The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

The received wisdom from the media was that Labour should be lead by the most right wing Labour candidate available.

At the vote, it turned out the Labour party wanted a left wing candidate.

That man, an intellectual, a pacifist and a man seeking compromise and debate was relentlessly attacked by the media and made unelectable in the eyes of your average joe uninterested in anything deeper than the first page of a tabloid for their politics.

In that respect, yes, history does appear to be a bit of a loop.

• Like 3

The death of Healey is a strong reminder of where Labour went wrong in the 1970s and 1980s.

The rejection of Barbara Castle's 'In Place of Strife' (1969)(a) and the choice of Foot rather than Healey as leader (1980)(b), led to the election of Thatcher(a)and her subsequent eleven years in Number Ten (b).

Am I missing something? Thatcher was elected in '79 . . . 

What I am suggesting is that the rejection of 'In Place of Strife' led to the union disruption of the 1970s and the subsequent backlash (voting in the Tories) and that choosing Foot over the more moderate Healey, ensured that the Tories stayed in power. 

Being able to strut about looking important is what I'm looking for in a politician.

We could Opta Stat them, the Peacock Factor - 1 being Gandhi and Michael Foot, 10 Louis XIV and Mussolini.

We need more good peacocks in power - Galloway, Farage, I'm looking at you.

David Cameron's gait has picked up a wobble since the pig shagging thing.

• Like 1

Being able to strut about looking important is what I'm looking for in a politician.

We could Opta Stat them, the Peacock Factor - 1 being Gandhi and Michael Foot, 10 Louis XIV and Mussolini.

It has to be pointed out that to prove he is in tune with his government's austerity measures, Cameron has downgraded his suits from Savile Row's Richard James, which cost £3.5k, to Geoffrey Golding which are only £2k.

I'm probably not reading this correctly but are you saying we need more Galloways and Farages ??

I'm probably not reading this correctly but are you saying we need more Galloways and Farages ??

correct

you're not reading it the right way

With the death of Dennis Healey marks the end of the old Labour which stood for Nationalisation and unions. Not sure Healey supported those views but he was there under Harold Wilson.

So, the death of a 98 year old chap 'marks the end of old Labour' even if he didn't 'support those views' but he was old enough to be there under Wilson?

Is that you, Mr Hanna? :angry:

just a feeling mate. No need for the sarcasm.

The death of Healey is a strong reminder of where Labour went wrong in the 1970s and 1980s.

The rejection of Barbara Castle's 'In Place of Strife' (1969)(a) and the choice of Foot rather than Healey as leader (1980)(b), led to the election of Thatcher(a)and her subsequent eleven years in Number Ten (b).

Am I missing something? Thatcher was elected in '79 . . . 

What I am suggesting is that the rejection of 'In Place of Strife' led to the union disruption of the 1970s and the subsequent backlash (voting in the Tories) and that choosing Foot over the more moderate Healey, ensured that the Tories stayed in power. 

Nope even Thatcher herself said it was the Falklands that got her re-elected. Until then she had the lowest approval rating of any post war PM

Surprised the left aren't complaining about this new tax introduced today that unfairly targets the poor   ... really need a two tier bag system whereby the rich pay 7p for their plastic bags

Surprised the left aren't complaining about this new tax introduced today that unfairly targets the poor   ... really need a two tier bag system whereby the rich pay 7p for their plastic bags

Its the right that whine about green taxes

Nonsense. It won't affect the poor because they can just use the ones they are dressed in. I fully expect to see a resultant surge in public indecency charges as a result. 

• Like 1

new tax today?

been under that capitalist cosh for years

it works quite well once you get used to it, it's trivial, not sure it's the end of the world and the bringer of muslamic ebola spiders, but I'm sure the Daily Mail AND the Daily Mirror wouldn't be wrong on something so basic, so important, so I've got my fingers crossed you guys pull through this

#prayforbags

• Like 1

You know what they say about words said in jest...

Edit: On the use of bags, it's very rare that I don't take a bag for life with me when going shopping and when doing a week/fortnight shop I use the bags for life that are kept in the boot of the car. I really don't think it's a terribly difficult thing for people to get in to the habit of doing.

Edited by snowychap

I've been working on my script for the last few weeks.

Trying to get from a long moan about the tyranny of the Green lobby with their made-up facts and selective idiocy, leading to ridiculous regulation which treats a plastic carrier bag from one sort of shop differently to a plastic carrier bag from another, to 'Only 5p to save the planet? Give me ten!'.

The good news is that because they are now charging 5p, some shops have improved the quality of the bags.

M&S bags are nearly as good as they used to be. :)

• Like 1

Its the right that whine about green taxes

Ahhhhh but is alive and well it seems :)

Â