The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I think he made many many mistakes this season. But I also think the squad is complete garbage. I'd love to know how many Sherwood identified and signed. 

Doesn't change the fact he's a prick. If we'd have done well he'd have claimed all the credit. But if we are still utter shit under Garde then I'd probably be less critical over the start Sherwood produced with this squad.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

I'm with DVIN on this one. Sherwood did a good job keeping us up last season, but had his flaws exposed at the very end of the season. Then he was probably dealt a bad hand in the summer, I'm prepared to give him that, but he also showed no ability to get these players playing well. Okay, the squad is garbage, but we can't ignore the fact we hadn't won in ten Premier League games when he was sacked. Basically no manager can survive that, harsh or otherwise, and I think there was plenty of evidence that Sherwood wasn't helping, both on the pitch (high line at Southampton, FA Cup disaster, throwing away three points at Leicester, a few baffling lineups like WBA at home) and off it (weird interviews where it seemed like he'd lost his mind, rumours of splits in the squad etc.) 

Two things can be true at once. 1) Sherwood had the rug pulled from under him, for which he was unlucky, and 2) He wasn't doing a good enough job anyway. They're not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

My views on Sherwood won't change. I was willing to get behind him when he took over and even bought into the hype after the Sunderland game. The Southampton game set alarm bells ringing for me though. Absolutely clueless tactical setup and an arrogance to persist with it.

Completely found out this season.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 3

Personally think its more a case of the squad not being good enough rather than Sherwood being clueless. Whatever the tactics and Sherwood tried many different formations and tactics, results were the same. He managed to save us last season because of the contributions of 3 players who are no longer with us.

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Personally think its more a case of the squad not being good enough rather than Sherwood being clueless. Whatever the tactics and Sherwood tried many different formations and tactics, results were the same. He managed to save us last season because of the contributions of 3 players who are no longer with us.

That was possibly the biggest problem.

Literally nobody does that. For a reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yeah you summed up his inadequacies fairly well there.

Nope, but they have way more chance if the manager chooses a tactic that plays to their strengths, picks players in their proper positions, and persists with something he thinks will work, as opposed to just guessing every week and hoping something works.

• Like 3

Sherwood made a better start at Villa than Garde, he got the team playing to their strengths, its when things started going wrong and the loss of key players when he got muddled thinking.  People are so quick to forget the performances last season at Man City, Spurs and Sunderland, the home ones against Everton and West Brom and the cup semi-final. and focus on the Southampton and Arsenal games instead.

Lets wait and see on Garde before saying he's an improvement on the previous manager.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Garde has set us up correctly and made astute substitutions IMO.

Unfortunately he is being shown up by individual errors and school boy defending which will take much longer to turn around.

I thought Everton away was the worst performance by a long way, tactics and team selection was dreadful. I also thought the changes against Watford ruined our attacking play

• Like 1

Â