Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

Doesn't surprise me that his passing isn't brilliant in the last 25 minutes, the guy is amazing throughout and does so much work on and off the ball. He must be shattered.

Watching him at the end running along Gabby was brilliant, he really gives it his all. I guess it'll be down to him whether he stays or goes.

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Best game in a Villa shirt for me. He ran himself into the ground. Nice to see that him and Veretout were the two last players off the pitch today and both seem to have plenty of passion for the club.

Totally agree with this, covered every blade of grass today and was certainly my MOTM.  Norwich midfield didn't have a second on the ball.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very good today, blows hot and cold in general, but faultless today.

Agreed, he is chalk and cheese. Its encouraging to know he is capable of these sorts of performances though, it suggests the class is there and his inconsistency is down to still getting used to the league. 

Agreed, he is chalk and cheese. Its encouraging to know he is capable of these sorts of performances though, it suggests the class is there and his inconsistency is down to still getting used to the league. 

I don't think he's chalk and cheese myself. He's been playing like this for a while now and has been our best player during our revival. I'm actually quite surprised he isn't given even more plaudits.

I thought he was even better against Palace.

• Like 1

I counted twice his last ditch defending save what could have been a goal....

... but I lost count of the amount of times he came up with possession in midfield.

I can deal with the odd missed tackle, foul or misplaced pass if we continue to get the overall performance I saw from him today.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

Very Des Bremner,  and I can't say higher than that.

We will have to learn to accept the odd awful NRC style pass, it is worth it.

Seriously? Gana is hit and miss but Des Bremner was part of a team who won the league and European Cup for me he's not anywhere near that standard.

He did play well today, probably the best that we've seen from him but this needs to be his normal game and not his best.

He has to set his standards higher, but as I said he did well today and as we have 13 "cup finals" to go the timing of his good form couldn't be better.

Aside from the Man City match, he's been our best player of 2016 so far.  Gana is much better in the defensive midfielder role than any of our other players.  He's stronger than Westwood, better on the ball than Sanchez, and has an outstanding work rate to boot.  Lescott and Okore have been getting a lot of praise for their defensive heroics lately, but Gana has played a large part in breaking up the opposition's attacks before they even start.  If he sees out the remainder of the season playing like this, someone bigger than us will come in for him this summer.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SeanO said:

Seriously? Gana is hit and miss but Des Bremner was part of a team who won the league and European Cup for me he's not anywhere near that standard.

He did play well today, probably the best that we've seen from him but this needs to be his normal game and not his best.

He has to set his standards higher, but as I said he did well today and as we have 13 "cup finals" to go the timing of his good form couldn't be better.

Indeed.

I meant very Des Bremner like in this game, I actually didn't think anyone would assume I meant he was as good a player. I agree it needs to happen regularly.

Having said that, fans can't have it both ways, Bremner was excellent in an excellent side. Swap the 2 around and Gana would look a lot better than now, Bremner wouldn't look so good as he did then.

• Like 1

He still played an awful ball yesterday, was trying to remember when and was reminded on the highlights as it lead to the Bassong chance.

Funny old game, he gets punished for that like he did v City and we go 1 down and probably lose and yet another 20 posts of what a load of rubbish Gana is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KSV said:

He was probably unfit before Duverne came as well. The whole side is looking fitter. Hoping for a Gerard houllier end to the season

Surely you mean Gary McAllister?

• Like 1

Â