Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I remember reading Sherwood's comments on the OS the day after the Notts County cup game. He said that he wouldn't want to be playing a team that consisted of Traore, Gil, Grealish and Veretout in a league game because it left us too open in that cup game.

Could you imagine Wenger saying the same about Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey and Cazorla? Or, Mourinho about Willian, Hazard, Oscar and Ramires? 

I think that he needs to be ballsy and play to our strengths, which isn't being defensive. 

It left us open against Notts County because he went for a naively stupid line up with only one recognised central-midfielder. I don't see why those players couldn't work together in a 4-2-3-1 or something. Not against all opponents but some home games at least.

• Like 1

It left us open against Notts County because he went for a naively stupid line up with only one recognised central-midfielder. I don't see why those players couldn't work together in a 4-2-3-1 or something. Not against all opponents but some home games at least.

That game was hilarious, he played Gil, Traore, Grealish, Sinclair and Ayew, left Veretout completely on his own, then even better he decided to play Sanchez and Baker as CB's.

I remember reading Sherwood's comments on the OS the day after the Notts County cup game. He said that he wouldn't want to be playing a team that consisted of Traore, Gil, Grealish and Veretout in a league game because it left us too open in that cup game.

Could you imagine Wenger saying the same about Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey and Cazorla? Or, Mourinho about Willian, Hazard, Oscar and Ramires? 

I think that he needs to be ballsy and play to our strengths, which isn't being defensive. 

You are not comparing apples with apples here.

Sanchez is an athletic beast and offers a huge amount in terms of press as well as attacking play. Ramsey is a true all rounder, Cazorla works very hard and has a lot of experience at the very highest level which means he has the discipline and tactical awareness to make his "deeper" role work. Ozil granted is a luxury player. But to compare Traore (very inexperienced and raw), Grealish (inexperienced not the greatest contributor defensively) Gil (energetic, willing but ultimaltely miniature) to those 4 Arsenal players is very unfair.

Equally Willian, Hazard, Oscar and Ramiers are all incredibly athletic players with years of experience at playing at a very high level.

FWIW I dont think he wouldnt play those four together just that if he did he would want a Gana, Sanchez or Westwood in there with them rather than Sinclair as he did that day. If we ever play that same formation in the Premier League it will be a very heavy defeat. I know he wants to try every formation/selection once to find the right one but hopefully that will take a while to come back round.

Last year I accepted relegation when we lost to Hull. Then lambert was sacked and in my mind it was a 50-50 chance that we would stay up. We did, just about. 

Now I think we will go down this season as I think sherwood will have done too much damage by the time he is finally sacked. The only chance is that he is so bad he could get sacked soon and leave time for a good manager to clean up the mess. 

• Like 1

Now I think we will go down this season as I think sherwood will have done too much damage by the time he is finally sacked. The only chance is that he is so bad he could get sacked soon and leave time for a good manager to clean up the mess. 

I reckon it's a dire situation if we gain no points by the City/Everton Game. 

Either we need some points and marked improvement  to avoid being rooted to 20th or we get rid fast. 

Newcastle-Sunderland play each other in two weeks so if we get nothing in Chelsea and Swansea games which looks pretty likely then the winner of that match will go above us. Indeed Newcastle could well get something at home to Norwich and Sunderland can get new manager bounce so we could very easily be bottom in two weeks.

If Sherwood dosen't get sacked when that happens then we don't care about our premier league status.

Villaglint I am not saying that our four are equal to Arsenal's or Chelsea's. They are in no way comparable. I'm saying that we should play them because they are as important to our team as the other four's are to their teams. 

Also, it's a different level of expectation anyway. The other two sets of four players are competing for top honours. Our four should be good enough to keep us in the league which, according to our manager, was all this season is supposed to be about. 

Why is this guy such a big deal? Can someone enlighten me? Is he the Mail's official Villa blogger, whatever that means?

Aston Villa blog: We're no longer a big club - big clubs aren’t involved in relegation battles every year

Aston Villa are a big club. We just have a disinterested owner and have produced very poor teams over the last 5 yrs. There's a difference.

• Like 1

I don't see the point in shouting at some blogger for raising an opinion or debating wether he's right or not.

It's all relative. Villa is big compared to Doncaster but, alas, as thing are we really don't matter. We're also-rans. That's the problem with Villa. It does hurt, and you may disagree with the wording of the blogger, but he still has valid points.

I'd really like this club to still matter.

With Allardyce going to Sunderland he will keep them up.

Which means we are in trouble. Big trouble.

we were in trouble anyway, we were going down whoever Sunderland appointed tbh

With Allardyce now taken, I'm considerably more worried about our prospects than I was. Now the obvious saviour is gone even if we do pull the trigger.

Â