Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

How many points will we get from our next two games? Its got to the stage where we need to win one of those and I can't see us doing that.

Paul, I think its gone past that., thinking about points and forecasts.

This needs a rebuild....They simply haven't the character for it.....and they don't look like they believe in each other.

The worry for me there ar certin things that look ok at.....Their passing is ok when no one is near them, when an opposition player get close, they look like they have never played the game.

Edited by TRO

It's not about relegation anymore. It's about how we go down. Will we show some fight and some organisation or will we continue on our current path and end up with record low points total. The club is a mess from top to bottom and its the team on the pitch that need to start the correction because Lerner et Al haven't a clue what they are doing.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Playing devils advocate here, how did that run of form under Lambert last season compare to our start this?

7 points is, ugh, it's starting to look impossible. But, how unprecedented would this be?

Not exclusively a Lambert run but we had a spell from 13 December until 21 Feb last season where we took 3 points from 12 games and fell from 12th (19 points from 15 games) to 19th (22 from 27).

I suppose the differences with this season are: we already had 19 points in the bank before the slump began, and we had Benteke returning from injury to get us some goals and points at the end of the season.

Even getting to last season's lowest point of 22 points from 27 looks a bit daunting for this squad. Would require 17 points from the next 13 games. Not impossible but a massive uplift in form given our results so far this season. And then we would almost certainly need to step up several more levels to get enough points to survive.

If we could get a result against Southampton. I think we would still have a chance. Im not sure how much pressure we would have againsy Newcastle. Anything from Arsenal would be a bonus. We need to show fight even if we are relegating. Our performance against Watford wasnt bad. The problem was clearly these silly mistakes and confidence.

I still think theres a slightly chance. Atleast to be 4 points to safety come to January.

Last season we were 18th after Hull. And lost 2 games after that.

Im still keeping belief. Although I know it needs a miracle and huge turnaround. But thats what we have.

Just looking at the spirit Norwich are playing with against Arsenal, they have been good value for the draw and shown good attacking intent throughout the game. Their squad is not better than ours.

Yet in two weeks time we're barely cross the halfway line against Arsenal and try to hang onto a 0-0 draw for dear life. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Does anyone else agree that it was a bad idea to sell our three best players and replace them with a load of players noones ever heard of who can't speak English? 

Qué? Quoi?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Does anyone else agree that it was a bad idea to sell our three best players and replace them with a load of players noones ever heard of who can't speak English? 

Yep. Eventually people are just going to have to accept that we had an awful window which has relegated us

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

Yep. Eventually people are just going to have to accept that we had an awful window which has relegated us

And so many fans thought it was the best thing ever. It just shows how a few foreign names can  distort views.

There was uproar on here when we were linked to Vardy, but people creamed themselves over players who various, now seemingly clueless, journalists rated. I'm sure someone even said Weimann is better than Vardy :-/ 

It seems like everyone at the club is clueless; including us fans. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

And so many fans thought it was the best thing ever. It just shows how a few foreign names can  distort views.

There was uproar on here when we were linked to Vardy, but people creamed themselves over players who various, now seemingly clueless, journalists rated. I'm sure someone even said Weimann is better than Vardy :-/ 

tbf not many people would have seen Vardy playing like he is coming.  I certainly didn't. However people got far to carried away thinking we could get mid table by signing a bunch of relatively unknown players without any prem experience

• Like 1

It's not just fancy foreign players fans get blinded by, it's the same with coaches. 

Allardyce is busy steering Sunderland out of the relegation zone but there was a significant group of fans on here who thought he was not good enough for the likes of us.   

• Like 1

its the same as newcastle, they keep signing these unknown foreign players season after season but they are shite. we got lucky with benteke but not many shine like he did. i remember back in the 90s when we signed sasa curcic who at the time was class for bolton and was one of my favourite players in the prem, he comes to villa and he was shit. in january we need some experience and players with some steel who know how to fight themselves out of a relegation battle. no good bringing in anymore clueless foreign shite who have never played in the prem.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

41 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

If Tim Sherwood had signed who he wanted we'd have a team of Cambiasso, Huddlestone (maybe), Andros Townsend, Aaron Lennon and yes maybe Vardy. Add to that Gestede and Lescott who were Sherwood signings which has been interestingly ignored by the press.

How much higher would we really be up the table with that mob playing for us? And our wage bill would be looking bad again which happens when you buy British.

Our big problem in the transfer window was not replacing Benteke properly. No plan B after Adebayor's u turn and seemingly thinking Gestede was good enough to be lead striker.

We've seen before Villa teams with good strikers can mask problems in other areas.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

in january we need some experience and players with some steel who know how to fight themselves out of a relegation battle. no good bringing in anymore clueless foreign shite who have never played in the prem.

Couple of things here - firstly, no one half decent will come to us in January and secondly, we need see if we are still cut adrift by then (probably) and think about players suited to a championship campaign 

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

Couple of things here - firstly, no one half decent will come to us in January and secondly, we need see if we are still cut adrift by then (probably) and think about players suited to a championship campaign 

by january i dont think we will be definitely down and we dont need good players, we just need players who can fight and get a job done. surely we can stiil attract the kind of players we need to try and keep us up. will admit though its a terrible time to buy players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just looking at the spirit Norwich are playing with against Arsenal, they have been good value for the draw and shown good attacking intent throughout the game. Their squad is not better than ours.

Yet in two weeks time we're barely cross the halfway line against Arsenal and try to hang onto a 0-0 draw for dear life. 

Villachris with all due respect I'm not sure our squad is better than Norwich, agreed there's probably not much between us mind. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, I was as guilty as the rest. Got carried away with some positive French journalists and YouTube. But to be fair to fans, its not our job to watch, analayse and sign players. We aren't paid large amount of money to make sure we got it right. 

And after years of signing the likes of Bennett, lowton and Bowery its no surprise we let ourselves get a little carried away.

We also had to sell Benteke and Delph, contractually, so there was no option to not sell them. When it comes to their replacements, I would like to know from Delphinho what the other options were that would have got a different result. Suggesting people are blinded by a fancy name is also stupid. I'm sure many would have been happy to get Dele Ali in instead of one of the other central midfielders but he chose a better side and let's not forget the premium wages he would have demanded. We might have got in 3 premier league hasbeens on the wages we could offer, but then we wouldn't have had a squad at all.

I still think results will pick up, we'll have the form of a 12-15th side but it will be too little too late.

• Like 1

Â