Rugby World Cup 2015

Don_Simon

Financially the regions are on the edge but all part owned by WRU. The WRU bails them out - the hundreds of clubs I spoke of - pay fees to the WRU and in turn provide players to regions.

WRU have the Millennium Stadium of course - and that thing earns them millions. 

Wales rarely fail to sell out - tickets are 80 notes at least. Debentures are 12grand for 10 years. The money rolling through is good. Regionally not so but while the central contracts are here thats no issue. 

In terms of player development - take Matthew Morgan. He was developed by Bridgend Athletic - a div 1 side at seniors - signed by Ospreys at 16 and sent to Bridgend RFC (Athletic earn fee now) - plays LV Cup for Ospreys before signing for Bristol. Hes capped by Wales - Bridgend Ath get a fee.

While rugby remains part of welsh makeup this will work. Was suggestion Swansea and Cardiff city football clubs may impact this - but shared facilities at youth level seems to drive the rugby forward too

• Like 1

Really interesting insights those. Cheers.

Just out of interest, what is it about Andy Farrell that makes him a problem? Not being a dick - just genuinely don't know and would like to [emoji4].

My view on Lancaster has softened somewhat now I've calmed down a bit... He did a really good job of tidying up the mess left by Johnson and his predecessors and we've outplayed pretty much every other team in the world at some point during his tenure. I still think he monumentally ballsed up preparation for the World Cup, though. So it's a tough call.

With almost no knowledge of ruggerby at all this is a genuine question:

Has the deal whereby Wales were allowed to play two games quite literally at home come back to bite the organisers of the tournament on the backside? I know it was as a result of a long standing contract, but giving an opponent in your own 'group of death' two games at home, well, it's not exactly that old rule of tiny gains is it.

Possibly not, but you must wonder if the Fiji game could have gone differently if it had been played in Birmingham or Newcastle? Maybe?

I think that's an excellent point and I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it. I don't think it can be blamed for England going out but like you say, small margins. Who's to say Wales haven't been boosted by it almost seeming like a home World Cup for them? Fiji were certainly on the receiving end of a few dodgy calls. I remember thinking it was pretty crazy when the fixtures were announced. Not sure the exact process of how they ended up staging games but if it was in exchange for bid support as has been suggested, then it seems pretty unsporting behaviour to me...

I think that's an excellent point and I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it. I don't think it can be blamed for England going out but like you say, small margins. Who's to say Wales haven't been boosted by it almost seeming like a home World Cup for them? Fiji were certainly on the receiving end of a few dodgy calls. I remember thinking it was pretty crazy when the fixtures were announced. Not sure the exact process of how they ended up staging games but if it was in exchange for bid support as has been suggested, then it seems pretty unsporting behaviour to me...

Didn't we play at Twickenham for each of the group games in '99?

I must confess, I had thoughts along similar lines the other day but was coming at it from a different angle. One of the commentators made reference to the fact that the Irish games were at the biggest stadiums to satisfy their fans ticket requirements so I did a little compare. 

Ireland play at Wembley, Olympic park, millennium stadium x2.

Wales play all their games at the Millenium stadium.

England obviously play all their games at Twickenham.

Scotland play at Gloucester, Leeds and Newcastle x2. 

I know Newcastle could be argued on the basis of location but it hardly seems fair to me (a bitter, chip-on-the-shoulder Scot).

I can't remember to be honest! If we did then that's just as dodgy.

Exactly it.

The big thing of playing in Cardiff - the agreement was for 2 Wales fixtures - the then CEO of WRU Roger Lewis asked for the England game to be played there(!!!!)

There's more likely Kelly Brook accepting my offer of an evening of filth than that ever going through. I think that's why Australia game is being played at Twickenham rather than the Uruguay one.

Also remember - from a World Rugby perspective, they know they can sell the ground out at the extortionate price - so do it. :)

On England, they do have plenty of exciting players in their ranks, and I can them becoming a very strong team in a few years. Though I do wonder why their rebuild has taken so long. A few days ago I watched the Wales v Ireland game from 2009 (I know, I'm a sad git), and for both teams it was very much a last throw of the dice for a lot of players; both teams have changed completely with only a few old heads remaining. It didn't take long for those two nations to rebuild and both win back-to-back Six Nations. England have effectively been rebuilding since 2003, which I find, taking into account the resources available, quite amazing.

I do also think that England look short in some very key positions, namely at prop (Corbisiero is a huge loss) & in the back row. You can see the impact of those problems when teams refuse to let England play. When England are allowed to run the ball, they have an excellent back line (as long as Ford and Joseph are playing) and can score tries for fun. When it becomes a forward battle, and in particular a battle between the back-rows, things start going wrong very quickly.

I'm not sure why that is, or why it has taken so long for England rebuild.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

A lot of the backrow problem stems (in my opinion) from England sticking to this bludgeoning heavyweight ideal they have - Ben Morgan, Billy Vunipola (although I think he's a cracking player), James Haskell, Tom Wood - big blokes who add very little mobility. Sees Robshaw (who really in modern game should have a 6 or 8 on his back) trying to compete with faster guys who are usually hunting in packs. Heavyweight backrows are a thing of the past now - you don't need to be the size that someone like Haskell is - he's an absolute machine, granted, but limited in what he offers because he only has that strength.

I think Wales and Australia are blessed to have the backrows they have - the rumoured one Wales are putting out on the weekend (6 Warburton, 7 Tipuric, 8 Falatau) is a fantastic combination - but no monsters in there...

I think the direction and mould of whats viewed as an ideal bodyshape for a backrow player is skewed in England, partly due to sticking to what got the success in 2003-7, big heavy blokes.

One thing I will put on the RFU here - if they're going to sack anyone, they need to do it fast. There is no reason to hold on to management - if Lancasters going, sack him in the Etihad carpark.

Same with Farrell, Rowntree, Catt, Andrew.

Wales failed to get out of the group in 2007 and the King Turk boarded his flight home unemployed, still in his beige suit.

Pointless dragging it out with reviews etc - this has been coming for 4 years. Time to prepare for the next one.

Is their group that much easier than South Africa's?   Argentina on the opening weekend was a stiff test albeit one you'd expect the All Blacks to win. 

Group A was absolutely a group of death and Group D has a couple of decent sides (Ireland and France) who have both already qualified before they have to play each other for the right to avoid New Zealand in the quarters.  So far it's gone pretty much as New Zealand would have expected, surely?  When these pools were announced about three hundred years ago NZ would have expected to win the group, play Ireland or France in the quarter, one of England, Wales or Australia in the semi and South Africa in the final if it all goes to plan, seems like a decent ramp up to me. I can't imagine for a second they won't be ready for a the big games in the knockout phases. 

I really, really hope Scotland **** up and let Japan through...

Australia & Wales are fairly evenly matched but I can see the Aussies win because they have a bit more about them in attack. Wales are up for this however and have as good a backrow as any. Should be a good game.

Ireland v France... France have turned up & have better players so they should win but I think Ireland's fear of getting the All Blacks in the next round may give them the edge. I don't think the French are too bothered as they've beaten the Kiwis before and have a bit of revenge to dish out too. It's always a tight game though so it could come down to how well Sexton & Michalak kick.

Argentina are quietly (well, not so much judging by the crowds!) going about their business and I can see them undoing France or Ireland in the next round.

That was some of the best defence I've ever seen there from Aussies. Phenomenal. What a side they are. They just look fitter, stronger, quicker and smarter than everyone else. Not bad for a country where half the kids don't even know what union is!

• Like 1

Â