouded folks judgment staff and fans.....This team is not built to win football matches, its a patchwork quilt full of poor buys and inadequate players.

most of them have come to us to sustain their lifestyles not improve their playing career.

We are desperate to go back to basics and create a pragmatic approach to rebuilding the team with players with Character, drive, will to win, heart all the values of players we revered over the years.....We are not Manchester Utd and when signing players we need to stop thinking we are.....Stoke, Southampton, Everton are the teams we should be looking to emulate in terms of RIGHT PLAYERS.....They are the models we should be looking at.

Edited by TRO

Haha. Some people suggesting we only need 3 wins to get out of trouble. There are so many things wrong with that it's ridiculous.

1, If we won the next 3 games then the teams above us may have picked up points as well, meaning we would still be in the drop zone. 

2, We aren't capable of winning ONE game never mind 3.

3, We haven't won 3 in a row since MON left.

4, We are the worst team in the league by some distance and there is no doubt about it, we are going down.

Thanks Randy.

Edited by One For The Road

Actually 3 at the back could work as Saturday the errors mainly came from the fullbacks so we 3-5-2 you could at a CB for defensive cover and play more attacking wing backs , at the least the full backs would have extra cover

The problem then is you lose a midfielder or attacker.I could argue at least on the right playing Bacuna would still give us enough attacking threat to sacrifice say Sinclair.Left is still an issue as Richardson is poor at defending and attacking.

As for Big Sam certainly he has done well to get 2 wins ( with some degree of luck in both ) but 2 weeks ago we were drawing with city whilst Sunderland were getting smashed 6-2 no one was saying he was the better option then ...

Â