Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Sunderland have probably the easier run-in, a few teams with nothing to play for and only 4 top teams left to play

I'm guessing you're counting West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Watford, Stoke and Everton as the teams with nothing to play for?

Our run in isn't much different. But again, Man United next. This coming weekend is HUGE.

at this stage of season a lot of mid-table teams are giving up, Stoke, Watford and Palace look to have already downed tools

I agree to an extent. We also play two of those.

That we still have Newcastle and Bournemouth at home is a big plus for us as it is for them too.

We've been written off which might well play into our favour.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sunderland have probably the easier run-in, a few teams with nothing to play for and only 4 top teams left to play

They rarely win at the Stadium of Light though, they're as bad at home as we are.

Just looking at what they have left, Man. United at home on Saturday who are picking up now so draw at best imo and towards the end of the season they have Leicester and Arsenal back to back. Also got Chelsea at home who hardly ever lose at Stadium of Light.

Unless I've missed it most of their winnable games are away from home and with their slow defence it's a struggle for Sunderland to get up the pitch.

I couldn't believe Keown last night. Fair enough him saying we were dead and buried as that's the general view but then saying Sunderland had a great chance of staying up?! They're only 4 points ahead of us, it really should be just 3 so to me it's not a big enough points gap to have an extreme view like that.

It's a smaller gap than between Leicester to Arsenal and Man. City and those two could still easily win the league.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They rarely win at the Stadium of Light though, they're as bad at home as we are.

Just looking at what they have left, Man. United at home on Saturday who are picking up now so draw at best imo and towards the end of the season they have Leicester and Arsenal back to back. Also got Chelsea at home who hardly ever lose at Stadium of Light.

Unless I've missed it most of their winnable games are away from home and with their slow defence it's a struggle for Sunderland to get up the pitch.

I couldn't believe Keown last night. Fair enough him saying we were dead and buried as that's the general view but then saying Sunderland had a great chance of staying up?! They're only 4 points ahead of us, it really should be just 3 so to me it's not a big enough points gap to have an extreme view like that.

It's a smaller gap than between Leicester to Arsenal and Man. City and those two could still easily win the league.

Yeah but Sunderland arent at safety. They are 4 behind..  Us being 4 behind them is a bit of a stretch so I can see why he's saying that 

Maybe but if they lose their next two to Man. United and West Ham away (sure the 'ammers would like to send Big Sam on his way) and we get 4 points from Liverpool and Stoke which is possible if not likely then what does Keown say then?

Even if it's a 1 point difference in two weeks time he can't say with a straight face we're just playing for pride and Sunderland are staying up. I like Keown as a pundit FWIW anyway.

To me you say that about us or Bournemouth or us and West Brom as you're talking 12-13 point gaps there.

Edited by VillaChris

We just need one week where we win and the other teams around us all lose - not impossible. If/when that happens, we are right back in it. Our problem will be if we have a week where we lost and the other teams around us all win - we are at the stage where we can't be falling further behind. To be fair though, the gap is 8 points now, but a few weeks ago it was 11-12 points.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Only need 1 more goal to be past Derby for the fewest goals scored in a season.

Should be doable #winning

How many points are we ahead of Derby from their low points tally now, just shows you how bad they were and how a few on here were getting a little ahead of themselves declaring we were going to be the worst ever prem team. I presume we've beaten one of Sunderland's seasons aswell now.

we are far from being in competition for staying up, but we aren't gone either, quite a big task at hand. We really need some players to step up and play like they never have before..

Kinda hoping for Gabby to get a goal or two against Liverpool, should give him a good boost in confidence, we really need him to start firing. Him, Ayew and Kozak should be able to scratch together a couple of goals..

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

I am less convinced than before that we will finish bottom.  My belief that we will be relegated is still strong

I think this is where many of us probably are. That's a big step IMO given how shit we've been.

38 minutes ago, Richard said:

I am less convinced than before that we will finish bottom.  My belief that we will be relegated is still strong

That's a fair position.  Game by game now - dragging back a point each week on 17th is progress enough,  But we won't be playing Norwich every week.  

We need to pull off a couple of the unexpected wins that every other team has managed now.

17 minutes ago, rubberman said:

That's a fair position.  Game by game now - dragging back a point each week on 17th is progress enough,  But we won't be playing Norwich every week.  

We need to pull off a couple of the unexpected wins that every other team has managed now.

to  be brutally frank,  every win is unexpected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

How many points are we ahead of Derby from their low points tally now, just shows you how bad they were and how a few on here were getting a little ahead of themselves declaring we were going to be the worst ever prem team. I presume we've beaten one of Sunderland's seasons aswell now.

5 worst & Us:

Derby 07/08 - 11 points

Sunderland 05/06 - 15 points

Aston Villa 15/16 - 16 points

Portsmouth 09/10 - 19 points

Watford 99/00 - 24 points

QPR 12/13 - 25 points

Still need three wins and a draw to escape future 'five worst' lists. 

Sorry if this had already been discussed but who do you think we are likely to keep when/if we go down? If we could keep Amavi, Okore, Veretout, Gana, Clark, Grealish, Traore and Ayew we'd surely have the making of a decent team in the Championship. Some of our new signings might look for an easy get out but how many would stay and prove their worth in England?

If Remi stays and can convince them of the bigger picture, and crucially if the board back Remi in the transfer window then who knows, we could have a decent chance next season. 

Edited by It's Your Round

Â