Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership - TTIP

Xann

and to follow on from this @Awol, could you please explain the ideas that the UK has form at?

The Eat India company was a good one I'll give you that, but for as long as I've been alive the UK has been nothing but a neo-con inspired, let's privatize everything and try impress our American friends as much as possible hole! And now pretty much the entirety of UK policy is framed around keeping those charming chaps in the "city" happy... because of all the awesome things they produce, of course. Now, gambling on the other hand, that's bad, you hear that peons!

The strange thing about a potential exit of the EU is that those on the left are broadly in favour of it because the EU has become an instrument of the corporate dictatorship and those on the right are in favour of it because it hasn't become enough of an instrument of the corporate dictatorship.

It's those in the middle that are interesting. Of course the problem is that the majority of the people in the middle aren't in the middle by choice, they're in the middle because they can't be arsed and have no interest - these are the people that will decide, and they'll decide once Rupert has told them what they want. 

I'd love to see an EU with real social values, or a value's based UK political system, but both are likely as a lemon flavoured iceberg, so it's hard to see what we're going to get. 

One point earlier for AWOL - you wrote "it is really about whether we want our children and grandchildren to live in an independent country called the United Kingdom, or be a province subsumed within an EU Superstate." I have a feeling that notions of nationhood are on the wane, I don't think our grandchildren will care much for the name of the country they're in as long as they can buy the stuff they're told they want in it.

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The strange thing about a potential exit of the EU is that those on the left are broadly in favour of it because the EU has become an instrument of the corporate dictatorship and those on the right are in favour of it because it hasn't become enough of an instrument of the corporate dictatorship.

That's very unfair imo, most conservative leaning people I know are against remaining in the EU on the basis of national sovereignty and the issues around it, not so they can try and send people up chimneys.

I'd love to see an EU with real social values, or a value's based UK political system, but both are likely as a lemon flavoured iceberg, so it's hard to see what we're going to get.

You get what you fight for, us Brits are fortunate that we can win those battles with words alone.  

One point earlier for AWOL - you wrote "

it is really about whether we want our children and grandchildren to live in an independent country called the United Kingdom, or be a province subsumed within an EU Superstate." I have a feeling that notions of nationhood are on the wane, I don't think our grandchildren will care much for the name of the country they're in as long as they can buy the stuff they're told they want in it.

I think the opposite and that nationhood and national identity are on the rise not the wane, particularly in the European neck of the woods.  It's been a popular line for years that borders are irrelevant, a quick scan of the news most nights puts that theory in doubt. 

EDIT:  @Xann Sorry for thread drift, TTIP is shit.

Edited by Awol
Comment about shitness of TTIP

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Wrote some interesting replies.

I guess in the first case, I wasn't meaning the people, more the people they vote for. 

I don't think we can reclaim democracy with words, I think it's been sold out from under us - with words. We get to vote for governments and they're increasingly irrelevant.

You might be right, but I think as the corporate machine moves to remove barriers to doing business in whichever way it likes, it'll also move towards removing the differences between its consumers - through advertising, through control of government and through media. It's a natural progression.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The strange thing about a potential exit of the EU is that those on the left are broadly in favour of it because the EU has become an instrument of the corporate dictatorship and those on the right are in favour of it because it hasn't become enough of an instrument of the corporate dictatorship

And yet on VT it seems to be the left leaning voters that want to stay in the EU and the right leaning who want out 

mind you VT also pointed to a Green landslide in the last General Election :)

7 hours ago, Awol said:

In it's very basic form the decision isn't about whether or not Brexit means the UK economy will be 2% of GDP larger or smaller by 2030 (and I know you haven't even mentioned it but the economy is taking centre stage at the moment), it is really about whether we want our children and grandchildren to live in an independent country called the United Kingdom, or be a province subsumed within an EU  Superstate. That's not hyperbole, it is the stated intention of the European Federalists who dominate the EU institutions.

I hadn't mentioned the economy on purpose because that wasn't the point I was trying to make (I could refer you back to a previous post you made not so long ago about men of straw).

My point was about the short and medium term effects of a vote to leave (though how long it would take us to actually go on the back of a vote for leaving is anyone's bloody guess) on the continent and how that may affect us whether or not we viewed ourselves as 'sovereign', sufficiently isolated and insulated or removed from what may be happening on that continent. It wasn't about how the result of the vote would affect the EU or EU nations but how it may affect western Europe (and beyond) and no matter how we may vote we won't be moving the UK to the middle of the Pacific so it would still concern us.

The whole endgame discussion about the EU superstate is a worthwhile one to have as is one about the democratic deficit at the heart of the behemoth that is the EU but it needs to be had in conjunction with discussions about the issues with democracy within the nations that make up the EU and this all needs to be framed in the context of the comments that you yourself have made regarding immigration, border controls, the influence of big business and big finance, Russia, increasing nationalism across the EU, further economic turmoil, the EU as a force for preventing military conflict between major European nations and so on.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

I do love a good curry. :)

I'd love to be able to claim that I meant to say that given the colonial scumbaggery of them, maybe on a subconcious level or something, hungry now though... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xann said:

Having said that - This thread is about TTIP - A lot of different political views here, does anyone think it's a good idea?

The tories love it. So in or out of yurp, they'll be mad for it, spreading for Big Corp. Like I said earlier, instead of quibblling about benefits for Poles, they should be fighting on out behalf to have an open, democratic examination of TTIP proposals, not collaborating to keep give up the ability of nations (or the EU) to decline the overtures of multi-nationals, and surrender our legal systems primacy. 

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

Should have made it clearer - Anyone on VT think it's a good idea?

Ah, Sorry.

I doubt it, but then again, as the details are mostly in secret, except the odd part which has crept out, it's hard to be anything other than opposed to a secret deal, with courts and national /EU sovereignty  and consumer protection overridden in favour of big business. I guess there will be parts of it which might be beneficial, but we're not allowed to see any of it.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Ah, Sorry.

I doubt it, but then again, as the details are mostly in secret, except the odd part which has crept out, it's hard to be anything other than opposed to a secret deal, with courts and national /EU sovereignty  and consumer protection overridden in favour of big business. I guess there will be parts of it which might be beneficial, but we're not allowed to see any of it.

This. If it needs to be secret, it's bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

to save me having to read up on it just stick me down for the opposite of whatever blandy says as that seems to be where we fall in on every other policy discussion :) 

I thought we were the same on the snooper's charter, Tony?  - I even (accidentally, of course) might have done a like on one or two of your posts on it.

Obviously, yes, you're completely wrong on most things :) but on stuff that affects our liberties and freedoms, you're on the side of the lentil munchers and quinoa knitters

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

TTIP is a very bad excuse to vote for Brexit

Barack Obama gave TTIP the hard sell, but leaving the EU would only make the controversial trade deal more likely – and possibly worse

It’s true that TTIP is a symbol of all that’s wrong with Europe: dreamed up by corporate lobbyists, TTIP is less about trade and more about giving big business sweeping new powers over our society. It is a blueprint for deregulation and privatisation. As such it makes a good case for Brexit.

Until you remember that the British government has done everything possible to push the most extreme version of TTIP, just as they’ve fought against pretty much every financial regulation, from bankers bonuses to a financial transaction tax. While Germany and France were concerned about TTIP’s corporate court system – which allows foreign business to sue governments for “unfair” laws like putting cigarettes in plain packets – the UK secretly wrote to the European commission president demanding he retain it.

Grauniad

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

Grauniad [ TTIP is a very bad excuse to vote for Brexit ]

I think it's the most compelling of reasons to vote leave, personally, rather than an "excuse". Never mind all this gibberish about "ooh nasty foriners comin over here and doin' our jobs and stealing our houses and we pay them millions" crap. Secret deals, for secret courts and secret changes to laws that protect us, all conducted by big business and lobbyists away from the scrutiny of even the people we elect to govern the EU. It's shockingly rotten.

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

Grauniad [ TTIP is a very bad excuse to vote for Brexit ]

I think it's the most compelling of reasons to vote leave, personally, rather than an "excuse". Never mind all this gibberish about "ooh nasty foriners comin over here and doin' our jobs and stealing our houses and we pay them millions" crap. Secret deals, for secret courts and secret changes to laws that protect us, all conducted by big business and lobbyists away from the scrutiny of even the people we elect to govern the EU. It's shockingly rotten.

Â