Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

46 minutes ago, pagan457 said:

He's my favourite player atm. I don't know why, just something about him. 

Me too. It's a team short on heroes but I really like his football and think he will develop into a real quality player. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's been poor this season. Very poor. The whole midfield 3 have been. 

We lost Delph and Cleverley and replaced them with players who weren't as good. Simples.

But it isn't that simple.

The biggest loss this season in our team was the big man up front- period! And the midfield was just as shocking if not more so for a very long time last season. Including Delph and Cleverley who only got their games together about this time last year and were terrible prior to that. Both were well below the standard we should be expecting of our midfielders. For instance most wouldve drove Cleverley back to manchester last season before the last few games he was that poor.

Granted, no player in midfield has pulled up trees this season but if you look at the deficiencies in the midfield, neither Gana or Veretout are the major factors in those. You only have to look at some of the other players to reason as to why we have been so poor.... Sanchez, Westwood, Bacuna, Sinclair, Grealish, even Richardson has played in there. I would say none of those have really contributed a lot this season before pointing the finger at Veretout for not being good enough.

I think both him, Gana and Gil have been very good at times and will get much better. They have at times made mistakes but so has every other player in the squad. And very seldom this season has Veretout played his natural position, either playing right or left of the midfield. The couple of occasions he has been in the 10 role he has been quality imo.

Out of all the players in central midfield Veretout is personally the one I would want to hold onto most, as over the next couple of years I believe he will become a proper top draw midfielder. I think at 22yrs old the kid has a bit of everything in his locker. I would also think that any decision Garde makes to stay will also be swayed by us holding onto Veretout amongst other players.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ok, he's great and he's been great all season.

No he hasn't been great all season, he has taken time to adjust as you would expect from a young player in a new country, which has resulted in a bit of inconsistency. However, he has been very good in a number of games to date and seems to be getting better all the time, so to suggest he is not as good as Tom Cleverly who gave us about 3 good games all year is simply ridiculous IMO. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

No he hasn't been great all season, he has taken time to adjust as you would expect from a young player in a new country, which has resulted in a bit of inconsistency. However, he has been very good in a number of games to date and seems to be getting better all the time, so to suggest he is not as good as Tom Cleverly who gave us about 3 good games all year is simply ridiculous IMO. 

Tom Cleverley is a better player than Jordan Veretout.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tom Cleverley is a better player than Jordan Veretout.

In which case mate I think we should just agree to disagree, Our opinions are simply to far apart. 

I do not think he has had a 'good' season yet, he has blown out and cold and has taken time to adjust. I do think he's a good player, good technique, good distribution, energetic and tries to orchestrate things on the field (this will improve as his English improves). 

I also like that he's forward looking, rather than just looking to pass sidewards, he's capable of playing good through balls. One thing that has really negatively impacted his success is the dog shit forwards we've been starting. Gestede and Kozak offer zero movement and have virtually no pace, it's very hard to play forwards like this through on goal. Now, with Gabby in the team, it's no surprise to me that Veretout got an assist via a through ball, Gabby will stretch defenses and look to get in behind, Veretout IMO is good at spotting these runs and playing the ball. I think we will see Veretout create more chances (and hopefully get more assists) with Gabby in the team. 

I think he has a good future to be honest, but my worry is that with us almost certainly going down this season, that he will not be sticking around next season. If that's the case then we'd likely lose money on him, and will not have accrued much benefit from his development and performances for us. Hopefully we can keep him, I think he'll run the show in the championship and be a good player for us in the premiership if we get automatic and immediate promotion.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Cleverley had about 5 good games for us.

He then went on to sign for about 70k a week at Everton and proceeded to have about 5 good games for them.

Veretout is better value and as Wainy said, has shown more than Cleverley did in a Villa shirt until about March.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cleverly is utterly terrible

Delphinho used to agree.

On 19/12/2014 at 11:13, Delphinho123 said:

I'm not Westwood's biggest fan (although I think he has improved a lot), but he is better than Cleverley.

Cleverley goes missing and is nowhere near good enough to be our attacking option in the midfield.

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Cleverley had about 5 good games for us.

He then went on to sign for about 70k a week at Everton and proceeded to have about 5 good games for them.

Veretout is better value and as Wainy said, has shown more than Cleverley did in a Villa shirt until about March.

To quote myself and add to it, Cleverley also had the luxury of 

-being older

-playing in the PL for years already

And he still was shit for the majority of his time here.

• Like 2

Â