Rudy Gestede

midian

If we're not whipping balls in the box this guy is just pretty useless. 

Agreed, but for me that doesn't mean he shouldn't be playing (and I'm not suggesting that's your point either).

Knowing what we all know about Gestede, I can't believe we don't keep him up top and get Amavi to cross balls in from deep, or wherever can can. As his second goal against Liverpool showed, he can score from chances, but he needs them to justify his selection.

Amavi, Gil, Veretout, Grealish can all put a good cross in. Rudy can bury them.

• Like 1

Westwood, Gil, Grealish, Veretout, Ayew and even Gabby can all handle the play with their back to goal if selected. Gestede can't so any move that relies on him dropping deep and linking play up is likely to break down. Therefore there's little point in him dropping deep at all if the result is possession will be conceded.

Keep him up top if he's going to be played and whip an aerial cross into him. He'll score if the ball is good.

If Tim wants a big man to link up play better then he should play Kozak instead.

It's absolutely our setup/personnel that is the problem - exactly as you've highlighted Isa.  We need smart runners to make room for and latch onto passes from Gil/Grealish/Traore/midfield as our primary approach to attacking.  Agbonlahor/Sinclair/Ayew actually look like they can do this... a bit, but their finishing may lack.

In any case, Gestede is a nightmare to defend against when he's attacking a cross.  If he's going to be the starting striker, we'd potentially be better off shifting Amavi to be a pure left-winger with a natural right-footer winger (Grealish? Bacuna? Traore?) on the other side.  Our squad isn't set up for that.

It's absolutely our setup/personnel that is the problem - exactly as you've highlighted Isa.  We need smart runners to make room for and latch onto passes from Gil/Grealish/Traore/midfield as our primary approach to attacking.  Agbonlahor/Sinclair/Ayew actually look like they can do this... a bit, but their finishing may lack.

In any case, Gestede is a nightmare to defend against when he's attacking a cross.  If he's going to be the starting striker, we'd potentially be better off shifting Amavi to be a pure left-winger with a natural right-footer winger (Grealish? Bacuna? Traore?) on the other side.  Our squad isn't set up for that.

I actually made a [half-] joke about us having to resort to promoting Amavi to the wing if Gestede remains but Christ, in seriousness, he is literally the only consistant outlet we have in that set-up! Traore appears to have the makings of a very effective winger but even he seems more the type who likes to make the byline and drill it in/cut it back rather than producing the sort of delivery that Gestede would appreciate. Bacuna is crap on the wing. So yeah, there is no way we can truly accommodate him. 

As uninspiring as the alterative striker options are, we must centre our offensive game around Gil and Grealish - two players of genuine class. That can only be done with Gestede dropped to the bench. I can't see any of the other forwards being particularly prolific either but as long as they possess an elementary level of movement and mobility, it will advance the quality of our play. 

However this is why I lost most of my enthusiasm for this season when the window shut and no major forward signing was made. 

Hes not good enough to be a starter in my opinion. Good rotation player.. but i would like to see Adebayor come in and be first choice as he would provide more than Gestede does to a match.

I hate how Tim Sherwood is organizing our side to create crossing opportunities for him to header. Why are we relying on 1 player to win games? Mix it up..

Will score against Chelsea. Amavi will murder Ivan unless he's dropped

Ivanovic will be back to his best form though so Amavi will have a tough time I'd imagine.

Well I suppose like Liverpool playing shite, manager under pressure etc there's no team you'd rather play right now than us

Honestly I think he's shite. His build up play is terrible, offers next to no movement. If we continue with the Amavi to Gestede as being our weapon to save us, then the Championship here we come.

Why are you judging him on things he doesn't even need to do? 

He's an out-and-out target man - he's just supposed to be in the box to get on the end of crosses and he can do that. 

Honestly I think he's shite. His build up play is terrible, offers next to no movement. If we continue with the Amavi to Gestede as being our weapon to save us, then the Championship here we come.

Why are you judging him on things he doesn't even need to do? 

He's an out-and-out target man - he's just supposed to be in the box to get on the end of crosses and he can do that. 

A target man who struggles to play with his back to goal, he slows everything down, his link up play is poor. Considering we only have Amavi and possibly Bacuna who can actually cross a decent ball, I think he's poor, if you just want him to head in goals but for me I'd rather our striker do much more.

That's not how he plays and that's not how all target men play. With him in the team, he should only be a finisher and someone who presses the opposition's defenders when they have the ball. 

If you've ever seen him press a ball, he has the resemblance of a Lamp post at times in his game.

Â