Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

1 minute ago, dakid007 said:

Does anyone think we should go 3 at the back?

Guzan

Richards Lescott Clark

Bacuna Gana Sanchez Veretout Richardson

Gestede Ayew

It really doesn't matter. Plus any team with Lescott in it is destined to fail

1 minute ago, dakid007 said:  

Does anyone think we should go 3 at the back?

Guzan

Richards Lescott Clark

Bacuna Gana Sanchez Veretout Richardson

Gestede Ayew

It really doesn't matter. Plus any team with Lescott in it is destined to fail

Lol

Hind sight is a wonderful thing.  On paper we have improved the squad more broadly, the problem being we needed 10-12 players and the quality we needed would've cost £10m-£15m each, this was never going to happen. On paper they made a sensible decision on what they did.

Again, the only way you replace Benteke is with another £30m striker, and frankly whilst not hitting the heights yet for Liverpool, Benteke is a £40m+ striker so that was always going to be impossible.  The snake was also a £20m player, Vlaar was one of the stars of the World Cup, and Cleverly is a decent asset too.

Sadly, the only lesson is chronic underinvestment for the past 5 years. If we go down and don't bounce right back, file us under Nottingham Forest, Leeds Utd, Blackburn, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Utd, and don't forget Wigan, Derby, Bradford, Coventry, Charlton, Bolton, Ipswich, Fulham, Portsmouth, Middlesborough etc who all have had their day and will struggle to get back. There is no right to PL existence. Randy is about to find out that his under investment to stay in the PL is a lot more expensive than the investment needed to ever get [back] into it.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Paul, I think its gone past that., thinking about points and forecasts.

This needs a rebuild....They simply haven't the character for it.....and they don't look like they believe in each other.

The worry for me there ar certin things that look ok at.....Their passing is ok when no one is near them, when an opposition player get close, they look like they have never played the game.

Yes I agree Tro

Net spend aside, has anyone ever spent £50 million in the summer and then gotten relegated before? 

We really should have put more of that money into the centre of the defence. A 33 year old Joleon Lescott really wasn't the answer to any question was he

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Villachris with all due respect I'm not sure our squad is better than Norwich, agreed there's probably not much between us mind. 

Most of the Norwich squad is what got relegated in 13/14...Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Tetty, etc.

Edit: O.k It's not 8 points better than ours.

Edited by VillaChris

Best we can do is Ayew and Gestede upfront. Gil behind them. Don't play Gil or Ayew wide. Let them link up. Let Gil link the midfield and attackers and let him do his thing. Too many times he got the ball with noone around. Was frustrating. We don't need width as we don't have a player who can cross consistently. Gestede can cause problems just by flicks or his presence which would free up Ayew. Just like Gil he was far too isolated. I'd persist with the midfield three as I think they will improve. Our back four needs to be Crespo Okore Richards Bacuna.

Traore I would imagine isn't fit enough to play 90 min so he can come on for Gil and switch Ayew to the link up role. I'd love to see Adama as an out and out striker. Relieve him from defensive responsibilities and just run behind defenders. Seems to have a nice finish. Once illori is fit could always play with Okore and Richards at rb

Still think we'll beat relegation. History is history -- nothing more or less. It's not strictly determinative.

This isn't a "hunch" or optimism. I think Garde will be able to build upon the important successes he has helped cultivate.

Three wins, and we're out of the hole. Not saying it's going to be easy, but I think we'll regain our bearings and find a way out, whilst I see other clubs faltering. 

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's not about relegation anymore. It's about how we go down. Will we show some fight and some organisation or will we continue on our current path and end up with record low points total. The club is a mess from top to bottom and its the team on the pitch that need to start the correction because Lerner et Al haven't a clue what they are doing.

I agree - the Newcastle team that went down at Villa Park a few seasons ago had zero fight and played like strangers. I hope we don't end up in that farcical state.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Still think we'll beat relegation. History is history -- nothing more or less. It's not strictly determinative.

This isn't a "hunch" or optimism. I think Garde will be able to build upon the important successes he has helped cultivate.

Three wins, and we're out of the hole. Not saying it's going to be easy, but I think we'll regain our bearings and find a way out, whilst I see other clubs faltering. 

3 wins doesn't sound that bad but.......are they going to come in the next 3 games? If not, we're soon likely to need more than 3 wins.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree - the Newcastle team that went down at Villa Park a few seasons ago had zero fight and played like strangers. I hope we don't end up in that farcical state.

Irony is most of that team then went on to walk the championship. Newcastle didn't sign a huge amount that summer.

• Like 1

Just now, dounavilla said:

We are already in that state.

Yes we are, but we do have a games in which to possibly begin playing with more confidence/spirit. That possibility is dependent on Remi having the correct ideas and the players buying into them.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Irony is most of that team then went on to walk the championship. Newcastle didn't sign a huge amount that summer.

I doubt Lerner will either.

Had Newcastle predominantly being scouting 'Moneyball' style that season also? I know Owen was playing for them and was way past it.

Our last chance will be over xmas/New year.

We play Newcastle....West Ham....Norwich and Sunderland over 14 days,

We're going to need 7/8 points as a minimum...if we lose to any of the other relegation threatened three the gap will simply become too big but really we need to beat two of them I think,,,,probably Norwich and Newcastle.

That's how you reel teams in and things can change very quickly over xmas with so many games packed in, the table wouldn't look so bad then with some other decent fixtures coming up soon after.

Can't see the team being up to it though.

Â