Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

On the balance of things we probably do deserve to go down.  But that's not how it works.

If we stay up then it's very much this to the rest of the league.

hpq3aAF.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KSV said:

By next season.. if some of these farkers who arent trying properly for the club are sold off.

We can then buy a few new players that Remi will want.. and promote some of our youth who we seem to have 3-4 good players coming through who are likely to handle the championship. Suliman Corey Taylor Hepburn-Murphy Calder Andre Green etc. Remi can bring them through along with a few who may stay and a few new players. Just like he did at Lyon. Unfortunately at Aston Villa we may need to drop down a division to do it.

Too risky to give these kids games in the premier league. ( I would be for it as our 'senior' players are rubbish).

I have no doubt that these academy kids are easy on the eye.

we need them to develop physically so they cope with the rigours of the league.

for too long we we have seen a few little neat touches and we are sold on them.

the league is like a jungle where only the physically prepared will survive.

i only see players emerge who are light in stature and their ability soon gets negated by players who are much stronger and physically equipped.

we have to reappraise what we are trying to produce from the academy.

as the old saying goes "a good big in will beat a good little in"

i guess Barcelona are the exception.

38 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Not much but we are still here with a fighting chance of staying up. However shit we have been we are still only 5 points adrift with 20 odd games to go. I just don't understand the mindset of people who wouldn't mind to see us relegated just so they can feel better about themselves and the club personally but each to ones own. 

Take Fulham, Bolton Wigan etc for example no guarantees we would come back up and we could face mid table mediocrity in the championships for years. Or get promoted right away or even relegated to division one. No one knows but yeah I'd rather be battling relegation each season than experience it. 

Fulham, Bolton and Wigan are poor examples who really shouldn't be compared to Villa. All tinpot clubs who you would expect to see in the championship.

Yeah, we'd definitely be on Sky a lot if we went down. We'd be the biggest of big fishes down there, at least for the first season anyway.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

People if we go down the Villa exposure drops significantly, we are use to (despite being crap) being on tv  alot that wont happen. we wont even feature on MOTD

Going down is absolutely the worst thing that can happen. We will be the next Forest, Leeds

What makes you so sure? I hear the Leeds comparisons quite a lot actually but they were in a complete financial mess when they went down. Hell, it was the reason they went down. Nobody's saying we'll definitely come straight back up but I think there's a decent chance of it.

• Like 2

If we don't beat Watford, I think I'll be feeling very low about this whole thing. As things stand, I still cling to the belief that we can beat Watford and Newcastle and then go on to win another 2 games over the Christmas period - ideally the ones against Sunderland and Norwich. So we are talking 4 wins and 4 defeats (defeats against Arsenal, Southampton, West Ham and Palace) in the next 8 games. That would still only put on 17 points and still in the bottom 3 I would guess, but at least it would give us a fighting chance.

Watford is must win, so we need to find a way to get both Ayew and Gestede in the team - otherwise I just don't see us scoring a goal. Maybe Sinclair as well.

I don't envy Garde at all.

Another reason why I think we have what it takes, as far as players go, to start picking up points are the performances against Liverpool (Last season's FAC SF) and The 1st 60mins (or so) against Leicester (This season). IMHO these 2 performances were by far the best performances of TS tenure.

We played well, to our strengths and looked convincing. The Leicester game being WITHOUT Benteke, Delph, Cleverley & Vlaar.

So the excuse of losing our 4 best players doesn't wash with me. The biggest deficit we have this season is Guzans performances compared to Givens's.

I would say that during this period of these 2 seasons, Leicester are the far better team getting better results and more points on the board than Liverpool.

Here are the respective line-ups

------------------------------

v Liverpool (FA Cup SF)

Given

Bacuna Vlaar Baker Richardson

Cleverley Westwood Delph

N'Zogbia Grealish

Benteke

---------------

v Leicester

Guzan

Bacuna Richards Lescott Amavi

Sanchez

Gil Westwood Grealish Sinclair

Agbonlahor

(Before it all went wrong)

--------------------------------

If Remi can get us firing like TS did against Leicester (I'm even more convinced that TS's random team selections resulted in this "Fluke" of a set-up + "Go out and play laaaaaaads" tubthumping) we can take on lower & middle table teams and get Home & Away points.

• Like 1

I woke up today and realised that we are NOT going to get relegated. It's purely a feeling I get, and I'm virtually always right when I get these feelings.

Let's ignore history as the last manager was shit.

Looking at it in 2 ways:

1) We need more points than Bournemouth, Newcastle and Sunderland. Do we have a better squad - unknown. Do we have a better manager - unknown. IMO with a couple of new players in January we will have a whisker of a better squad. I don't think the other 3 have great managers, so there is a decent probability that we have at least as good, possibly marginally better.

2) We need 36 points and have 5. So need another 31 points from 25 games. Is this realistic from a poor squad and a new unknown manager? Possibly. Will the squad improve as the manager puts his ideas in and we get a couple of new faces? Probably.

Lots of maybes there, but on balance it's just about doable.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Not much but we are still here with a fighting chance of staying up. However shit we have been we are still only 5 points adrift with 20 odd games to go. I just don't understand the mindset of people who wouldn't mind to see us relegated just so they can feel better about themselves and the club personally but each to ones own. 

Take Fulham, Bolton Wigan etc for example no guarantees we would come back up and we could face mid table mediocrity in the championships for years. Or get promoted right away or even relegated to division one. No one knows but yeah I'd rather be battling relegation each season than experience it. 

Feel better about myself? What?

Football is about enjoyment. Following Aston villa the last 5 years has not been enjoyable, if we survive then that will then be another season that's not enjoyable. I'd like to enjoy supporting the club again, I think there's more chance of that happening in the championship next year and then once we get rid of lerner. 

I don't get why people are desperate to experience more of what we've experienced.

We might not get as much coverage or be on MOTD. Who cares? Who's desperate for coverage of a team that loses and embarrasses themselves most weeks?

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

Assuming 40 is enough for survival which is impossible to say really we need to take 35 from the next 75 points. That's almost half of them. I just don't see this squad and manager doing that.

Its been grim for aleast 5 years now but this is by far the worst its been, just feels like we are already down at the moment.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd like to enjoy supporting the club again, I think there's more chance of that happening in the championship next year and then once we get rid of lerner. 

True, but if RL can't sell the club as a PL outfit, how likely is he to be able to sell as a FL club? i.e. who says we will get rid of him? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I woke up today and realised that we are NOT going to get relegated. It's purely a feeling I get, and I'm virtually always right when I get these feelings.

Looking at it in 2 ways:

1) We need more points than Bournemouth, Newcastle and Sunderland. Do we have a better squad - unknown. Do we have a better manager - unknown. IMO with a couple of new players in January we will have a whisker of a better squad. I don't think the other 3 have great managers, so there is a decent probability that we have at least as good, possibly marginally better.

2) We need 36 points and have 5. So need another 31 points from 25 games. Is this realistic from a poor squad and a new unknown manager? Possibly. Will the squad improve as the manager puts his ideas in and we get a couple of new faces? Probably.

Massive lol to be honest as you woke up convinced we won't get relegated and then tried to prove why you have that feeling but only really succeeded in proving why it is so probable

Massive lol to be honest as you woke up convinced we won't get relegated and then tried to prove why you have that feeling but only really succeeded in proving why it is so probable

Yes massive lol. That was what I was saying. Did I not make myself clear enough? The post straight afterwards where I said that tomorrow I'll have changed my mind might be a hint.

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Looking at it in 2 ways:

36 pts would have been enough only once in the last four seasons, so we can't assume thats all we will need.

I think the only positive at the moment is that we are not out of sight yet, 5 points is not impossible though in our current form is no idea when the next win will be. If we were 10-12 points adrift I would say we are gone

We need im for positive results vs Watford, Norwich and Newcastle in run up to Christmas as we have **** up enough of these games so far this season

How can any Villa player , in the position we`re in come out and say " they wanted it more than we did " as Richards did after the Everton game ??? If fighting for your premiership existence isnt enough then we may aswell all pack up , go home and await Championship mediocrity , as our useless bunch seem to already be doing

Â