Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I think some people are forgetting that we are bottom of the league for a number of reasons. One of those being that we have really really shit players. 

We have 5 points from 13 games - 5 points from safety already... We are done this season, I'm sorry to say it. relegation was going to get us sooner or later. 

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think some people are forgetting that we are bottom of the league for a number of reasons. One of those being that we have really really shit players

We have 5 points from 13 games - 5 points from safety already... We are done this season, I'm sorry to say it. relegation was going to get us sooner or later. 

See, I don't buy this at all. The players aren't great by any stretch and certainly nowhere near top 8 or anything but they're better than this. I'm not blaming it all on Sherwood but I do think people are underestimating just how damaging his "management" this season has been.

• Like 4

^exactly.

Organization makes a huge difference on the football field. We are in a huge hole, but now that we have a competent manager, I think we have a chance. Our squad is easily a match for some of the other dross in the lower half of the league.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I have no doubt that these academy kids are easy on the eye.

we need them to develop physically so they cope with the rigours of the league.

for too long we we have seen a few little neat touches and we are sold on them.

the league is like a jungle where only the physically prepared will survive.

i only see players emerge who are light in stature and their ability soon gets negated by players who are much stronger and physically equipped.

we have to reappraise what we are trying to produce from the academy.

as the old saying goes "a good big in will beat a good little in"

i guess Barcelona are the exception.

Sorry, but it's this exact thinking that makes the PL so overrated and the national side such a bag of shite. Barcelona reserves would walk our league with ten games to spare. Meanwhile we have Gabby and Gestede. 

Every WC early-exit embarrassment we say our coaching is prehistoric, then nothing changes.

Watford is important.  Every match is now, but Watford being not exactly Big Sky and the timing after the Everton mess make Watford even bigger.   When Remi came I was hoping for 4 points from the first three matches.  Pretty rediculous to have hoped for more.  So a win and we're right on track.  A draw and we're still better than I expected from Sherwood. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

See, I don't buy this at all. The players aren't great by any stretch and certainly nowhere near top 8 or anything but they're better than this. I'm not blaming it all on Sherwood but I do think people are underestimating just how damaging his "management" this season has been.

i dont agree we have been shit for about 4 seasons, its not Sherwood or Garde fault we are left with crap. some of our players arent championship quality, the fact we are still playing Gabby, westwood, guzan, clark indicates we have a crap squad

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shaw_nuff said:

Sorry, but it's this exact thinking that makes the PL so overrated and the national side such a bag of shite. Barcelona reserves would walk our league with ten games to spare. Meanwhile we have Gabby and Gestede. 

Every WC early-exit embarrassment we say our coaching is prehistoric, then nothing changes.

Have you seen the stick that Neymar, Messi and Suarez take during a game.

They are physically equipped despite their diminutive stature.....and still keep coming back for more.

I understand your point and by making my point about physical presence I am not being disrespectful to the importance of technical ability either.

For years the continental teams were all about technique and no physical strength.....They have now added that to their game, thats why they are more complete.

at International level, we are doing it the other way around.

The Premier league is not the best in the world, its the most demanding/Hardest in the world, there is a difference.

For years and years of watching Villa this is one one of the most lightweight squads I have ever seen.....Not the worst, the most lightweight ( and that is referring to their work as opposed to just sheer physical stature)

PS You can be small and diminutive and not lightweight......Billy Bremner & Johhny Giles were testament to that......Eamonn Deacy was only a bag of bones.

13 hours ago, Shaw_nuff said:

Id kind of agree with this but Barcelona reserves got relegated from the Spanish 2nd Division, and their best player cant even force his way onto our bench......... so id say that theyd win the premier league with 10 points to spare is a little OTT :)

21 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Everytime I look at our squad list it really does boggle the mind mind how shit it really is. Barely a single player would get into another PL starting XI.

You are basing your judgment on how they are playing at present.....and I am not saying your wrong by the way.

We are all living in hope that they can individually improve and then subsequently contribute that to improving the TEAM performance.

"We all live in hope" is all that we can hang on to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

i dont agree we have been shit for about 4 seasons, its not Sherwood or Garde fault we are left with crap. some of our players arent championship quality, the fact we are still playing Gabby, westwood, guzan, clark indicates we have a crap squad

On the money

I think we are down.  Hope im wrong.

I agree the squad is hugely underperforming, but for us to get to say 35 points this season is going to take a monumental change in form and fortunes and I don't think that this squad are upto it............. its tantamount to say 8 wins and 6 draws from 25 games - or points gained from 50% of our fixtures with the majority of them being maximum points. 

Can we do it? Yes !

Will we do it?  No !

Im afraid to say its curtains IMO.  I think we can and will improve over the second half of the season, but I don't think weve got the strength of character in the team, the ability or the toughness to be able to perform to those levels.  FWIW I think well beat Watford Saturday, if only down to law of averages and we are going to pick a result up somewhere, but will the other results follow? Nah

I'm also in the we are down camp for the same reason as others have said , we simply aren't good enough   ... but we aren't cut adrift yet  and a bit like previous seasons we may survive simply because there are 3 teams worse than us  ..I'm looking at you , Bournemouth ,Norwich and Sunderland ..with a hint of Newcastle .

We have to stay in touch until Jan .. and then decide if we are prepared to buy our way out of trouble or resign ourselves to our fate and rebuild the club in the championship and come back stronger (if we can come back) ...

it's too early to say if Remi is the saviour of the club but maybe we should stick with the plan even if it takes a few years rather than changing a manager again ...of course you could argue we tried that with Lambert and kept him too long , but Remi looks like he can change the whole structure of the playing side of the club, whereas Lambert never did

• Like 2

I think Managers ( Managers who are allowed to manage and buy their own players within reason) are the catalyst to every successful Football club.

You can talk about many other things, but they are the ones that make it happen.....not many Great Owners and poor managers make a club successful

You can reel them out :

Saunders

Clough

Ferguson

Mourinho

Wenger

Kendall

Robson

Stein

Busby

Revie

Greenwood

And the list goes on, but the one thing they need to go alongside their undoubted talent and workable funds is TIME

All these guys needed time to get their philosophies over to the players and the ones they couldn't, were replaced by ones they could.

I do not blame Tim Sherwood in the same vein as some fans do on here and I am not equally saying he would have been the answer either to the long term....but and its a big but for the task that is required at our football club, he never had enough time ( I am not saying that i would have kept him on either as the circumstances dictated).

I do not know whether Remi is the right man and I do believe even if he is, he hasn't enough time to fix it under the circumstances.....its like  trying to repair a hole in a boat on the high seas in the middle of a storm.

Right now Remi must have webbed feet putting out all the fires.

If we do go down and I can't see anything else, I think we will come straight back 1/2 seasons because we need to strip the whole thing back to basics. I do believe Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde know what was/is wrong.....but there have been too many years of demise before them to fix this as quick as we would want.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I'm just hoping that one win will be like some hollywood film revelation and our team of plucky disabled kids will blossom in confidence and throw off their calipers and compete with the others.

But for the very first time ever, I think this really is it. I actually looked at the Championship table on the weekend to see what ground were near me for some trips out.

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

there are 3 teams worse than us 

Are there? I'm not at all sure about that. Mind you I've felt for most of the past few years that we're doomed to go down, and I've been wrong each time, so what do I know?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm also in the we are down camp for the same reason as others have said , we simply aren't good enough   ... but we aren't cut adrift yet  and a bit like previous seasons we may survive simply because there are 3 teams worse than us  ..I'm looking at you , Bournemouth ,Norwich and Sunderland ..with a hint of Newcastle .

We have to stay in touch until Jan .. and then decide if we are prepared to buy our way out of trouble or resign ourselves to our fate and rebuild the club in the championship and come back stronger (if we can come back) ...

it's too early to say if Remi is the saviour of the club but maybe we should stick with the plan even if it takes a few years rather than changing a manager again ...of course you could argue we tried that with Lambert and kept him too long , but Remi looks like he can change the whole structure of the playing side of the club, whereas Lambert never did

Some manager needs to be given that mandate, rather than constantly patching things up.....Rebuild the whole philosophy and stick to it.

Changing managers is not the answer, its years of mismanagement thats got us here.

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

Are there? I'm not at all sure about that. Mind you I've felt for most of the past few years that we're doomed to go down, and I've been wrong each time, so what do I know?

In the other 3 years I never believed we'd go down, I just felt we'd scrape over the line.

This season feels different, I just can't see us climbing to safety :(

Â